Register now to get rid of these ads!

my frame is resting on my tie rod, do i bend tie rod arms down?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, Mar 31, 2010.

1. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

I am building a 46 Ford bobber truck and i just instaled my front end. the problem is that the frame is resting on the tie rod and the only solution i see is to either put some spacers between the heim joints/rod arms or bend the tie rod arms down to gain clearance. any suggestions?

2. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

foregot pics

Attached Files:

3. You don't have too many choices. When you have that much interferance BEFORE you put the engine in, and your spring collapses another 1 1/2" under the weight of the engine, bending the steering arms isn't going to do it. You will need to buy a set of deep drop bolt on steering arms.

4. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

you need dropped steering arms .

5. throttlein

throttlein

Yea just heat them up and bend them down...Speedway motors used to have some sort of instructions in their catalog on this. Make sure the boss for the rod end is parallel to the frame also. In other words you may have to heat each one twice..once near the kingpin and once near the end to square the end back up...Hope this helps.

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I think I would go back to the drawing board

7. Scott

Scott

Looks like you will need to drop the steering arms or get dropped steering arms

too slow!!

8. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

dropped steering arms it is thanks

9. gotmark73

gotmark73

I am building a T with the same basic ront end, everything I have read is that you have to bend the arms

10. KUZTOM

KUZTOM

Superbell , Mr Roadster all do them , I used a set of extra drop arms as to clear the wishbones which you have to do if you are running a 4inch dropped axle.

11. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Its easy to tell a guy to heat 'em up and bend them, but what hasn't been addressed is if you do this proceedure, you'll need to follow some guidelines to heating cast. Heat them, bend to the shape you need, keep them parallel, then immediately dump them into a bucket of sand, totally submerged. There are several other ways to allow the cast to cool slowly, but this is probably the cheapest way if you choose to go this route.

12. Likewise..................

13. retromotors

retromotors

Times 2 twice, so I guess that would be squared. :cool:

14. David Chandler

David Chandler

Are your spindles upside down? Even bending things probably wouldn't give enough clearance if you hit a good sized bump with the added weight of the drivetrain etc.

15. nutajunka

nutajunka

Turn them around towards the front if you can.

16. markjenks

markjenks

I agree.. Any way you can get that in front of the spring? That would clear the frame.

17. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i have a cross steering system, is it possible to run the tie rod up front and have the drag link on the other side of the spring? is there a steering bracket that would allow me to do that?

18. markjenks

markjenks

I have no idea about how to handle what you are building, but if you moved it all forward (switched left to right arms off the hubs), would it be possible to move the gearbox outwards also?

Just throwing out ideas.

19. Anderson

Anderson

Thats a stupid idea. Ackerman. Do a search.

Do not put your tie rod in front of the axle....stick with the dropped arms.

20. nutajunka

nutajunka

Might try moving your arms forward and on top and run one behind and lower with the box you mount to clear the frame. Just another ideal.

21. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

i have a 6 inch dropped axle, does it matter if the tie rod is between the hairpins? ive seen it done alot.

22. nutajunka

nutajunka

Seen them work before. Ackerman is out the door on this one.

23. Seen them done and seen them actually work are two different beasts. This guy can't figure out he needs dropped steering arms and now you want him to fuck with Ackerman?!

24. 117harv

117harv

Posting anything on the thread is a comment, it's simple, use the back button if you don't approve.

Dropped arms are your only solution.

25. Scott

Scott

Show some pictures of the steering arms on the spindles

26. markjenks

markjenks

After thinking about this, putting arm in front will possibly create a bump-steer? Behind it would be a lot less of an effect.

But your situation, I really don't know what needs to be done.

27. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Holy sh%t....

Hmmm...yeah not good.

I would come up with a solution that would not interfere with the steering regardless of the position of the frame during the complete travel of the suspension.

If you just lower the tie rod then you could still hit it with the frame when you compress the suspension on a full "bottom out" condition.

Not good...

28. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

do it....drives like a charm...tie rod out front...no big deal...ackermen smackermen

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      148.2 KB
      Views:
  29. nutajunka

nutajunka

lol...

30. greatgonzo

greatgonzo

why is it a bad idea to put the tie rod in front of the axle?