Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Cool models of The Tasca Challenger 1 and Zimmy 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 65COMET

65COMET

I like the color on the 63!!!! ROY.

3. Very tough and very well built looking '63 Fairlane models! Thanks for posting! Man I have a soft spot for those fins on a '63! :)

[​IMG]

4. spiertb

spiertb

Does anyone know who the members of the "Drag Council" were in 1964? Also, what cars came with fiberglass doors from DST-if any? Thanks. Sylvanus

5. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Jerry Hammes/Dick Brannan
    Paul Harvey
    Ed Martin
    Phil Bonner
    Les Ritchey
    Gaspar Ronda
    Mickey Thompson
    Bob Tasca
    Charlie Wickersham

Milo Coleman
    Jerry Alderman
    Chase Morsey Jr.

Fiberglass doors weren't released until May 1964. I doubt any cars left DST with glass doors, they were installed by the respective teams. Incidently, the fiberglass doors were patterned using 1963, not 1964 sheet metal. If you look at an original set, the door lock hole is in the 63 not 64 location.

Regards,
    Dennis

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  6. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Here are photos of the original 62 and 63 Tasca Ford Fairlane racecars from back in the A/FX days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dlshady

dlshady

What about cars like the Jerry Alderman car, Milo Coleman's, Bonner's automatic car and Paradise Ford Sales car? I know they were "dollar cars" but I guess not considered members of the Drag Council?

Thanks,
    Deron

8. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I'm not sure which light blue color this is...there were several used in 1963. [I thought we had discussed which blue it was in this thread, but I can't find it.] See the color chart at http://www.galaxie500site.com/colors/1963_exterior_colors.pdf.

9. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I my opinion, the '63 Fairlanes, especially the hardtop, are a much better looking car than the '64 Fairlanes.

10. spiertb

spiertb

Regarding the blue '63 "T-Bolt"--it seems that I saw a pic with the window sticker someplace that said it was Peacock Blue--I could be wrong. Syl

11. spiertb

spiertb

Who was/is Chase Morsey Jr.? Syl

12. dlshady

dlshady

He was the owner of Paradise Ford in Arizona. I understand he was a Ford retiree and the manager of the Ford racing program in 56 and 57.

Deron

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I think that you are right, but Peacock Blue is not on the color chart.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  14. spiertb

spiertb

T-Time; I just looked at the color chart in your post--it appears to be missing Code "B" which is Peacock Blue. I don't have a Ford color chart as such but my Dad and I ran a NAPA store and sold paint(and based on those idiotic TV ads--that would make me an expert on paint) and still have the Martin Senour paint chip book and it lists Peacock Blue as a '62 and '63 color. Syl

15. YellowLane

YellowLane

Can't remember if these had been posted already over the past years or not... Oh, memories...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

16. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Color chart.
    It is listed in the 60-64 Ford Parts Catalog.
    It may not show up everywhere, some references it as a "Spring Color only".

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  17. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

I think Alderman received a car since they also received a 1962 Lightweight, but also Paul Harvey was at that dealership till early 1963.

Bonner was on the Drag Council, it was just another car given to him.

Milo received a $1 car.

Paradise Ford - Chase Morsey Jr. received a $1 car.

Even Ed Martin fell out of favor for 1965, as he only received a 1965 427 Galaxie, not an A/FX Mustang to race. I don't think Alderman even received any $1 race cars for 1965.

The issue with 1965 was cost to build the Mustang and limited availability of the SOHC engine. The Al Swenson/Joniec car, Wickersham Ford, and Les Ritchey's 65 Mustang were delivered with High Risers. Ritchey almost didn't even get a car. Perhaps some politics were involved with getting and retaining a factory ride.

Regards,
    Dennis

18. hey guys have just joined up and have stumbled on your thread.
    I dont have a thunderbolt here in oz but have built a Funderbolt gasser.
    it is the only one in Australia a sfar as l know.
    Anyway thought you might want a look.
    Cheers

19. apound

apound

Speaking of window stickers, does anyone have a copy of a T-bolt window sticker? I've never seen one and wondered what was different from a regular Fairlane sticker.

20. YellowLane

YellowLane

Don't know if this is what your looking for, but Steve Honnel had this displayed in the back window of his car. If you zoom in on it you can see that there are no $$ amounts on it. Someone else might know why.

Attached Files:

21. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

That is a Ford Division Shipping Invoice, Form FD 3040, Copy No 10 - Numerical File.

All it has filled in is the "Date", "Sold To" with Dealership address and dealer code, "Quantity Ordered", "Description" Fairlane Drag Car Serial # then type of Transmission.

At the bottom it states "This car delivered at Dearborn Steel Tubing Company and has no warranty guarantee."

Although there are columns for it, no pricing is listed.

I never heard of a Thunderbolt leaving DST with a window sticker. A few of the dealerships typed them up and hung them on the rear quarter window. Usually ones carried on the books as a demo unit. This was some sort of Ford sales requirement since it was being financed by FMCC. The one on the 63.5 HT car was done up at the Experimental Garage in Dearborn, and was used as a sort of "brag sheet" when the car went to the 1963 Indy Summer Nationals.

Regards,
    Dennis

22. apound

apound

Dennis,
    I wonder if my car had a window sticker? I would assume it went from the Kansas City plant directly to Les Ritchey. Or would it have been delivered to a Ford dealer first? It has a DSO of 89 on the door tag (transportation services). What are your thoughts?

23. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

Being it was an assembly line built vehicle, I would of expected it to have a window sticker. It may of been delivered to a dealership perhaps Russ Davis Ford where Ronda worked, or possibly the LA Assy Plt. for pick up. I imagine it would of carried 89210J as the dealer code which is Ford Division General Office, Dearborn MI.

Did you check with Randy to see if he may recall?

Also, let me do some looking.

Regards,
    Dennis

24. apound

apound

That would be great. Let me know if you come across anything.
    I talked to Randy but it's been quite a while back. I need to call him again. I'm going to see if he would have any interest in building the engine for me. Who better than the son of Les Ritchey to build the same engine 45 years later?

25. YellowLane

YellowLane

Likely just a clarification for me... the cars would go from Ford (plant) to DST and back to Ford (plant) to be shipped to a Ford dealership along with this type of invoice?

I also thought it interesting that an Ownership Warranty Card would accompany a car with No Warranty.

26. freakindawgen

freakindawgen

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  27. Very nice to see these beautiful '64 Fairlanes actually on the track doing what they were built to do! I am in full support of the modern day Fairlane owner/drag racer! It sure would be nice to see the over restored Fairlanes hitting the track instead of rubbing them with a diaper in their climate controlled facilities! :)

Attached Files:

28. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

No. On the white cars, DST would go over to Dearborn Assy Plant, pick up the incomplete vehicle (a roller with brakes) and haul them back to a storage yard near Trowbridge Ave where their shops were at. When the vehicle was completed, the buyer or dealer had to come to DST to pick the vehicle up. To my knowledge no one attempted to drive the car away except for the vehicles retained by Ford for development that were driven back to Ford in Dearborn.

If needed, DST would sell you a tow bar and the aluminum tow tabs to flat tow the vehicle back. One of the reasons not all cars had tow tabs on them. I still have the tow bar for the Bob Ford car.

Although technically not having a warranty, in many cases the cars were still warranted. Quite a few had their automatic transmission replaced with a four speed, in addition to non powertrain related items, trim pieces, etc ... .

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  29. Dennis K.

Dennis K.
    from Detroit MI

You mean like this? Stick car, leave at 7, shift at 7, and go thru at 7,400.

BTW, for the readers only two of those cars are original T-Bolts. Since Randy DeLisio restored the Nate Cohen car I don't think he hammers on it too much anymore.

Regards,
    Dennis

Attached Files:

30. decayed40

decayed40

better late than never here are some pics of mine which i just recently sold to a guy in mass.

Attached Files: