Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *HELLONWHEELS 36 Ford 3W build* finally!!!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hellonwheels, Mar 28, 2010.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE! Really NICE! Great photos and attention to details. One question though, why the MIG welding on the tin if you have a TIG to do all the chassis work? This is a must follow build!

2. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

It's 'bout time sucka! I've been watching this come together over the last year or so...this will be a freakin' awesome car once it's done...and he's further along than this folks...

3. Right on! Keep up the good work. I like where this is going.

4. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Well, I hope to have less than $5000 in all the sheetmetal, including patch panels, and thems ain't cheap (even the ones that don't fit worth a damned!! Haha!) It's the other stuff that's gonna cost another 20 grand. Just dressing out the flatty how I want is probably gonna be about $3000, without a rebuild!!

Can't bitch though, we all know how expensive this hobby is.

You're absolutely right!! We totally should! It could be called "the dudes who refuse to pay $15,000 for a 3w body shell, club!" or "the masochists who earned it the hard way, club". We got nothin' on the '32/'33/'34 guys though.

That's actually why I wanted to bite this off. I can do what ever I want to this body and not "get in trouble" with the Fordbarn police about cutting up a "real" 3w. If I had a real one, I'd still cut it up...and not feel bad. At all.

Thanks! Lonestar Roundup 2015 maybe!

I appreciate that! Now you motivated me to get get my lazy butt out to the shop tonight. Thanks for that.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Well, the welder was Bob Bleed's when he was out in our shop and he was nice enough to let us all use it. Then he sold it and moved out, so now it's the MIG. I'd love to be able to learn to TIG sheet on this car, it would turn out much better, but I'd rather spend the $$$ on the car, not a TIG. I'll do my best to make it as straight as I can for minimal filler, might even try my hand at leading!

Stop yo' jibba jabba foo'!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  6. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

It kills me how some of you guys make this stuff look so easy.

Micheal J, you are a madman!

Hot rod gospel indeed. Preach that shit!

7. fitzee

fitzee

This is some cool shit.How did I miss this. Can`t wait till there is a update.

8. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Ha! That's awesome D.W. Never fancied myself a spiritualizer! Just a dummy who enjoyes self-inflicted pain. And beer.

No more waiting...

Next on the list was cutting out the roof beltline. I won't show the pics because I probably wont use the sedan beltline, just the 5w one, but here's a pic anyway, because it's funny.

MR. FORD and KUSTOM 7777 holding the roof piece with the sliding-bar-appliance-so-it-could-be-split-and-stay-where-it's-supposed-to-total-waste-of-an-afternoon-thingy welded to the inside:

[​IMG]

Anyway, to the important stuff. Had to figure out how the sedan would be cut to accept the coupe back. The plan was to split everything on the fenderwell bead in the center and join them that way. Here they are side by side:

[​IMG]

Did a bunch of measuring and line-drawing and discovered that the sedan fenderwell bead is TALLER than the coupe bead! That means that the radius is larger and so is the fender. Never thought to compare the coupe fenders with the sedan ones, I just assumed that the fenders were different in the rears only, but not true.

That is why the Chrisp '35 3W and the Norwegian Blacksmith '36 look how they do. They both use the larger sedan wheelwells AND altered sedan fenders. I want the stock coupe look, like Foster, and since I'm lucky enough to have a pair of coupe fenders...

...decided that I would use the entire driver side of the coupe back since its perfect and figure out the passenger later. Cut the sedan a 1/4" behind the b-pillar on the left and in the center of the wheelwell on the right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know this looks bad, but don't freak out!! Im gonna use the humpback trunk area for something cool on this car, so it won't go to waste.

The driver's side will be a cakewalk since the weld seam has the added benefit of being right next to the 90 degree bend of the b-pillar, so minimal warping. The passenger side will be more of a challenge. Since that side is boogered, I found another coupe back south of Fort Worth:

[​IMG]

The plan was to cut where the blue tape lines are and use it to replace that side on the coupe back, and join it to the sedan 1/4 in the wheelwell area. Confused? So am I.

Next I decided it was time to clean up some of the metal I had and found out about MetalRehab in Arlington, TX, right here on the good 'ol HAMB. Don't want this to sound like a commercial, but they did a really good job on my stuff. They ain't cheap, but they aim to please and I was.

Before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautimus!

9. Uptown83

Uptown83

Awesome thread. I dream of doing this in the future some day!

10. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Amazing......Nice work...

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Thanks! Lonestar Roundup 2015 maybe!

:cool: Thumbs up!!

12. slobroy

slobroy

Just subscribed. I gotta see this through!!!!

13. "You're absolutely right!! We totally should! It could be called "the dudes who refuse to pay $15,000 for a 3w body shell, club!" or "the masochists who earned it the hard way, club". We got nothin' on the '32/'33/'34 guys though.
    That's actually why I wanted to bite this off. I can do what ever I want to this body and not "get in trouble" with the Fordbarn police about cutting up a "real" 3w. If I had a real one, I'd still cut it up...and not feel bad. At all.
    Thanks! Lonestar Roundup 2015 maybe!" (quoted from post above)

So cool that you finally posted this build and I am glad that I did not buy the 5 window roof from you since now it totally helped you out. I am ready to join this club as well.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I've watched how the idea for this came to be, and there is NO DOUBT that this car will be PRISTINE! I wanna see it go by next year!!!

15. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Man this is going to be a cool coupe. can't wait to see it metal finished.

16. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HELLONWHEELS,

Fantastic build - I envy your skills and your vision. I also really appreciate the well thought out posts with all of the excellent photos. I would rank your build thread right up there with Bass' and Rolf's "A" builds and Crisp's build as well.

Keep up the great work and keep those pictures coming.

Thor

17. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Great work! Look forward to following this build

18. scotti32

scotti32

Wow, that is a seriously huge project. From what is on here so far it looks like you have the skills and motivation. I will be watching this one.

19. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Well, this puts us at about two months ago at the end of January. The next challenge was the tooltray:

[​IMG]

It's basically the rearmost part of the floor and connects the body in the tailpan area with the back of the frame by bolting through two body mount brackets:

[​IMG]

This sucker was a bitch to fix and I even tried to make it easy on myself by spending $280 on an EMS piece. What a fool I am! Didn't fit on the frame brackets, and was about a 1/4" too narrow, like I was suprised! So whatta ya do? That's right, carve em up and pull a Dr. Frankenstein. He's my hero anyway!

[​IMG]

Tried to keep as much of the original tray as I could. If it's good metal, why cut it out? There's a strip of thicker steel that reenforces the area that bolts to the bracket below:

[​IMG]

Cutting the repop:

[​IMG]

Beginning to fit, you can see where I pounded out the roundy corners in the pocket so it would fit over the bracket. Made sure to weld a piece of square tubing from the frame to the tray on each end, to keep it where it should be. The center section of the tray is also bolted down for stability:

[​IMG]

Had to pie cut the corner to make the pocket 90 degrees, you can see that it's fitting better through the holes:

[​IMG]

14 plug welds attach the reenforcement strip with the tray. Now it's bolted to the bracket:

[​IMG]

Backside almost finished:

[​IMG]

Onto the right side. I tacked the strip to the frame bracket before I cut out all the rotten crap so it would be exactly where it should be on the bracket:

[​IMG]

The repop piece, after catchin' a good beatin'!

[​IMG]

Fitted, tacked, and plug welded to the strip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't get any pics of the next part. Used the long, bottom, center section of the repop to replace the pinholed original. Except that like I said, the EMS tray was 1/4" short, so I had to add a small strip to make up for it. Also had to bend the bottom lip around to be more like stock. Wish I had a metal brake, would have bent up a new solid piece, but we make due I guess.

Can't see it, but also welded the 3/8" fine thread cage nuts back where they belong after chasing the threads. Can't forget the cage nuts!! Here it is almost finished:

[​IMG]

With the coupe back standing straight up, clamped the tray in, fits pretty good!

[​IMG]

You can see that the lip at the top of the tray is still an uneven mess, don't want to cut anything till I fit the tailpan repair piece. That's right!! ANOTHER EMS product! Somebody shoot me! Haha! Looks like the tailpan will fit, seems to be a nice piece and I'm glad someone makes it cause mine is wasted!

[​IMG]

Can't weld it in yet though, got bodywork to do on the coupe back trunk area first. Hafta try to make all the dents as smooth as possible 'cause once it's welded in, thats it! No way to swing a hammer in there.

This is about all I have for now, started filling in the 4 big spare tire mount holes last week but haven't been to the shop since then. Posting threads is time consuming!!! I'll post those pics when I get 'em smoothed this weekend.

Stay tuned!!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

21. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Thanks alot guys!!!

It's so funny that you say that cause I thought about you today! Especially with the 'faux 3-window club' going. Your car is coming along great, and fast too. You'll be driving yours before I get my roof on! Haha!

Thanks Paul, me too. Been driving that new hot rod of yours? Bet your new bride can't pull you away!!

Thanks again for the wedding invite, it was the best time!

We'll see if it's good enough for that. Probably going straight to primer!

That's a mighty high complement! The difference is, all those guys are kickass, super-genius, metal-maven professionals and I'm just a guy with some crappy hand tools who wants a hot rod to blast around in! But thats what we all want, right? Thanks again!

Thanks for posting guys, it's been fun putting this stuff up for ya, but I'm starting to see HTML in my eyelids when I lay down to sleep though. Is that bad?

22. This is looking good......nice work.....

23. your metal work is clean...and CLEAN... what all are you using for prep, discs, and the like?

24. hellonwheels

hellonwheels

Metal prep, rust removal and welding have been covered ad nauseum on here, do a search. There isn't much I can add, other than having patience and taking your time.

When it comes to grinding, I use the Sellers method, a thin cutoff wheel on a right angle grinder, perpendicular to the proud of the weld bead (across the bead). Good lighting is important so you can see how close you're getting to the parent metal on each side. You want to get the weld ground down low but DON'T TOUCH the parent metal!! You'll never get the marks out! I run my finger over it often because light can be decieving.

Then it's time for the 3" rolok sanding disk on a right angle air grinder. This takes care of what's left. I like worn 36 grit. We keep boxes of used up ones, never throw em away. Fresh ones are TOO harsh. A fresh 50 is okay too. I like to go different directions across each side of the weld, trying to remove the least amount of parent metal possible. All one direction is no good. When it looks good, I hit it with that black sponge disk or green 3M and then a wire wheel.

Hope that helps.

25. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

The man's bustin' science........:eek:

26. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

slick setup with the front crossmember and the x member.

look forward to more

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:D:cool: I concur....

28. 00-DIRT

00-DIRT

The man IS science....:eek:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll bet he's never said "That's good enough, nobody will ever see it."

30. MR. FORD