Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Turning a "Rat Rod" :( into a Hot Rod :)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyWoody28, Feb 20, 2010.

1. 39 sledge

39 sledge
    from p.a.

i like it it has a good vibe to it.

2. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I need to get that damn white wall off of it, it makes it look awkward

3. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Hate to ask, but what did you do with the origional body, I thought it was kinda cool. If it is still laying around, I stomp the last of the rat out of it and finish it with more dignity than the last guy.:D

4. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Thats the grand finally, but I'm not gonna save it, I,m gonna burn it when the new one is done. hahaa

5. HotRod33

HotRod33

It's looking good.... do I need to send some hotdogs so you can cook them at the bonfire....?

6. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Some marshmellows... ooh, I know, you could get a pig and say that the pig is worth more than the scrap! Ha ha ha. I make myself laugh.

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

hahaha!!, I don't think burt rat smells very good.

8. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

oh, I've decided to run a full hood now (post some pics later), and I can't find a starter to work with that 283, I have tried an 84 chevy, a high torque, and a 64 buick starter and none of them will meet up right with the flywheel, even shimmed!!. I'm gonna buy a new one tomorrow, and give it a wirl.

9. It really looks good dude. I kinda' like the one whitewall.

Good luck with the starter. Get that bitch runnin'!

10. He said wood. That thing has come a long way. Working in that snow takes balls. I bitch about working in my garage when its 20 degrees, but at least it's dry and I don't have to brush a foot of snow off before I work.

11. erlomd

erlomd

man keep up the good work, its a mission!.....reminds me of my friends rat rod rescue, got himself a 40 dodge P/U and man was it in bad rat roddish shape...the frame looked more or less like what you had to start with, all the rust was painted over in a shade of bright red concealer...i can go on and on, im sure....now its about 60% done and let me tell you its the baddest truck ive ever seen.....wish I could post pics but since it aint my truck and my friend is also a hamber, i dont wanna be the first to post pics....

good luck and God speedshop to you

12. Congratulations that must have been a lot of hard work. It looks a lot better now.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Looking better than the first one ,If you find paint paint the white wall black , I do some weird things when Im building ,I painted the floor in the car Im building ,Just so I could concentrate on other things ,It had to many bondo spots and other things on it ,So I primered it so I could think ,Once it was primed it didnt draw my eye to it.Im screwing it up with bodywork though .

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im also admiring your build ,I always wanted to build a car out of plywood. Back in the day I saw an article on a guy that built a 32 roadster out of wood .Gorgious car ,Ill be following your build .

15. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Thats gonna look pretty good for something that an actual woodworker didn't build!
    Just goes to show what an imagination and a "never quit" attitude can do for ya!!! :)

One suggestion though...
    The pillars, especially the ones that the doors latch to...
    You need to run them from the floor, where they can be solidly attached, all the way to a strong rail inside the roof that runs from the windshield frame to the very end of the body. where they themselves attach to full length rear pillars.
    Good cross bracing and full length pillars all around will give you a solid body and doors that close like a vault.
    I only mention it because it appears your latch pillars will be joined in the middle, at the base of the window.
    Might be just temporary, but I don't know for sure so I figured I'd mention it...! :D:D

16. burnout2614

burnout2614

Dude you definitly ain't got that "A.D.D." I keep hearing about! sweet project! peace

17. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Subscribing to this thread, lookng forward to seeing the new woodie body take shape.

Since I am starting with just a chassis I have been toying around with the idea of starting with a cowl and building my own woodie.

Looking good, keep the updates coming and post plenty of pics.

18. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Great job ,but in the snow? My hat is off to you ,good build. Keep going!!!!!

19. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

after screwing with the starter situation (5 of them :mad:), and realizing that I had the fuel lines on the pump backwards.

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't have any video, but as you all know, starting that mofo up for the first time is the most gratifing part of a build, well aside from driving it.

20. Right on Rudy!

21. HotRod33

HotRod33

22. That is awesome congratulations you deserve it!

23. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

the wood is still not done but one step closer, should I run a full hood, half hood, or no hood? what do you guys think? If I go with a hood, should I leave the patina, or go black?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  24. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

more!!!!

Attached Files:

25. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Looking good, any metal bracing on the inside?

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Make sure the shingles face the rear. Lookin' good.

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

to answer the hood question: full, and painted.

looking pretty good there, man.

28. A painted full hood would look really good.

29. StanDaManTX

StanDaManTX
    from The South

30. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Yeah, I am with the other three. Paint it black. Plus I am starting to really liking the body, I thought that you were just gonna leave it without the staining or the braces. Good luck man and I can't wait to see it finished.