Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Olds front suspension

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudson hot rod, Apr 9, 2010.

1. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

Quick question for the Oldsmobile gurus out there, did all 54 Olds's have knee action front shocks? Got a 54 here without, is it stock or has it been changed? Thanks for any help. Ken

2. Knee action went away with the 40s body style as far as I know.

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

54 was the last year for that type of front suspension,it could be a very late 54 with a 55 front suspension.

4. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

I was wondering the same thing, so is there a chance it could be a complete 55 frame or just the front suspension? Also does anyone know where the vin#'s are on the frames of 54-56 Olds's?

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its possible it could be on a 55 frame since a 54 and a 55 are very similar and I have no idea on where the vin is stamped.

6. hudson hot rod

hudson hot rod

still looking for info on frame vin location on 54/55 oldsmobile.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What do you mean by "knee action"? That was a Chev. suspension from the late 30's. Gm cars in the early 50 used shocks inside the coil springs, the spindles incorperate eccentrics at the uppers and lowers for adjustment, kingpins and bushings rather that ball joints, but NOT knee action suspension. Earlier designs used a shock integral to the upper control arm, but this is NOT knee action, just a lever shock that uses the upper A arm as the shock lever. That went away in '49.

8. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

50's Buicks had 'em.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The shock that was integral on the upper control arm was used untill 54 on the olds,the other brands might have quit using it earlier but my 53 88 had them and I was considering changing it over to a 55/6 type upper control arm and shock system but found NOS upper control arms and rebuilt it as is.

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I stand corrected. Have had GM cars of every make but Buick and Olds from the early 50's and they all had shocks inside the coils as "normal". My '48 Chev and Pontiac have (had) the upper control arm shock.

11. 57 olds still had the upper control arm combined with the shock.

12. Moondog13

Moondog13

My '54 Olds had the knee action.

13. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

the vin number is stamped on the top side of the frame in 2 places on the passenger side. in the front near the body bolt with the bracket that come out from the side of the frame, and in the trunk area between the top of the arch and the trunk body bolt. you will need a good mirror or the body off the frame to see them. I am doing a frame off restoration on my 54 olds.

14. chitle

chitle
    from ventura CA

My 53 88 has upper control arm shocks. just bought some rebuilt ones. they work good , But verry expensive.!