Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rodders Journal #47

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HJmaniac, Mar 13, 2010.

1. hemifarris

hemifarris

I'm curious, You stated that Hop Up is apparently done. Where did you get that information? I'm not questioning you, I am a fan Hop Up.
    Mike

2. Number 10 was the final issue......I thought #47 was pretty good.....

3. [​IMG]

I'm still waiting for mine ... I've been a subscriber since issue #1 ... and I usually receive my issue before they hit the newsstands ... If it doesn't show up by Saturday, I guess I'll be making a phone call! :mad:

4. Me too in MD....:mad:

5. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Showed up here on the ridge in yesterday's mail. Just time for a quick scan so far but do think I will be missing the background info/history this time though.

Ed

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Running the picture across the fold isn't anything new for TRJ and I have never been a big fan of it. About half the time the fold doesn't break across the center of the car. In this edition it does and gets old after about the first 10 pictures. In the regular editions there usually other pictures of the same car to get additional views of the car. Personal preference but I don't care for creases in the center of the car.

I like big pictures, even more as my eyes get older. But the fold does detract from the quality of the picture.

They do give the reference for me to look up the cars in the previous editions and I can do that but then just give me a list of the "TRJ Favorites" and save the publishing cost.

Neal

added thought

For an example I opened up the magazine and turned to page 102-103. A spread showing three cars. What I see is an early 50's Chevy and a Riviera. Both nice customs. Also in the picture is an Impala that is a great car but for me could have been left out of the picture because of the placement of the binding. Customs are about of the flow of the car and with the crease, there is no flow.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

If that's the case, then the Rodders Journal could disrespect any of my cars and I would be perfectly happy with it!

I can't believe you really think that 2 glossy pages, without any ads on them, solely devoted to a picture of one car... shows "disrespect". Weird how I look at that as a very deep form of flattery.

8. Larry,
    Thanks for the info I reniewed mine awhile back and haven't seen the new issue. I was afraid they went under. :eek:

9. 5window

5window

OOh,I hope not. I really enjoy it. One does wonder if this issue was really thought of as a "good idea retrospective" or if it was more "save some money by re-using photos in our files". Time will tell I guess. Meantime, I will enjoy
    having the TIME to sit down and read it-it has been a tough day.

10. ...any other Illinoisans still waiting for their issue?...I haven't received mine yet.

11. froghawk

froghawk

As a graphic designer, I spend a fair amount of my time laying out magazine features. If I couldn't run a photo or illustration, particularly of a horizontal subject like a car, across the fold, I know I'd have people whining about the photo being too small. If I made it larger by rotating it 90 degrees so it could be nice and big on a single page, I know I'd have people whining about having to turn the book to look at the photo.

So, running the pic across the fold seems like an OK compromise, since, for example, in this whole thread there've only been maybe two people whining about pics across the fold. I just try to keep the fold in the area of the photo where it's going to hopefully be least objectionable. But I know at least one person will still whine about it.

I love TRJ, and am anxiously awaiting issue #47. Since I've not been reading it since #1, I don't think I'll mind seeing photos from older issues I don't have. And if they have to run 'em across the fold, so be it!

12. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Just got mine!15TH ANNIVERSARY ISSUE its great.I think I wil buy an extra issue because this one will get a lot of use.

13. inlinr6

inlinr6

rusty 1 ,just got mine yesterday in Iowa.

14. Still impatiently waiting here in Wisconsin!:mad:

15. b-bob

b-bob

Got mine a week ago from local parts store. The cars are great,but i like to read the in-depth stories about the featured cars. That's what makes the book different from the other magazines. Hope 48 has more to read and not just pictures.

16. 5window

5window

Ok, so I have had a brief chance to peruse,not read it.

I think the editorial gives a good explanation of what they had in mind for this issue and I'll accept a well earned retrospective.

I'd rather have two page photographs of cars with a fold in the middle than photos squeezed down onto one page.

I,too, enjoy the write up about the car as much as the pictures and could have used a bit more tech detail-since I haven't subscribed since #1, I didn't mind at all seeing all the cars "repeated", but I also didn't have access to the original descriptions.

No problems with the binding,yet.

From a car selection, for me personally there are a bit too many customs and not enough hotrods and the rods shown were often too famous cars shown everywhere forever. Where are all the Model A Fords?

Lord, I love those S-W-C gassers!

Looking forward to #48.

17. No need for a phone call from me ... my copy (finally) arrived yesterday! :)

After reading all the negative posts (from HAMBers I really respect), I was a bit apprehensive about opening this issue. To my surprise, I found myself disagreeing with them ... and agreeing with this guy:

I have a 2 year subscription (8 issues for $88) so TRJ #47 cost me $11 ... Last week, I went to a (mediocre) movie with my son (my ticket was $10.50) ... neither of us thought much of the movie ... but we both really enjoyed "reading" TRJ #47 together.

When I turned to page 6, he said: "Hey Dad, isn't that your HAMB buddy?" (referring to the article about Butcher Boy's "49in9" fund-raising road trip in his hiboy). We then scanned through the rest of the issue looking for other ties to the H.A.M.B. ... it was amazing how many HAMBers either own(ed), built, or painted the cars pictured in this issue:

* Butcher Boy ("49in9" Deuce Roadster)
    * KIRK! (MCD)
    * ash (Dan Webb's daughter - Golden Submarine)
    * hollenbeck32 (Darryl painted several of the featured cars)
    * Von Franco (Lightnin' Bug & Anderegg roadster clones)
    * El Jefe (current owner of Franco's Anderegg clone)
    * slopoke21m (building a clone of his uncle Ray Anderegg's roadster)
    * copshopcoupe/ChuckR (Tom Prufer '34 Coupe)
    * Karpo (Mondello & Matsubara AA/FA Fiat Topolino)
    * missokane (Neil O'Kane's daughter - Lambrose/Iacono 99 Jr. roadster)
    * cole (Hammett's '36 / Gong's Nomad)
    * pgan (Ike Iacono dragster)
    * NOTCH ('35 truck)
    * damifino (built Bowyer's '34 Chevy RR)
    * Sellers Equipped ('50 Shoebox)
    * Ryan (Jalopy Journal full page ad)

I'm sure there are more HAMBers represented in issue #47 ... are Jeff Scott, Lee Pratt, Pat Lash HAMBers?

EDIT: Almost forgot ... I also recieved an e-mail from TRJ yesterday ... and it included this blurb:

TRJ #47 is now on it's way to subscribers and we are hard at work on the next issue. Here is a preview of a couple of the car features that will appear in TRJ #48.

TRJ #48 - Burke tank.jpg Bill Burke got the idea of using a belly tank as a race car while serving in the South Pacific during WWII. Florida resident Geoff Hacker has replicated Burke's original belly tank and brought it to Bonneville where it was photographed by Peter Vincent.

TRJ #48 - Longley Deuce.jpg Mike Longley's Deuce roadster has been a hot rod since the late '40s and still has much of its authentic hot rod patina in its present flathead-powered and full-fendered iteration.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  18. customcory

customcory

Like every Rodders Journal, you got to take it in slowly, form no opinions, then let it kick in. It might take a few hours , but pretty soon, you're feeling good. I wouldn't kick Rodders Journal out of my bed yet.:D

19. Look in issue 10 or do a search on here. Issue 10 was the last issue, lots of talk about it here right after issue it came out. Super depressing :(

20. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

anyone seen this issue at the bookstores yet?

21. 270283

Wow. And I thought I was a big fan.

22. ...thanks, just finally got mine today!

23. Tank

Tank

Got mine on Wednesday. Its not as bad as I was expecting by what I read on here. I still enjoyed flipping through it. I will say it was not up to the usual bar they set since it did recap a lot of cars. But all in all I didnt hate it. Chris is right, Hop Up is no more.:( That one will be missed.

24. hemifarris

hemifarris

Chris,I agree regarding depression. I have all 10 issues plus the special editions. I contacted Mark yesterday and he said he's taking care of his other business right now and if things work out it could come back. I sure hope it does.........What a great magazine it was. No fluff and plenty of hot rods. The only difference was you'd get it within 1 week after Mark said online that they were mailed.......:) He must have used a different United States Postal Service than The Rodder's Journal uses!

25. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Still not on the newsstand here. Guess I need to re-up my subscription.

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checked my closest Borders an hour ago. No sign of it.

27. CHOP36

CHOP36

I got mine on Friday,Was at Barnes and Noble today was not there ,saleslady i asked said it was expected next week.

28. 270283

Just received mine a few hours ago and have to say I'm liking what I've seen so far. I have all the issues but don't mind the review. They include a lot of cars with interesting anecdotes about each. They also show you what issue each appeared in so you can look back for more info if you care to. If you were only going to get one issue, this would be the one. Historic cars from front to back. I give it a thumbs up, as opposed to some other digits that have been raised.

29. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Issue 47 has to be the best damn issue ever.

30. Re: delivery times...... as long as the issues are relatively 3 months apart, what does it matter when the arrive? I got mine today but if it didn't arrive for another month it really wouldn't have mattered. I'm going to read it in 2 days regardless.

Re: the 15 year retrospective...... NO THANKS!!!! TRJ is, by far, the best out there. I want more of what makes it so great. Not a rerun of what I've already seen. Sure, it's packed full of great cars but give me 5 new features anyday.

TRJ, please consider another way to celebrate 20 years.

JH