Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

2. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Scotty

Sorry to hear that you will have to part with the car. I know how you feel after having sold the Wheatley Brother's '55 SD. Hopefully it will find a good home and be correctly restored.

3. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Paul here,
    Just joined this great site.
    Great stuff from the 60's and 70's.
    Truly 'Unbelievable'..
    My background, raced with my father at Dover Drag Strip, New York.
    68' thru 75'.
    Followed the likes of Lou and Tony Centolanza, Charlie Castaldo and
    Joe 'Trick Tank' Kenney.
    Of course we hit, New York National Speedway, Lebanon Valley,
    Connecticut Dragway, Maple Grove, Island and Englishtown.
    Lots of stuff to add, and post.
    Paul,,,

4. Interior is all done! Just missing the tachometer still, but I'm on it...

-Dean

Attached Files:

5. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

See now THATS the spirit of APRIL 1st!

:cool:

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Dude your KILLIN me ! NICE!

what type of tach would these of had?

:cool:

7. 57maddman

57maddman

Let me know what the price is for Tokyo Rose I have been gathering parts to build a delivery but still need a decent body...... Thanks, Maddman

8. Thanks WagonKiller! They ran a Sun and/or Stewart Warner Tach. The Sun transmitter box is still mounted on the driver's side kick panel. Sometimes they ran both tachs just to get contingency money if they won :D ...I had a lead on some rare Stahl tachometers, but I can't seem to get a hold of the guy.

Check your pm's too about the Tokyo Rose!

-Dean

9. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

That Bill Shrewsberry E/S 340 Dart (Post #5856) is a 68' 'GTS' car.
    Besides the 68' Winternationals, I think that car also made it to the Hot Rod Magazine Drags at Riverside, California in March 68'. After that???

The 'Car Craft' giveaway car (Post #5869) is a 69' 340 Dart 'Swinger'.
    It did run at the 69' NHRA Winternationals, in F/S.
    My mother filled out a 'Car Craft' entry blank...They never called!!

Paul

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Paul,

Hello and welcome to this forum! I've been following the Original hemi dart information thread over at that 'other' forum, that's how I know who you are!

Best regards,

Pete

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=13002

11. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Ditto!

Pete :)

12. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    Thanks,
    I started gathering 68' Hemi data back in August 1968. Right after John Macey parked his 68' Hemi Cuda 'Heads Up' SS/BA next to my fathers 67' 273 Cuda J/S, at the end of the pits at Dover Drag Strip, NY
    As soon as John fired up the Hemi Cuda, the 'bug' hit me.
    You know, the Hemi is a little louder than a 273. OUCH-I-MAMA.
    Thanks again,,I follow your posts also..
    Paul

13. ScottV

ScottV

OK guys I have an opinion question for everyone.

What would you think of a Junior Stock tribute car. Kinda like you see alot of Stock cars. Maybe one that looks like a Junior Stocker but maybe more modern drivetrain or something a little more driver friendly ???

The reason I ask it that an acquaintance recently bought 1957 Pontiac 2 door sedan, it looks totally stock but has been upgraded underneath with late model disc brakes (power) and has a 1977 Pontiac 400(not the W72) with a TH-200 4R overdrive auto. It is a nice driver, but as he put it "It is dull and needs some pizzazz". My thinking was do a Junior Stocker makeover !

What do you guys think ???

Thanks, ScottV

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  14. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Scott V,
    If you build a Junior Stock 'tribute car'.
    Then you have to put the McKellar #7 or Isky E2 Camshaft in the trunk, just like
    they did 'back-in-the-day', for dealer installation!!!
    Paul

15. ScottV

ScottV

I wouldn't be building it ... but I am encouraging him to !!!

If I did anything like this it would be a tribute/replica of my great-uncles Buick.

16. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

I guess when you call it a "tribute" car then it should be as close to original as possable. If you want to play then build a "Clone" or "Nostalgia" Jr. stocker and race one of the nostaliga circuts such as the M.A.N.D.R.A. Just dont screw it up like most of the MANDRA cars and put a stupid hood scoop on it when the body style being used never came with one. Try to use wheels from that era (painted or maybe Cragar S/S type wheels. Go for the period correct look. Its a bracket race but that makes it affordable. If its a street ride or dual purpose care then the TH-200 4r is a good choice due to a better grear ratio spread and the approx 69% overdrive over a 700 R4. If you want to use that trans as a race unit it needs some up grading to survive some grunt. The engine modifications are wide open as long as your wallet can stand the strain....lol. Just my 2 cents on this.

17. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Paul, you were a lucky kid!

Pete

18. jakethefake

jakethefake
    from fla.

the year is 66 or 67. Powder Puff Sunday ,at VARGO DRAGWAY ,about 8 or 10 ladies show,final run pits ANNE WORRELL ,Jacks Wife ,against ,ED BYERS lady,EDS.car is a mid 50"s PONT. JACK"s car a 50 olds 98 ,2dr.fastback.after a big handicap ,ANNE wins her one and only Trophy,she was elated .sorry to say ANNE passed away in 1995.this was over 40 yrs. ago .it is the best i can remember.i hope i did not bore anyone JAKE please excuse the spelling#

19. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Ed Beyers car was a '56 Pontiac.....we raced at Vargo at least once.......I kind of recall that the track was not flat.....had a dip down at the end or past the end.....made for an odd view from behind the starting line....

20. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Pete,
    1968, 12 years old, and working in my fathers West Road Amoco gas station & Performance Center.
    Wouldn't trade that in for a Million Bucks.
    I got to ride in just about every Musclecar ever made.
    Better than any ride at 'Great Adventure':)
    Have a Great Week.
    Paul

21. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

Here are some pictures for early Pontiac lovers. The earliest is a picture of Alan Mandella's 1955 Pontiac E gas car which was raced at Pomona in 1963. The others are pictures os Alan's 1958 Pontiac wagon which was raced at the 1968 and 1969 Winternationals. There is also a picture of Lindy Lindholm 1956 Pontiac Formula 5 F/SA which was raced on the AHRA circuit ins southern California and Arizona. Lindy ran the same class as my yellow 57 Ford which produced many grudge races.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  22. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Thanks Tony they are great pics..............love wagons

23. bob shirley

bob shirley

Mecum has a 1957 2 door pontiac going on the block this coming saturday.triple carb'd
    nice car

24. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Cool pictures Tony.......I was in love with Pontiacs even though we raced a Chevy! I had a '58 Chieftain.....raced it a few times and went in the 14's street driven....

We had a '58 Pontiac wagon as a tow car for a while and that one was a real boat and burned oil at an alarming rate!

I had a '67 GTO at one time very similar to one that sold at Mecum's over the past weekend......Damn I wish I had that car back now! Was a beauty and my wife drove it usually but was always hitting curbs with my wide tires and Cragers! I don't wish I had her back...just the car!! LOL

25. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Awesome stuff Tony

26. YORK NOSTALGIA REUNION

We are going to close entry acceptance at the end of April.
    If there is anyone still planning to bring a junior stocker now is the time to enter.

Dom

27. Can't wait Dom! There's going to be a lot of all-nighters in the garage soon to get this thing ready! :D
    -Dean

28. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Not sure of what post # it was.
    But the Chevy Wagon,,'Hatch's All-American' was based right up the street from my fathers shop, on Washington Street, Peekskill, NY.
    An N/SA and O/SA 'dynamo',,,owned by Gary ?? 283/220HP.
    Ran damn near right on the record in 70'/71'.
    A 'Nice Car'
    Paul

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  29. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Paul, I was 10 in 1968 and like you, already into cars. Seems like every service station that you rode past had at least one supercar on its premesis and/or a drag car. To a young kid who just started building model cars the year before, seeing and hearing these full-scale versions of hot rodded cars and brand new supercars was and still is, in retrospect, an indescribable thrill! You had to experience it (and you did).

Yes indeed, money can not buy all those great memories. I just wish our minds had perfect recollection or a "rewind" button to relive all those great times. :D

Best regards,

Pete

30. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Is that it? No more "Lies and Rumors" to read? Did everyone just die after 308 pages?