Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a "Rat Rod" :( into a Hot Rod :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Rain_man

Rain_man

i wish i could build one like that great job man
    it just shows that there is other options out there it dosent have to be glass or steel

2. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I think what Tman is getting at, is you built a woodie out of pine and plywood. Not even cabinet grade veneer maple or mahagony plywood (which would be totally fine) but construction grade plywood.

I was really excited at the start of this thread, and I really dig your chassis... (although your backhalf frankly scares the shit out of me... why didn't you box the 2 different areas together and add some gussets?)

I really liked your CAD drawing and like I said, I was digging where you were headed. The stance, the hood, the grille, the number, the wheels and tires... rad. But the plywood, roofing nails and knotty pine structure really kills it for me and others who have commented. I see lots of potential in your concept though. Sorry.

As a hobbyist carpenter, and former woodie owner, that's my take on Tman's much more to the point analysis. :D

Was the original car at Rock N Race 2 years ago with only 1 side completed?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  3. Very eloquent Chad. You nailed it, pardon the pun.:)

4. jchav62

jchav62

Excellent craftsmanship. I like what you've done.

5. TexasDart

TexasDart

I think the back should lift up like a tear drop trailer. Then put in a chuck wagon type of party box and it would be a great tail gater party wagon. I think the peak of the back part of the roof need to be more rounded.

I think it's looking much better and good job.

6. catbox

catbox

looks good keep it going

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Thats fine, I apreciate your opinion, I take "constructive" criticizm well thank you :) The plywood is oak veneer on the outside panel pine on the inside. its not held together with nails they are wood screws holding it together and they are capped with buttons, the edges are routed and like I said previously I am no where near done. I don't know if you have looked at the price of wood lately but I can barely afford the pine as it is. Maybe down the road if I have more money I will replace the wood with something nicer. But until then I have a car that I like, and can go raise some hell in.

The back half of the frame has a lot of extra support (gussets) that was added before the wood (sry no pics)

Thanks!!!

8. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I remember when I dropped off the trim for your girl's 53 a few years ago and saw it. When we left, the boys and I thought it was a cool concept but it would do better on a bon fire.

I have looked at the price of wood lately and understand what you are saying. Do what you can with what you've got. It is hard to not try to improve it as you go but you've got a good start. Keep going at it and stay true to your vision.

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

When I was in 6th grade we sanded and varnished wood fish in shop class. I wish I was at your school! :D

To go FROM THIS....

[​IMG]

TO THIS....

[​IMG]

deserves only praise. Good job DirtyWood! :)

10. Cavemanracing

Cavemanracing

I've been following the thread and like what you're doing. Not exactly what I would do, but then again, it isn't mine. :)
    I am working on a similar project and intend to use plywood and screws on the first build too. Much cheaper way to get the shape how you want. You can always blow it back apart and use it as a template for nicer wood when you hit the lottery.

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

WAAAAYYYY better!

Sure, nicer wood would have been cool (but expensive), but the right stain/clear could work wonders.

12. much better.

13. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

Any more drawings? That seems like a good idea.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Saw some off and make a coupe.:D
    It is a tough crowd to post construction and mockup pics to. The devil is in the details. Just make sure it is structurally sound, and the splinters are smooth. The proportions are decent as long as the fit and finish is nice.
    The only problem I can foresee is the shifting of the structure. Woody's were made of hardwood, tongue & groove jointed, and glued for a reason. I probably would have started with a steel structure for the door openings and built off of that. Hope it holds together for you, would suck to go around a corner and have the body shove you off your wooden stool.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  15. No problem it is looking at art like this that makes me sane in this crazy country I live in. When I get back hopefully I can build something with craftsmanship such as this. I also like what you said about your dads freind appreciating it and said that is something that we would have built. That must have been a cool moment.

16. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I like the direction you are heading.

I wear shorts when it hits 60. We hope for 60* all spring.

17. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Yeah, I would really like to interview him or something before he passes and post it, he's way up there. His first rod was a 31 roadster, he made his own cam for the banger and took the fenders off, he says he has a picture of it somewhere. Durring WWII he helped design the reactor for americas first submarine. His engineering skills are still outstanding. He is definatly an inspiration. He just recently build a model t woody with a lincolin V12 with his son.

18. Lookin gooder man! Like it was said before WAY better.

-Shiny

19. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

look's good man keep up the good work

20. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have enjoyed following your build and you are having fun with your car.... Thats what makes it cool....

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

22. lorodz

lorodz

great improvement from the 1st version keep it up..

23. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

its true. the term "Rat Rod" spreads like diseased filthy rats. The hot rod world is full of here today gone tomorrow hacks who DESTROY perfectly good cars. I work at a GM dealership. One day during some down time, I was blowing some SURFACE rust off of one of my 28 briggs doors. The new guy came up to me and said "thats why i dont build that rat rod shit." I wanted to smack him in the mouth. When i asked him what he drives, he sais "86 Monte Carlo, Ive probably got 10k into it." What a chump!!! i love the build though! keep up the good work!!!!!

24. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

would you rather it be I painted my Honda flat black with red spare tires and some stick on pinstriping? I didnt think so, no im not a huge fan of your car but I would much rather see that than what you started with. And who gives a fuck what I think, its yours and if you like it then fuck it. alot of people dont like my truck. fuck them its yours and your going to drive it your goint to fix it your going to love it. No matter what the fuck they say. (PS: whitewalls dont really look right on my truck, ive seen it before. the wheels are celery green as they always will be and pinstriping on the hood never hurt anyone)

25. 117harv

117harv

It's sad that anything with a body finish other than glossy paint, or with cobwebs, a true art form found in nature is DEEMED A RAT ROD.

26. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

i perfer stick on flames to stick on pinstriping. its a whole different level of idiocy!

27. Um, you do realize Ryans Model A has flat paint as does Jive Bombers roadster and metalshapes roadster has never even seen primer? All folks that help run this site and they are not rat rods/rodders. Mr Conrad, I suggest you take that battery off your shoulder. (If you are 40 or older I suspect you will get that reference.)

Youtube clip for reference ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-IkulPFMxs&feature=related

28. 117harv

117harv

YEA, YEA your right, about the primer but i have seen numerous posts about rusty or peeling paint on bodys and comments about them being rat rods here on the HAMB. The general feeling with the vast majority of people not in the know seems to be that flat black, peeling paint, rust or any kind of primer is a rat rod.

I have seen every kind of car or truck, old or late that is primered or with a dent refered to as a rat rod...just saying.

I'm well over 40 and Robert Conrad A.K.A. Pappy was and is bad ass.

KOPPERKRONE's ride has a cobweb and is FAR from a rat rod. BTW outstanding ride, VERY nice work.

DirtyWoody28, anymore pics? Looking good.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  29. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Haha, he'll always be "Pappy" to me! :D

30. Some great clips on there!