Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Impala What do you think I should do with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Adam M., Apr 10, 2010.

1. Well I came across this car and I felt sorry for it, so I brought it home. I bought from a guy who just loved the car. He's owned it for sometime and it meant alot to him. I believe he drove it home from Colorado. Last winter he had it stored, and the building colapsed crushing 12 cars. It smashed the roof, damaged the fenders and caused a few dents. He hung onto the car for a year, now I have it.

I bought it to part out, but now I kinda like it. I thought maybe getting a roof, then maybe a wagon body, or a 2 door, then I thought El Camino!. Then I thought maybe put the engine in my Model A instead of a flathead like my original plan. Then I thought maybe I should sell it whole and let someone else make the decision.

The car runs and drives, the frame looks perfect, floor looks good, the bumpers and grille are near mint, tailight lenses are mint! It has a 283 with a powerglide and a posi rear. He put new carpet in it, had the seats redone, and the steering wheel is soooo nice. Then he sends me what the car looked like and a copy of the original bill of sale with all the options listed! It still has the original dealer badge, I'm the fourth owner and it only has 44,000miles on it.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. Here's what it looked like before the accident. The original bill of sale it really neat. And it came with another door!

Attached Files:

3. Try this one

Attached Files:

4. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

well its a four door so im sure finding a donor roof would not be to hard. or just sell it. parting out might make you more money but alot more time. just my 2 cents

5. And this one. I had to resize the last 2

Attached Files:

6. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Being a four door you should be able to get another roof with ease. It merrits fixing....and then juice/bags.

7. The white walls came with the car, but were flat when I picked it up. The ones on it in my driveway I borrowed from a friend

8. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Save it. Love '59 Impalas

9. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

I get the history/emotion of the car. It deserves another chance and you volunteered.
    Find a donor roof and drop it down a bit and drive it like it has a soul. I always loved the two tone on those 59's. Good luck.

10. Sucker would be an El Camino here without skipping a beat!

11. Find a donor roof and rebuild that thing!

12. ken1939

ken1939

My dad had one of those :) That was his second car, 53 Chevy first. Then to a 66 Olds Cutlass with a 425.

13. Heo

Heo

Ita a 4 door its an organ donor;)

Seriously it got smashed roof
    4 dented fenders trunk and hood
    is it worth the cost and work
    on a fourdoor post?

14. rivguy

rivguy

Fix the thing. It deserves it.

15. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I would see what kind of parts you can find, if you find a roof then fix it. If not I would take the sawzall to her and start the El Camino conversion. What ever you do it looks like a nice solid car (except the roof) and it should be brought back and not parted out like some old rusted pile crap.

16. I say find a donor roof and chop it, make it into a 2 door car more work but it wood be sick

17. redoilman

redoilman
    from iowa

With only 44k on the clock without any rust, I'd take a stab at it!. Find a roof and fix it. They don't make these any more, and parting out it out would be one less one in the world even if it is a more door.

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

19. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

That one is too solid to part out. I would consider finding another 4 door roof to fix it or a four door long roof to convert it. I think the baron has a cool idea re-roof with a chop and I'd add bags; Wicked cool.

20. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

El Camino it.

21. Toner283

Toner283

Fix it or sell it to somebody who will. that car is too complete & in too good of shape to part out.

If you decide to sell it, let me know I might know someone interested.

22. Oh ya and it has a clean Ontario ownership (or title if you prefer to call it!)

23. Fix it. Fix it. Fix it. Fix it!

24. Sauli

Sauli

Well There You go, what more do You need? Seriously, I´d have to agree the car is way too nice a survivor and has too much history to part out into oblivion, I don´t care how many doors it´s got. Looks like the best thing to do would be swapping in a similar roof from another 4dr car and call it done, shouldn´t be too difficult finding one considering the number of 4drs already parted out elsewhere.
    Forget the wagon/Camino -conversions. Hardly worth it, considering the vast differences between these bodystyles and Yours. If You must have a wagon or a Camino instead, I think You´d make out best by starting out with one to begin with. Just my 2c. Best of luck, keep us posted.

25. John in Oz

John in Oz

Because of the availability of most of the parts there I would for sure fix it up, and heven forbid maybe even restor it then do you custom add ons from there.

26. I vote fix it! how hard is it to get a windshield for that car? looks like a good roomy cruiser.

27. knucklescars

knucklescars

More-door mild custom boulevard cruiser. Drop, shave, drive. (after the destruction is repaired)

28. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

29. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

I would try to jack the roof back into place before taking a sawall to it.You have nothing to lose. I dont know your skills. Try to save it first with out putting any more money into it. Than just drive it you might not like it. I mine being stock.

30. They're not making any more of these, right ! :D
    Yepp, should be fixed and put back on the road, stock or kustom.
    / primerkid

Attached Files: