Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Murray Pedal Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudandfast13, Mar 29, 2010.

1. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I got it in my head that I wanted to restore an original pedal car for my daughters first birthday a couple months back. Unfortunetly I couldn't find a salvagable one for a reasonable price until 10 days before her birthday party. I found this one on CL for $75. It sounds dumb but I nearly killed myself trying to finish it by the deadline and still work. If you include trips to the hardware store and running for parts I probably have 60 hours into this thing. I did it and just wanted to show it off I guess.

Special thanks to;
    -SAFARIKNUT (Ray Smith) for the amazing stripes and letters
    -Don at DNA Interiors for the upholstery
    -Ron at The Collision Shop Westland for use of his paint and booth. Also for staying until 2am Friday so I could finish painting it.
    -Devin from FCA Customs for short notice sandblasting
    -Tracey for donating the axle and a few other parts I needed. Also for making the one of a kind brass hubcaps
    -Dave Jarvis for some last minute machine work
    -Andy at Starlight Welding for Tig welding the bearing cups and the cracks in the badly pitted seat pan. I would have blown it apart with my mig welder.

I couldn't have pulled it off without you guys!!

My daughter loves it and tries to climb into it every time she sees it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I got one just like it except that mine is a chain/sprocket drive. You have given me incentive to work on it for my grandson!

48 Poncho

3. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Oh man, I've gotta finish mine before the little one outgrows them! But which one, the '54 Stude looking one, or the sprint car? :D

4. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Great job. Way to make deadline. Congtats.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great job on your kiddy car!

Woe is me! These years of watching little kids getting nice pedal cars or stroller cars from their Dads and Grand-dads are making me feel so bad... the attic stash of pedal cars is still in the attic and the grandkids are now 16m onths, 20 months and 3.
    So, I guess at 61 I still a chance to get them riding. How to choose what they will have though. I've got a 34 Plymouth, 41 Chrysler, 49-52 Chevy, Roy Rogers "NELLYBELLE" Jeep (Pat Buttram drove the Jeep though), and weird dual lever steer 3-wheel car that has a GTO style nose and T-bird rear and 2 girls and a boy to choose!

6. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

you mean one of these weird 2 levered 3 wheeled things?:D

Attached Files:

7. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

And sweet job by the way.. Yours looks great.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

very nice. kind of has a Studebaker look to it with the headlights and grille

10. :eek: Ten day turnaround, ........ that's amazing! Turned out great.

I'm restoring a 1950 Murray Comet like the one I had as a kid. (look left) Ain't no way I could have done it in ten days, and I started with a very solid car. Nice work!!

Hey Pasadena.... , how about some pix of that stash of cars in your attic? :D

11. midnight auto parts

midnight auto parts
    from tn

great looking ride,love the seat. any parts sources beside speedway? i have acouple of tri cycles and pedal cars i need to get done.

12. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Very nice job on a Murray dipside. I'm a pedalcar addict.. 40 and counting. I could quit if I wanted to..........Yeah, right

13. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

The only repop parts on it are the wheels and tires. I couldn't stomach the idea of buying a bunch of overpriced poorly made parts for it. Any other parts I needed I made, repaired or tracked down originals. Speedway wanted 40 each for their wheels. I bought a used china made (ick!!) dipside pedal car copy on CL for $80 and stole the wheels and tires from it. It was the same car speedway sells. If you don't mind the repop stuff they are a good parts source for an original because there are only minor differences. I painted the wheels in the same pearl as the body.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
    Seeing what other HAMBers did for their kids is what inspired this project.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  14. Mullibar

Mullibar
    from USA

First of all, the pedal car is awesome, i bet your daughter does love it.
    I have a Murray Champion straight side. My uncle bought it for me when I was 1-2 yrs old. When I had a son, it was still in good enough shape for him to play with it. Now he has a son that is two and I am wanting to restore it for him, but funding, as always an issue. You mentioned you were able to obtain parts (China) at a much cheaper price. I was curious if you could tell me how I may contact this vendor or other good quality parts cheap..

Thanks is advance,
    Barry

15. toml24

toml24

My first hot rod from 1958, a Murray Ranch Wagon.

Attached Files:

16. teddyt

teddyt
    from U.S.

Huddys Car.jpg

This is the one I made for my son.....:D

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The car looks great , Loud&Fast - good job (fast too !) .

I restored this one for my daughter's 3rd birthday . The only repo parts are the bell , the hubcaps & the original style stripe kit . It's a '63 Murray . I now have a 50's BMC wagon pedalcar to restore in my spare time , lol !

[​IMG]

18. I had the same one:cool:

Attached Files:

19. jazz1

jazz1

nice job on the pedal car,,,they can be a very time consuming project,,hope your daughter drives the wheels off...
    the blue car in the background I did 27 years ago for my own son,,the 36 Steelcraft is on my bucket list

[​IMG]

20. Gremlinguy

Gremlinguy

Looks great. You nailed it!

21. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks great --nice job---- JUST A WARNING enjoy those little kids while there young you'll be shocked at how fast they grow up -------