Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Revisiting this thread. Saw over 7 thousand views and over 200 replies in just 2 days.

I was asked the purpose of the thread? It's for members that have a very real passion for the HAMB friendly car in their life to share.

There may come a time when family needs would force an unwanted sale or a crazy price might be offered that no one could resist.

Many stories were shared about families maintaining the same car through generations in honor of a loved one.

Others grew up dreaming of the day they would be old enough to have that first hot rod, got it, and kept it forevermore.

And some went through many rods and customs honing their skills till they found the one they would finally call their masterpiece or grand finale.

We heard the last time from those who feel every car has it's price and something bad might happen tomorrow and you'll give up your rod.
    But this thread is for those who are truly passionate about their HAMB friendly car and will keep it if at all possible. Please include pictures of the car that makes you a HAMBER !

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 200.jpg Heres a couple shots ,After all the sweat and thinking ,I know that these cant be bought ,

ebay pics 696.jpg

ebay pics 129.jpg

ebay pics 366.jpg

3. Kids before cars. I'd sell anything if my family needed the money, and never look back.

4. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, sure know what you mean Spyder. But if the kids are fine, the car stays is what we are saying..........There may come a time when family needs would force an unwanted sale or a crazy price might be offered that no one could resist.

5. Yep. I'm with you on that.

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Like the old saying goes , " Any thing can be bought for the right price ! "
    Lets face it you might say that you will never , ever sell your car but if someone offers you enough greenbacks , you can't tell me you wouldn't take the money and run !
    In my family they come FIRST ! Bottom line ! Yea I might get pissed or something like that but you can always but another car . It's just a chunk of steel that can be replaced . If you put your car before your wife & family , shame on you ! There are just some things that come first and my family comes FIRST ! They always have been and always will till the day I die !

RetroJim

7. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Yep, know what you are saying retro, that's why I put this in the thread.

There may come a time when family needs would force an unwanted sale or a crazy price might be offered that no one could resist.

8. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have been in the position that I had to sell many thing I had when I got hurt and couldn't work again . I was 49 and had a house payment and family . I sold lots of things I was collecting to help with the bills but the family comes FIRST . That was 8 years ago and I have a car & truck now with more toys than I had before . My daughter is married and has her own home . Just take care of your family first and you will get back your cars one day again ! I did & so can you !
    Just my opinion !

RetroJim

9. Retrorod

Retrorod

I was out of work for over a year, friends (not rodders) would say..."well, when ya gonna sell your hot rod?" I haven't had to, we always managed to get by without losing anything or anyone.

Your are right...if the kids are ok, the grandkids are being taken care of, that's all that really matters.

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Glad you think that way Jim. Cool to know things came back your way after having to give some up. Was comforting a friend today that gave up a car given by a loving father. But it was one or the other and they decided to save and maintain the car the father loved most. Ain't easy sometimes. But like you said, you do right, it comes back to you.

Sure hope you can hang on to them from now on..............

11. 4406

from Oklahoma

Our 55 chevy my wifes dad bought it new. She would cut my balls off if I even thought of selling it.

12. xsquiden

xsquiden

We have a 36 chevy sedan that my dad and us boys built when we were kids it was my uncles first car that my grandpa bought for him he was in the brown water navy as an engineman coincidently i was an engineman also in the navy but on with the story he never came back. The car sat til the late 80's when our bodyman friend named Frank Bush told my dad that his brother wouldnt like to see his car sittin if he was still around. Dad about killed him some shit you dont bring up but dad thought about it and a couple weeks later dad told Frank it was time to start workin on the car we finally got her on the road my brothers and i learned alot about cars helpin dad with her. She rode around in grey primer with purple flames for awhile until Frank painted her. Frank died last year so the old 36 has lots of sentimental value to our family shes now in my name ive had many people try to buy her one guy pissed me off enough that i told him if he could outlive me and my kid was enough of a prick to sell it he could have it yea it will be the last thing i ever sell. Here are some shitty pics hopefully this summer we will have her in the garage so we can get her runnin again.
    by the way shes runnin a 472 cad homemade 3x2 homemade headers and 63 vette sidepipes
    later
    mike

Attached Files:

13. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I have two cars that I will NEVER part with, my 55' Ford wagon I've had this car since high school. The second is my 58' Impala it was my grandfathers car he had the car before I was born. He loved that car, I started the restoration on it before he passed, so he never got to see it finished (still not finished), but it will never leave my pocession until I'm in a pine box. I told my wife to never try and make me choose between the cars and her because she wont win!

14. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I understand what you are saying but when you get married , have a family to feed and have a house payment , you will think twice when you need the cash and you are out of work ! That's when you don't have a choice ! You can always replace that car but not your family !

RetroJim

15. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Off topic but..

My 1985 Yamaha RD 500. V-4 liquid cooled 2 cycle. GP replica.
    Was state of the art circa 1985. EPA never allowed it into the USA. There are some Canadian ones in the US , but probably not more then a hand full of the RD's.
    Probably the 4th most collectable Japaneese mototcycle there is.
    It's show room, you can eat off the motor.

[​IMG]

16. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

I have had a '28 Ford roadster since '59. Was HAMB friendly until after the A, B and flatties bit the dust and I got my first 265 Chevy then wore out a 283, 327 a 350 and finally a 400. Has a 350 presently for motovation. Sits in the shop most of the time collecting dust. Nobody in my family ever tells me to get rid of it directly , but I have heard the little woman mention "You should get rid of ALL that shit! I pretend I don't hear her.

17. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

As long as the fam is good, my Bel Air.

18. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

We did not sell our Hotrod in the old days as it was your only car.People that have a Daily and a hotrod are chainers who play at being a weekend gearhead.Calling it like it is since 1957

19. BEAR

BEAR

i just got this but its not going anywhere
    [​IMG]

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No offense, but you're mistaken. Not everything has a price. Some of these cars have great meaning wrapped up in them, especially the ones inherited from loved ones, and they're worth much more than any amount of $. So yes, they can tell you that even if someone offered them big money, they would respectfully decline. You may not be able to understand that, but it's true.

And as far as family coming first...that is the assumption, and Sir Woosh made that qualification in his original post. You're belaboring an obvious point.

21. KEITHMAN

KEITHMAN

YEP!!! Maybe a little OT. My Dad's '65 Ranchero. He bought new in '65. Said he paid literally a dollar a pound. We called it the "Truck". It did everything, daily driver, raced it, towed with it, hauled heavy loads with it, and even showed it now and then. It's changed and evolved over the years.

The Ranchero.jpg The Ranchero 2.jpg Racin' Ranchero 1 Resized.jpg

My Dad passed in '02. The "Truck" is mine now. I'm not married... Never have been. My Step-Father has passed on, My Dad has passed, and My Mom has passed. My Step-Mom and my sister a still very well. I look after them the best I can. As long as they're good the Ranchero STAYS!

Thanks for this thread!!! We'd like to think we can keep them all. Yes they are just machines and can be replaced. The tough part is... Replacing the heart and soul that's in them.

22. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

<-----No sale!!! You guys will probably find this humorous, but my WIFE would kill me if I sold this car. She says that if I sold it then that would mean all that time she twiddled her thumbs while I was in the garage would be for nothing and she'll be damned if that would ever happen lol! Claims she's going to bury me in it!

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what we're talkin' about, KEITHMAN! The memories are worth more than anything, huh?

24. BOOB

BOOB
    from Taylor, TX

100%. My '55 was purchased new by my Grandpa in my small hometown. Passed to my father and now me. It has soda stains on the back seat from my dad as a kid, marks on the bumper from his minibike rack and I have a ton of memories riding in it with my Grandpa to his farm. It belongs in the family and nowhere else. I would live in it, or even die in it before I would ever sell it. It means that much to me. If for some odd reason it was worth some stupid amount of money anyway I seriously doubt it would have lasted long enough for me to ever inherit it! One of my bitch ass blood sucking aunts would have pawned this thing decades ago!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're a lucky man, DirtyJohn. You've got a cool car, and an even cooler woman.

26. DirtyJohn

DirtyJohn

Thanks Rickybop! She's gold she really is. Doesn't even mind that she has to park her car outside due to all the mess I have in the garage. Hmmmm...we have an anniversary coming up lol.

27. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Very very true.

28. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Sounds like alot of people including myself have one of those "bitch ass blood sucking aunts". Whats up with that???

29. I have had this car for 35 years. I totaled it in 1980. It sat torn apart in the garage for 25 years. I took a few months off work and rebuilt it. I had an old buddy ask me what it would take to sell it? I said it's not for sale!. He bugged me and bugged me so I told him 150,000. He said wow thats a lot. I said I told you I did not want to sell it but if you give me 150,000 I will build anothe one just like it and put some $$ in the bank.

[​IMG]

30. peter johnson

peter johnson

My cars cant be bought,and i do put my kids first,MY KIDS HAVE ALREADY CLAIMED THEM FOR WHEN THEY GET OLDER!!!!!!!!!:cool: