Register now to get rid of these ads!

1955 1956 DODGE STATION WAGON ...Pics...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stationWAGONS, Mar 25, 2010.

1. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Never seen many - ever. found a really nice 1955 with a Poly motor, no rust...good price. Might even run.

Thought it would be cool, but a Dodge?

Neer even seen a picture of anything cool done to one, that would be good inspiration...

anyone?

2-4 dr or even a cool 4-dr sedan cruiser.

Thanks!

2. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

Talked to a guy about this one about a week ago, its in FL for around $3800.00 I really like it. Not a dodge but still Mopar.

Attached Files:

• wag.jpg
      wag.jpg
      File size:
      111.4 KB
      Views:
    • wag1.jpg
      wag1.jpg
      File size:
      154.6 KB
      Views:
  3. My '56 Plymouth 2-door wagon. If I decide to hang onto it, it's getting a '69 440 and automatic. Just a matter of installing it! The before and after, so far...!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

5. ramrod36

ramrod36
    from Upstate NY

Here's a shot of one I saw at a show last summer. A bit rough around the edges but a good starting point. The owner has just picked it up after a long time sitting outside but it ran well and was reasonably complete. The 55 Plymouth is mine and this shot shows it after I got done with the paint and added the roof rack (a 56 option), and after-market Lancers.

Attached Files:

6. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Thanks guys...and finally aDodge i there, too! I was starting to think there were none...any more?

The Plymouths were a little more refined, weren't they...

Here is what I have found. Known about it for a while...I am just a Chevy person so I don't really know what I would do with it,.

But even here there aren't many unrestored '55...anythings this decent!
    Even has the wheel covers.

Love to see more! The orig. 2-dr with the coral color is nice.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  7. whats the guy askin for it???? looks solid.... Im a dodge guy, but Nevada is quite a drive

8. Here's a couple:56 D-500 w/2-4barrels and 3-speed manual trans taken at the Dean Run many years ago.The other two were taken by a friend of mine out east so I have no info on them.The delivery was fabricated from a regular wagon.

Attached Files:

9. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Cool - there are so few pictures around, these are 2 of the only I had found, restored or not...

I am just referencing the pictures, but I will say they are on someone's website with cars for sale, in SD.
    I did not want to just USE the pictures, so I got links to them...hopefully THAT he won't mind, since it will take you to a site where he has cars for sale)...
    Don't know the guy, but these have been on there a few years...

1955 2-dr, on the ground for like $1100.
    Rougher 1956 Sierra ($975., I think...?). (!).

...Hmmm...1 here is a good deal, I think.
    ======
    Look...wish the '55 Sierra had more stainless like this...

LF=
    http://www.restorablecars.com/images/56Dodge_Wagon_lf.jpg
    LR=
    http://www.restorablecars.com/images/56Dodge_Wagon_lr.jpg
    RF=
    http://www.restorablecars.com/images/56Dodge_Wagon_rf.jpg
    ENGINE=
    http://www.restorablecars.com/images/56Dodge_Wagon_engine.jpg
    DASH=
    http://www.restorablecars.com/images/56Dodge_Wagon_gauges.jpg

Attached Files:

10. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

More? Thanks, guys!

11. The 1956 movie "High Society" featured this salmon colored 1956 Chrysler wagon. Looked sharp!

Steve

Attached Files:

• 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
  12. Squablow

Squablow

13. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Very nice wagon. These cars are dimensionally very similar to a 55 Chevy with similar length and wheelbase. You can almost bet you will have the only one at any car show and the fifties styling is all there and very attractive. A small hemi is pretty much a direct bolt-in. If you do not buy it let us know and some lucky HAMBER will get a nice ride.:)

Check these links out:
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29345&posts=33&start=1
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28900&posts=19&start=1
    http://www.forwardlook.net/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27310&posts=24&start=1

14. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

Actually, the Plymouth was similar to the Cheby in '55-56 with a 115" wheel base.

The '55-56 Dodge came with a 120" wheel base that was shared with the low end Desotos. The upscale Desotos shared a 126" wheel base with Chrysler. The Chrysler LeBaron came with a 133" wheel base.

The 1955-56 Canadian Dodges, were 115" Plymouth chassis and body with a Dodge front clip - known by many as Plodges.

I am currently doing a '56 Sierra wagon, but it is not "Traditional"

15. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Heres the Plodge I own......
    [​IMG]
    :)

16. You have a heck of a job ahead of you :eek: ...joe

17. melsfine39

melsfine39

Here are some photos of a VERY rare 1956 Dodge D-500 Hemi wagon. Original owner was Marice Petty, Richard Petty's brother and engine builder for many years.
    The motor is a high compression, dual four barrel Hemi. One of about 95 made and the wagon is one of possible two made with the D-500 package(note the cross flag emblem on the front and rear marking it as a D-500).
    The D-500 had the dual quad Hemi,bigger brakes off the Chrysler Imperial, heavy duty springs, and wider than stock wheels. This wagon also has a three speed trans with a electric operated overdrive. I rewired the wagon for its current owner a few years ago.He has been restoring it for the last six years and its almost done. Its a very cool and rare piece. Mel:D

Attached Files:

• 156.jpg
      156.jpg
      File size:
      358.8 KB
      Views:
    • 154.jpg
      154.jpg
      File size:
      356.5 KB
      Views:
    • 149.jpg
      149.jpg
      File size:
      271.5 KB
      Views:
    • 150.jpg
      150.jpg
      File size:
      328.1 KB
      Views:
    • 146.jpg
      146.jpg
      File size:
      259.6 KB
      Views:
    • 151.jpg
      151.jpg
      File size:
      342.8 KB
      Views:
    • 152.jpg
      152.jpg
      File size:
      328.1 KB
      Views:
  18. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

One of the ones I was thinking of!!! :)

19. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

'
    Yeah, but not a total disaster. The windshield frame and glass are intact and it appears to have the top bows. The one door that we can see looks bad, but it can be saved. I have a good friend that is doing a '50 Olds conv that started with much much less.

It seems a real shame to use that 2dr post for a donor - it's a nice piece! I would shop around for another donor if it were me.

20. George

George

I'ed agree with that last comment!:eek:

21. My friend Howard's Canadian built Plodge

Attached Files:

22. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Cool,, a 56..

23. Squablow

Squablow

The donor car is a 4 door. It would be easier to start with a 2 door hardtop, but I already had the green car, plus it seems a shame to cut up a good 2 door hardtop. I've done a similar deal with a GTO to make a convertible using a Buick Skylark donor, I'm confident I can pull it off.

I do know where a junk '56 2 door hardtop is and I plan to get the doors and front seat out of it to help with my convertible. It'll probably be a few years before I start on this project, so I'll collect pieces for a while and drive the 4 door around as-is in the meantime.

24. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Cool - I like it! Any more?

25. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Here is the one I found, keep procrastinating about buying it. It's a Dodge...don't know what I'd do with it...but it's so solid.

Base model Sierra, so it has the Poly Motor...not surprised...but peopl I mention it to turn up their nose at that engine, if keeping it stock is theoption.
    Inherent problems with 'em?

This one turns, that's all I know about it. Guy has had it for years...almost no rust from what I have seen.

Really straight. Even has the hubcaps.

I Dunno. As soon as I'd get it I would find another Chevy I'd rather dump funds into., and decide to sell it, I know..!

But it's nice. And it's pretty cool. Needs to be saved.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  26. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

The 270 poly was a pretty good engine. Basically a hemi with a canted valve setup similar to a 396 - 427 Chebby -

Check for rust around the B-pillars, door sills and the recesses in the floor where the body mounts and muffler heat shields are installed. Also the area below the tail lights where the splash pan is attached.

Dare to be different!
    I go to a lot of car shows - Goodguys etc - where you are knee deep in Tri Five Chebbys and other GM wagons. On the other hand I have seen 1 - '55 Plymouth wagon, 1 - '56 Plymouth wagon and no 55-56 Dodges.

27. 35desoto

35desoto

If its a 56 wouldn't it have the 315 poly engine?
    You can still hot these engines up and make good street engines out of them - a little know how and perserverance makes them an excellent candidate for something unusual Hell if you don't want it I'll take it - all the way to New Zealand!!

28. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

ohmygawddotheygetanybetterlookingthanthat?????

29. Conrad_AZ

Conrad_AZ

The wagon in the photo is a '55.
    In '56 they had the Red Ram which was a 270 Poly. It produced 189HP with a 2bl carb. The Super Red Ram which was a 315 Poly came in a 2 brl carb version which produced 218HP and a 4brl version that output 230 HP.
    The D500 which was a 315 hemi. The D500 came in two versions - a 4 bl producing 260HP and a dual quad version producing 285HP.
    The D500 option was available on any body style. Unfortunately, I have been trying to find build numbers by body type/trim level for the '55-'56 MOPARS, but there doenst seem to be any detail production numbers.
    In '55 Dodge offered a 241 and a 270 Poly and a 270 Hemi these are refered to as low deck engines. In '56-57 they offered a 315-325 high deck engine. Unfortunately parts from the low deck series and high deck series are not interchangeable. BUT: If you have a 315 poly and you find a set of heads from a 315 or 325 hemi you are in business! Speed parts for the 315-325 are getting hard to find and are spendy.
    As for me, I went with a 5.7 hemi and 545RFE which fits quite well in a '55-'56. Not traditional, but cheap and easy...

30. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Sweet - thanks. Any more pics of thea 1955-56 base, Sierra like this one I found?