Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Rodders Journal #47

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HJmaniac, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Tuesday the 30th and no new Rodders Journal yet.
    I think the lady Postmaster reads it with her x-ray specs.She looks like a hot rod gal?

2. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Still waiting.

3. Bull

Bull

Got mine yesterday and love it!

4. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Still waiting on mine. Hope it comes today.

5. studematt

studematt

Just got mine today. Can't believe I got my first issue when I was 19. Man 15 years flew by.

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

Sorry for the confusion I have 20 of issue 47 & lots of others as were dealers, no old ones for sale sorry .

7. Just got my issue... im almost speechless of how fast I went thru that issue. :(

8. NealinCA

NealinCA

Still waiting...

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Asked at Barnes & Noble today and the lady said that their store was cutting a large number of their automotive publications because there was no public interest in that type of magazine. I went back to the department that was marked Transportation and there were almost no automotive or motorcycle books on the shelf.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, It's off to Borders tonight after work to see if they have it on the shelf yet. A lot of it may be new to me as I only have about five years worth plus a couple that I picked up on Ebay.

from haunting magazine racks and news strands for the past 50 years I can say that each place usually puts their magazines out on the same day each week. They hit locally on Fridays.

11. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Got it yesterday.
    Wow! what a disappointment. Absolutely nothig new! A re-hash of the past 15 years. I have #'s 5-46, so had they focused more on issues 1-4, I wouldn't have been so bummed!
    Then I remembered that Mr. Coonan was part of the American Rodder team of old, and they pulled that same crap at least once a year.....

12. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Saw it on the rack yesterday down at the So-Cal Speed Shop; mine came in the mail today. Maybe I'm easily entertained, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey kylon, I've been told that same thing at a B&N before by a lesbian manager Who went on to explain that if were up to her "every subject that is not politically correct, or in the greater interest of the earth itself would be deleted in HER store". I called upper management, encouraged a few others to do the same, and she no longer has the burden of stocking what we want! The transportation shelf in that store is recovering nicely...... Issue 47 - WTF! I have supported this mag since it was born ( I have all issues with both covers on most) and now I get to celebrate by paying to see all the stuff I look up and research regularly?! Gee, thanks, I think! It won't keep me from buying it in the future, but it does piss me off today! I to was part of the group that was up in arms about the disappearance of the tech pages on each car. To me that tells the whole story more so than the words and fluff about everything else.

14. 5window

5window

Well, I understand that there were problems with the print run and that,theoretically, mine will be here soon. I love RJ, don't know the folks but they seem to be friendly at shows and such, but here's my beef. I am a subscriber and thus,having paid my money up front, I think I should get my issue first, along with other loyal subscribers. Instead, and it's not just RJ. the prevailing thought seems to be to put already paid for issues last and get as many copies as possible into retail markets for new sales. As a businessman, I understand that, but, honestly, it is a poor business model and one reason subscribers stop being subscribers.

15. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

got mine yesterday and didnt think it was to bad until i realized the binding adhesive was almost non exsistant. pages are starting to come out! wtf has anyone one else had this issue?

16. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got mine today

17. Roadsir

Roadsir

Got mine today. I'm missing quite a few issues so I was OK seeing some of the stuff I missed. I would agree they need to save some of the re-run for the 25th or 50th (give us all some time to forget)

Eric

18. 101Scout

101Scout

I've only been subscribing since issue 15, but I have to agree with some of you, issue 47 sucks. I was so disappointed I emailed the magazine, which I rarely do. I would have been ok with 1/4 of the issue or less devoted to their faves, but the entire issue? Make it a special edition or a book. Also, the add count is growing, which doesn't bode well for the future quality of the mag: "this product is GREAT," like street rodder (which I won't read). Usually I do love the magazine and read the issues at least twice.

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

Definately a one shitter.

20. realkustom51

realkustom51

Earlier issues split a beautiful photo in half, covering two pages. You miss the whole damn center without breaking the spline. :eek: At least this issue puts those same photos on one page so it can be appreciated.
    A friend showed up today and had never seen TRJ. I showed him this issue and he got the full show in a condensed package. I say its the issue to hand out to the "unfamiliars" of the sport.
    I got no problem with this issue.

21. primed34

primed34

Didn't even make it that far.

22. primed34

primed34

OT here, but have you noticed the difference in the mail arrivals on this issue? Like a two week spread.

23. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

Page 81 has a nice photo of my all time favorite roadster (the best 32 on the planet) to bad they have never done a feature on it.

Honestly TRJ is in fact a wonderful thing. I just hope this is the last review issue.

24. 5window

5window

I won't comment until I have seen it. I hope the folks over at TRJ aren't posting on this thread because they're at the post office mailing my issue. Maybe tomorrow.

25. Maybe a one shitter at work but not at home,I went thru it quicker then a shit at home. Did anyone notice that a lot of the pages were a different material then normal? Some of the pages were on the usual same quality paper but ...... some of my pages were on like a semigloss suede material.Maybe it was just mine but I forsure noticed a difference.

26. Muttley

Muttley

It does seem strange that they have not posted on this thread to defend their product.

27. They did that in the editorial.

28. 5window

5window

You're just saying that because you have the magazine!

29. :D

OOps, sorry,:mad:

30. TRJ

TRJ
    Alliance Vendor

Hey guys,

I just wanted to respond to a few things real quick. I just want you guys to know that we do read your comments, and take your thoughts and concerns into consideration with every issue. As a small, independent publisher we are very proud to be celebrating our 15th anniversary, especially during a climate in which many magazines are dying off. TRJ #47 is a retrospective issue and it features the best of the best from our first 15 years. We have had the unique opportunity to feature a large portion of the history of hot rodding and customizing. We chose to celebrate our 15th anniversary by celebrating the overall history of hot rodding by including everything from the Ala Kart to the Hirohata merc, and the best from contemporary builders as well as amazing home built hot rods. We are very proud of this issue, but we understand that there will be both positive and negative feedback.

As for some of your production concerns, I have notified our printer of the problems you've described with the binding and we are working on a fix for next issue. I realize the biggest complaint I've read has to do with delivery times. All subscriber copies are mailed 2 weeks before the newsstand distributor receives their shipment. The vast majority of US subscribers receive their copy within those 2 weeks. Unfortunately we cannot track individual copies through the mail. If for any reason a copy is lost in the mail we do replace it! The same is true for damaged copies.

Lastly, we'd like to thank you for your continued support of TRJ. We deeply appreciate the support of our readers and are hard at work on the next issue, which will be mailing in June.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions, 800-750-9550 or 650-246-8920.

Chasity
    TRJ