Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs too low? 51-52 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by impossie, Mar 22, 2010.

1. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

im trying to see what looks good for 4-door 1951 - 1952 plymouth cranbrooks... i read on here that the rear doesnt need to be c-notched. also, the front doesnt need much work lowering either.

just wanted to see what people thought and maybe see some other pictures of 51-52 plymouths lowered.

Attached Files:

2. BEAR

BEAR

i say go lower lol looks good this low
    [​IMG]

3. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

"zues'" 1951 plymouth, airbags with no c-notch

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

[​IMG]

Low & Slow is what you want!

5. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

how many coils do you think i should/can cut to get that look? whats the max coils can i cut before i need to do anything else?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The best way to do this is in stages. Take one coil off, then put it back together. Let it down and check. If it isn't low enough, repeat. Just don't go so low that you run out of suspension! Low is cool, but it sucks if it rides poorly.

7. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

I honestly dont think you will get it that low by cutting coils. Maybe if you take the entire coil out.. Just kidding dont do that. I have only seen cars this low on bags.

8. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

hah. true. steps are good. i think i read that 2 coils are the most i should go, even if i want lower. but ill try 1 then 1 1/2 then 2 if needed. the back i think 3 inch blocks are a must. i lucked out that the frame is some what "c-notched" stock. ill put up picks once im done with the whole process from spring cut, shock relocate, wide white, etc...

p.s will the G78-15 COKER CLASSIC 2 3/4" Whitewall Tire fit under those wheel wells lowered????

9. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

I think you need to go with bags if you want to get it that low.

10. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

does anyone have any lowered 51-52 plymouths pictures they like to share? maybe some info on some setups?

thanks

11. 6berry

6berry

is "too low" a legitimate sentence? i think u might need to check and make sure cuz that doesn't make sense to me

iadubber likes this.
  12. One coil cut & blocks gets 'em lookin' nice. Done this way with lakes pipes, they look good. Lakes pipes look VERY good on these cars. Bags are the go for that 'on the ground' lifestyle.
    These are fine old cars so a fine way is reset springs and nice shocks so you can have fun driving it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  13. impossie

impossie
    from kentucky

14. Thanks- i wiped it 'coz it hi-jacked the thread.
    Mate of mine had one of these cars, lowered mildly in black w/ lakes pipes, mostly stock, and he dug it as a cruiser. And this is a guy whose owned 200 + Fords!

15. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

my old 50 ply i cut 2 1/2 coils BUT!!! i would cut a half at a time to be sure due to motor size and coil strength it could be way different :eek:(i would never recomend this):eek:i needed it low cheep and quick, so... the night before a show i flipped the rear springs:eek: ha ha what a dumb desion :D but it looked cool:D

Attached Files:

16. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

Bag it... Then you can adjust it all you want... Plus that way you can get in and out of the driveway..

17. LOWLYDE

LOWLYDE

Thats a true statement!!

18. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I love those cars. My first car was a 51 Cranbrook sedan. I would bag it. Especialy if you don't have to notch it. I just did my 46 ply coupe and it hits the ground without a notch. Check with Kustombuuiler here on the HAMB, he offers a great deal on air ride.

19. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

I put 3 inch blocks in the back of my 51 plymouth but had trouble with the driveshaft hitting the floor when you had anybody in the back seat. But the leafs might have been shot too. Just speaking from my personal experience. Ended up going down to 2 inch blocks and not putting too much weight in the back.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Too low" is a very legitimate phrase. Driving a car that's so low that any part of the car is below the scrub-line, is dangerous. Have a tire blowout at speed, and having your bumper or any part of your chassis make contact with the pavement, and you can hurt yourself and/or someone else. Of course, if you "bag it", and lift it to travel, you're safe.

21. Wicked50

Wicked50

Put it on the floor

22. davis574ord

davis574ord

Just lower the rear and see hoy you like that first!

23. v8val

v8val

one coil equals 2 inches in these cars, so 1 and a half in front and 3 inch blocks in back is sweet. Any lower you'll need bags. can get 2 inch dropped uprights for the front too.

24. flathead51

flathead51
    from Tacoma

25. rivguy

rivguy

Wow! never seen a cooler Plymouth.

26. kustombypook

kustombypook

So what happens when a bag blows out or fails, then the scrub-line issue is a real problem?

27. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

i would say first you poop in your pants, then the scrub line thing comes into play.

put together the right way though, bags rarely fail.

im sure they do and have, but its not all that common. the scrub line should be taken into consideration though.

28. slicknapier

slicknapier
    from Tucson, AZ

The driveline will definitely be an issue. I had dropped springs built for mine then added 3" blocks and the driveline would hit the floor. I have one coil cut in the front and if if you hit a dip going fast enough the front coil compresses to much and bottoms out. Also, I have G78-15's and they will hit the body once you get low enough. Here are some pics of my 51 Business coupe. The first ones are with the leafs and blocks. I am in the process of bagging and 4 linking it!

Attached Files:

29. domepiece

domepiece

Up front you can also move the lower spring perch from the top of the lower a-arm to the bottom of it. should get you about 1.5 to 2 inches lower.

30. Ace50coupe

Ace50coupe
    from Indiana

well its all about bags bitches and body drops. First chopping the springs to get it that low you would not want to consider. Even taking a half coil out will give you aloy of negative camber. The back you could do drop block and de arch the springsbut even then your handling would turn to shit. The front could be done with spindles but that can be pricey. best way would be new front clip and four link the rear for some bags. Although if you want to leave it a static drop drop blocks in the back spindles up front and channel the car will get you there maybe not laying the rockers but atleast closer to the ground. Also to do this you would have to c notch the rear and raise the drive shaft tunnel. Even z ing the front or rear of the frame is possible