Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects F.E.D. Build, Y not a Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Apr 11, 2010.

1. OK, so some of you guys know I've been building a Front Engine Dragster for the Eagle Field Fresno Dragway Reunion C/GD (Cool Gas Dragster) but I haven't started a build thread since I've been posting the progress over on Rocky's thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430809 Well I figured it's time to start one so the rest of you that don't check in over there can see what I'm doing. It's almost ready and I think it will be done by the May 22nd event, wish me luck there is still a hundred little things to do. So here we go! :D

First job was to get a set of blueprints and gather some of the parts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made motor plates front and rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now I have a motor and trans. (C-4) to build around.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Next I needed a rear end to fit so here is the 9" Ford out of one of our '59 pickups, cut the axle housings and built a back brace.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we have something to lay the frame rails around, one thing that was found is that building it for a Y-Block you definitly need to deveate from the blueprints a little but they were bought more for a guideline than anything else. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. I turned out a bar to line the mains with the 9" rear so when we installed the motor tabs we know in the end it will all fit just right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also there is making the mounts for the rearend housing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  4. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Awesome, good to see some stuff being done with a Y-block. I've got a few (12) lying around.

5. Gotta have an engine and the only one I will go with is the Y-Block Ford, that's just how I roll. :p For the Eagle Field C/GD I need to stay with 325ci or less, this could have been done with a 312 but I like things a little differant so I wanted a 4" bore and a 3.2" stroke.

I started by taking what was a junk (freeze cracked) 292 block and bored all the cylinders out for 1/8" wall sleeves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They all have a possative step on the bottome to locate and .005" press fit in the top. The Y-block head bolt holes are out far and cast to the block walls so flex wont be a real problem with the cylinder walls gone for support. Also I'm filling the block completely and only cooling the heads.
    [​IMG]

Next step was a de-stroked 292 crank (3.3" to 3.2") and cut down the counterweights for easy balance.
    [​IMG]

I'm using chebbie rods so the thrust needed to be narrowed to fit the Y journal.
    [​IMG]

align honing to keep everything strait.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  6. Mark Williams axle with Anglia spindles. The pin bosses that came on the axle were a little small so we replaced them with the bosses that came with the spindles, much beefier. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No front suspention so this is the axle mount we came up with, actually got the idea from looking at some old pix of one of Tommy Ivos old cars.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20* caster angle
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Can't wait to see it run......nice work.

8. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

9. Vendome

Vendome

Wow! What a great build! I recognize the marine front cover, is that also the marine pan? Are you going to circulate water in the heads or leave it static?

Good luck with your deadline!

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Sweet! I always wanted to do that. It's on the bucket list.

11. Back to the engine. The cam is one we used in the "Yellow Brick" but was a bit too much for the small cubic inches (258) so since I had it all broken in just thought it might work with this engine. ;) We are on a budget after all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crank and cam installed. ARP main studs and double roller timing set.
    [​IMG]

Clevite bearings and Keith Black "Claimer" pistons, flat tops of course.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Heads are ported "Posted" ECZ-G castings with stainless 2.02" in 1.6" ex valves.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To top it all off I will be running a set of three 94s on an Edelbrock 573 intake and a set of home made "Zoomies" also a baffled marine oilpan and timing cover.
    [​IMG]

12. Next we had to do radius rods, stearing box mount and drag link.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finished up the rearend housing too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Picture of me dreaming. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

13. Little things are important, and there are a lot to a project like this. mounts for everything like radiator, shifter, brakes, fuel pump and it goes on and on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Add the roll cage and certifacation then it's down on it's wheels. This is as far as I am for now but we are working on it constantly so I will have more soon. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me deaming again. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

15. I also got my engine running today, have a listen! Happy Birthday to me! :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/E0NvpedlXFk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/E0NvpedlXFk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  16. -Brent-

-Brent-

IT SOUNDS AWESOME!!! I really want to send my coupe project's Y-Block to you. Awesome stuff, as always.

17. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Congrats Tim, That is ^&*$%* COOL!

18. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Man o man that is the coolest thing I have seen here in a while! Y blocks rule

19. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

How much power is that beast making? Approx.

20. Oh man that is sweet music. Nice build. Love Y-blocks.

21. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Wow!!! That looks absoulutly bitchen!

22. Ah Tim you did it again,

Great project dude, cant wait to see this finished,

That Y is Sofa King Cool,

JG

23. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Tim,
    Car looks great, motor build was great. Motor sounds killer for a "Y" block. Hope the car runs straight and true for you and enjoy the ride.

Cliff Ramsdell

24. John in Oz

John in Oz

Thanks for sharing that with us, what a fantasic build. Please keep us posted.

Thanks, John

25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Gonna be great. You go Tim.

26. Very nice work. I am impressed
    Don

27. rooman

rooman

Nice work Tim, good luck at Eagle Field.

Roo

28. Not sure of the HP but I'm hoping for 1.1 per cubic inch. we will do a dyno pull when it is in the chassis and I will certainly video and post it. The HP will go up quite a bit with a single four and tuned exhaust but for now it just looks cool with the three 94s and zoomies. :D

29. Ford Fairlane

Ford Fairlane

This should be fun to watch. You build some sweet runnin Y motors.