Register now to get rid of these ads!

Black out a Whitewall?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gwhite, Apr 2, 2010.

1. I'm in the process of getting all my stuff together for an early 1950's NASCAR build and came across some period photos of a car I'm wanting to borrow heavily from. The car in the photo uses blackwall Goodyear Super Cushions, which are distinguishable by the unique pie-crust.

My problem is that Goodyear does not manufacture the Super Cushion in a blackwall. After a few phone calls, I learned that the inside of the repro Super Cushions are blackwall...

So, if I mounted these tires blackwall out is there anything I can put on the whitewall side to camoflauge them?

All help is greatly appreciated!

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

shoe polish, I used white to make cheap whitewalls.

3. HitIt

HitIt

maybe some black vinyl dye? That stuff soaks in pretty good.

4. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

5. brewsir

brewsir

Krylon fusion sticks to rubber well..just clean the sidewalls good first to get the oils off.

6. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I used a satin black vinyl dye. SEM brand, soaked in nice.

7. Deuces

Deuces

Does it really bother you that much if the whitewalls are mounted inboard??...... I'd just leave it alone and not worry about it. Problem solved!! :)

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember the auto parts stores use to sell "tire paint"(I can't remember the exact name) which you would used to make old tires look like "new".

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

John Deere Blitz Black. I have used it a lot for that very purpose, it sticks well to rubber. Always ran blackwalls on my late model stuff and turned the wite walls or letters to the inside and painted them with Blitz Black.

10. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

And that's what many guys did in the old days so if the black-out technique doesn't work you're still okay.

11. I used to turn them around myself, I never have been a big whitwall man.

But I have used KIWI black shoe polish if I was in a hurry or the tire shop wouldn't ley me use the machine.

I'm thinking that might not fly on a NASCAR clone but you gotta do what desparation requires.

12. you guys are makin a big deal out of this;...just spray em with a cheap can of flat black from the $1.00 store, it works great and holds up well. I've been doin em like this for years.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And anyone who might give you a hard time about it is just too damned nosy anyhow. Unless you are trying for a 100 point show point deal it isn't a big deal when normal people standing flat footed can't see it anyhow.

14. Deuces

Deuces

<<<< Normal and flat footed. :)

15. I'm doing this right now with some white letter tires. I'm gonna turn them in and paint the letters black with vinyl dye you can buy at Autozone in a spray can. If it won't hold I'll use the tire black paint. With the letters in and painted up no one will know the difference.

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. That is if you don't want to turn the whitewalls in.
    Doing that reinforces your desire to have black, and those that recognize your effort will appreciate your resourcefulness. Shit, did I say that? Ha :D

17. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54