Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shopping for car insurance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Apr 3, 2010.

1. I'm shopping for insurance so I can finally get my car insured and registered. I also did a search on here and the two most popular seem to be Hagerty and Grundy. I also did some google searches and I did come up with a few conflicting stories (big surprise) one of the biggest ones was that if you have Grundy ins. they will not cover you if you are not going to a car function or just cruising i.e., if you stop at a reasturant to eat or you stop at the ATM or something like that. Also, if you stop at a motel for the night you are not covered. I certainly hope this isn't true. I guess whomever I decide to go with I should request a written copy of their terms and exemptions.
    Anyone else have good info on collector car company? Thanks, Todd

2. As I've posted in other insurance threads, State Farm is pretty good, agreed value, no tough restrictions on driving, no anal requirements about the car having finished paint on it, etc. I just have regular plates on the car. You might try searching for insurance here on the board, there should be multiple threads about it.

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Well, I got liability only. So I guess I'm not really covered for anything other than the damage I do to others. If cheap insurance is the goal, I have it. But if you want all the bells and whistles, you gotta pay a price. I would have thought all the big names would have similar if not identical plans.

I have JC Taylor and have never had a claim or an incident.

So if your ins carrier is saying no coverage at a hotel or restaurant, then that must be where the risk is so high that they won't insure. Interesting.

4. 61falcon

61falcon

i have state farm on the daily drivers and on the Falcon. we agreed on a value and that was pretty much it. i call in the spring to get it switched from storage to full coverage and back to storage in the fall. having the falcon with the same company as the daily drivers gets me multi car discount too.

5. I just renewed for the 4th year with hagerty on my 49 plymouth. rates are good, no deductible and I have no mileage restrictions, and we have an agreed on price. I am a happy camper with them

6. ken1939

ken1939

You must have a different agent for State Farm. They screwed me on my 39 Chevy only wanting to insure it for what I paid for it. Things may have changed, I am not sure.

7. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

I have Hagerty. Full coverage with an ageed value for $250 a year.

8. grundy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

You have to be careful on what you are actually getting. A company may agree on a "stated" value but that doesn't mean that is what they will pay you.

The agreed "stated" value on my new car might be $25,000. In four years it gets totalled I'm not getting $25,000.

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I say Grundy as well... Best value I have seen for a collector car with good quality as well.

Pick up the phone and call these companies. They will answer your questions. You don't want to find out later that you don't have the facts because you asked someone else to answer your questions.

Call them and then decide which one fits YOUR situation.

11. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

type grundy or hagerty into search ..... there was at least 11 pages of reading material I just looked.

I have Hagerty on 2 cars, no issues.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I have Grundy and I know I am covered every single second of the day no matter where/when Big Olds is...except on a dragstrip/race track....period.

13. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have Hagerty and pay $100 a year with unlimited miles too ! Who ever you get , stick with a good name insurance company ! Remember you only get what you paid for !

RetroJim

14. cwayne

cwayne

I've had both Grundy for 5 years on my Roadster and Nomad, the only bad thing i can say about them is they limited my miles to 2500 per year. Not sure if that's changed now or not.. dropped them in '98.
    Hagerty is who i'm with now on my '61 and Nomad. unlimited mileage. Had to use them last year on a little bang up on the nomad, rep came to the house and had a check in just days to get it fixed.. Unless you can find someone better i would give them a try..

15. Satinblack

Satinblack

I use Condon & Skelly

16. mikemo

mikemo

I talked to Grundy about insurance on my Shoebox since it is nearly complete. I discribed the car to the agent; shaved, smoothed, frenched, and a custom paint but stock drivetrain he said $128./yr for agreed value of $15K. I sent them the signed bs, check, and required pics. After about 10 days I decided to call and check the status of my coverage and was told, "because my Ford has flames it looks like a hotrod and needs to be reclassified as modified and will cost $241.50/yr." I can't recommend Grundy.

17. boldventure

boldventure

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used State Farm for 40 years for my hotrods, never had a claim so don't know. I have my shop insured with Grundy so last week I just insured my 5 personal hotrods with them. I had to establish a form of investment in dollars, fax them copies of the titles, pictures and fill out their forms. It was simple and they were great to work with.

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Agreed & stated are NOT the same policy.

Stated is what you are describing. They will find similar cars to devalue your ride if totalled.

Agreed is just that. An amount agreed on by both parties. Total the car 5 years from now- that's what you are paid- the agreed amount.

20. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I have Grundy too (on Denise's advice) on both of mine agreed values of 25K and 35K for less than 500 a year. I have State Farm on my home and daily drivers but they couldnt come close to Grundy on my hot rods

21. HitIt

HitIt

I just got Hagerty and reccomend at least getting a quote. To get my policy compete it was about twenty minutes and all you have to do is send some pics and declare a value.
    One thing with Hagerty is that you have to have another insured vehicle that is your daily driver. Also it has to be parked indoors or in a secure yard. Other than that no restrictions.
    My declared value is 40k and it's $275 per year.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  22. Grundy's here too .. so far so good .. I found the best for the money. I hope I don't have to find out how their service is ..

23. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Grundy service is great. I had a major claim a few years ago & it couldn't have gone better.

24. Three insured via Hagerty, one small hick up when insuring my Nomad, talked to a supervisor and all was good after that. I just a renew in the mail and good to go.

25. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Grundy covers you 'to and from an event'. It does NOT specify what an event is though- whats Ive been told in the past ios if you are using the car to get grocersies .not covered, but ice cream on your kids bday- covered.

Feel free to call our agent Jeff Demarey
    [​IMG]
    Home, Aviation, Collector Car
    Personal Umbrella, Auto, Yacht
    413-566-0091
    413-375-0151 fax

he is the best at what he does and covered a ton of states. Tell him Lenny sent ya!

26. I have J.C. Taylor on four cars and a motorcycle, good price for full coverage agreed value and I have made one claim about 13 years ago for a tire that blew out a fender on the highway. Paid off quick with no problems or raise in rates. I'll stick with them.

27. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Do a search, there is a rep from Grundy called Becky I think and they WILL NOT cover you if you drive to work, period, she has stated so over and over.
    Be honest about your use and get quotes, lower quotes for ins that will not cover you will not work.

I drive my car to work once or twice a month and was told several times by Grundy that it would not be covered...

28. I've had great luck with Hagerty. We want the flexibility to drive any of the covered cars to events across the country, and be able to have my 19-year-old drive part of the way. Hagerty allows it, Grundy does not. Grundy was cheaper, but did not allow what we want to do. Hello, Hagerty! Too easy.

29. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Denise, What do you say about Grundy not covering your car if you drive it to work since you say you are covered 100% of the time (except on the track)?

I am curious about this too. I drive mine to work on maybe 3-4 nice days per summer, not every day.

Curious what other collector insurance is saying about this, or what the reasoning is.

Big difference between our small fenced in secure parking area and some other employee parking situations I am sure, and a big difference between driving to a cruise in on the weekend and driving to work in the 7 am crazy traffic. Wonder what their thoughts are (the insurance people...)

30. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I may be wrong on this, but I have had Haggerty in the past and I dont recall them covering my car if driving it to and from work either.