Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 Buick grill in a 57 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merctruck, Mar 29, 2010.

1. We just got done installing a Buick grill in a chevy and I had always heard they were a direct bolt in.That is far from the truth it fits the height but beyond that it takes quite a bit of modifying.Has anyone else done this mod?Ours is done now but I just wanted to see who else has done this.

2. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

any pics? I always loved that style

3. I don't have right now but after I get back from viva in a couple of weeks I will try to get some on or will try to get my buddy to post some.

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

WHAT...A COUPLE WEEKS FOR PICS? I don't think your's is finished yet, that is why you don't have pics. You are looking for pics that others have done so you can figure out how to finish yours....right? It's ok...you can admit it!!! this kind or ribbing is what ya get for being newbie and not having pics!!!!

5. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

kool I'd like to see how it came out..I tried to get my homie to do it on this one when I painted it But he didn't like(didn't mean to hijack your thread)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

At least you have pictures. :D

7. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

ha ha here's another one it had a chicken wire grill..
    [​IMG]

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hahahahahahaha...reminds me of me...had a '57 in 1960, wrecked it in 1961 and...awww, here...an excerpt from my first book "Bangin' Gears & Bustin' Heads:

A friend worked at a body shop, his boss -- the owner, was cool…I asked him to do a bit of modifying for me while the ‘57 was in…a pair of new fenders were purchased and a new hood hung…it came without holes drilled for the chrome trim. “Awwrite, instant nose job…OK, don’t drill holes or buy new chrome for the hood. Take that money and “shave” the trunk for me.” The insurance money bought new parts. “Hold on, don’t order a stock grille, don’t want it, we’re building a kustom here.” I did some calling around, found a ’57 Buick grille in Omaha, had it delivered to Fremont. Man, the way my ’57 was going back together it was going to be so cool…surely even magazines would shoot a feature. Three days later the body shop owner called me at work. “That grille won’t fit.”

“Ain’t possible, they do it in the magazines, out in California all the time.” He didn’t really care how they did it in California, “…it won’t work here!”

I was bummed, sold the grille and bought the next best thing---a “straight bar grille” (aka tube grille). The body shop owner got it to “fit” and it looked good, the busted stock park light housings (with new lenses) were placed behind the grille. And guess what? I still had money left. While it was in the shop, it got lowered, lakes plugs added, new glaspaks on the duals (still had an early Corvette factory split manifold on it), new WW’s, candy green rims and baby moons. For paint, I picked out an Emerald Green, close to what it had on it so it wouldn’t have to be jambed and after it got polished, I striped it in white (I was the local striper and name put-er on-er).

What goes around comes around, eh...???
    R-

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

There are 2 sizes of 57 Buick grilles..The Special( I believe) fits the 57 Chevy..The Roadmaster is a wider grille that needs to be cut down to fit.........

10. twochops

twochops

Here's a old photo of a MI custom

Attached Files:

11. sonim38

sonim38

i like it...alot

12. yeah scap metal. i agree with you, i bet he might have the roadmaster one.
    still is cool, iv heard of guys doing it and not having any problems with it.
    We need to see pics!
    How is viva by the way??? wish i could have made it =(

13. Sorry for no pics but just finished it today and I don't have time to put pics on because I am leaving tomorrow for viva and after that I am going to Arizona for awhile.Sorry.I knew it was a matter of time before I got hazed.

14. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

Its not hazing....YOU DONT HAVE PICS!
    Its like telling a Pyro you started a fire and then not showing him the video of you starting it! lol

15. I look forward to seeing the pictures.. The plan has always been to put one in my avatar. I have two '57 Buick grilles, I've collected over the years. I've had one of em dechromed, so I can grind and polish it myself. Then, turn it in to be plated. Much cheaper that way, since that's most of the cost in chrome, anyways.

16. This '57 has always been one of my favorites............E

Attached Files:

17. That particular '57 has influenced me.. I am not a fan of the pseudo louvers on the fender. Yet this '57 showed me what it would look like, before I would do it later on with mine. I can't remember the details on the fenderskirts, but it was interesting though.

18. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

19. BEAR

BEAR

i would love to see pics

20. So I delayed my trip so you could have a pic!!Here it is.

Attached Files:

21. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Now, that wasn't really all that tough was it!!!? Thanks for the pic...looks good.

22. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

23. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

thanks..looks real nice

24. I like that, a lot. Not that it counts, just sayin'!

25. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

Looks real good. I like the look.

26. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Beats the hell outta stock!!!

27. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

Yeah, stock 57 grills are way too busy looking. The Buick grill adds class.

28. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"So I delayed my trip so you could have a pic!!Here it is."
    Good thinking Grasshopper, of course, our opinion takes precedence over your plans.. !

Glad that you did ! That grille looks "right" which isn't easy to do on a traditional car.
    A task like this gives you that "credibility" that can only be earned.

Dale K
    Cleveland OH

29. scruff

scruff

Here's my old driver 57.

Attached Files: