Register now to get rid of these ads!

Age limit at the junk yard??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DavidL, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

The coolest yard I was ever in was owned by a "track-star" (junkie) right on the outskirts of town-
    He'd straight-up tell you not to fuck around in the yard "'cause that shit will fall over and KILL you, no problem",
    (He stacked his cars, but he'd fetch 'em down if you NEEDED one)

But the coolest part??

He wasn't stingy about shit
    "Well, I'll get 5 cents (for that '47 dash) if I recycle it, or, if ya wanna give me $5, that'd be cool..."

He was actually the only guy I ever knew (or heard of) to sell a COMPLETE ('58 edsel!) car out of a yard-
    And I missed the '59 wagon, dammit!

Shit, I didn't think I was old enough to have memories like that yet-

2. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

Lots of danger in junkyards.These kids nowadays do not know how to act and adults to. Ride a bicycle now a days everybody is wearing helmets,elbow and knee pads. Bet helmets are next to drive a car.Just like all the chainers walking around with a water bottle. I wonder how we ever made it this far without all this crap in the 50s,60s and 70s. Whats next bumper guards installed on any sharp corners and foam sidewalks.

3. 5window

5window

No, it's not bullshit, it's reality. Maybe your kids are respectful ,but lots of parents let their kids run wild. Beyond wasps and snakes and Hanta Virus from rat droppings and loose piles of stuff that could kill them and sharp edges and exposure to heavy metals and other carcinogens, plus all the stuff others have mentioned is the liability for the whole thing. You just aren't going to be able to watch your kid every single second, Any ANYTHING that goes awry is going to be the junkyard's fault.

I am all in favor of involving your kids and grandkids in your interests and activities and for kids tp be kids and explore their world and expand their boundaries. But a junk yard is not a safe place for children. Take them to a car show instead of your dog.

4. firingorder1

firingorder1

You forgot to throw in lawsuits by mommy and daddy when little precious gets himself into trouble and gets a little cut.

5. screwball

screwball

My son started running the lawn tractor when he could touch the pedals. Shot his pellet gun in the back fields Welds his own metal to build his low rider bikes. Drives my standard
    trucks around the farm to help me move project cars. Has cut wood with a chain saw and alot of other stuff that would scare some of todays parents. He is now 15 and I AM PROUD OF HIM. To some I am probably an abusive father.

6. Your reckless disregard for your child's safety, has undoubtedly
    enriched his life, and given him skills and confidence that will
    serve him well in the future.

Can't have people doing things like that in a modern society.
    Shame on you.

"Responsible" adults follow the mindless crowd at any cost,
    and teach their children the same. Society likes Sheep.

:eek: :rolleyes:

:D

7. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Thats one way to get 'em sent off to the crusher in a big ol' hurry. We're all aware that junk yard's have many hazards. It probably wouldn't take much to litigate many of these places right out of business. Its a sad fact, but it is what is...

8. screwball

screwball

SOON we will need to ban paper because some one is going to sue over an infected paper cut. LAWYERS AND JUDGES need to smarten up and throw some of the stupid cases out. Sorry for the rant lets get back to cars.

9. I'm not sure I would have taken my daughter to a junkyard when she was a little kid, just because I always went there with a purpose - and wouldn't have been able to work and keep an eye on her at the same time. J

Just an unsafe environment. Not worth the hassle of having to keep at least one eye on her every second.

BTW, this is coming from a guy who used to drive the same daughter to kindergarten in his '49 Plymouth (no seatbelts) in 1997. And my dad used to have me stand on a pallet with a Harley to keep it steady, while he'd pick it up with a forklift and put it on the second floor mezzanine.

So, guess I'm not exactly an OSHA nazi.

-Bill

10. ginuine555

ginuine555
    from louisiana

Years ago things were different. Today everyone wants to sue.

11. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

If I had a junk yard I would not let a six year old in. I have a nasty scare on my wrist from a south Dallas junk yard taking a part from under a car.

12. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Uh, those were rat turds? argghhhh

13. 5window

5window

I agree with your last statement, and very few of us will argue that too many frivolous lawsuits exist. But, the fact remains that dangerous conditions exist in junkyards and even defending a minor lawsuit could cost a "recycling" yard owner his business. The easier thing is just to let "responsible adults" in and even then I'll bet the coverge is high. No sense bemoaning the facts, that's just the way it is.

A really cool junkyard when I was a kid had steam locomotives, tons of WWl-ll cars and trucks plane parts, blimp gondolas and lord knows what else. All long gone and mostly due to "politics" (not politicians).

14. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

16 sounds a bit old to worry about him getting hurt. Maybe they've had a bad experience with teens busting windows and stuff like that. Too bad people don't respect stuff too much anymore and ruins things for good kids/families.

Going to junkyards when I was as young as about 8 years old was always a blast with my dad and are great memories. It's been a few years since I went to one, but I always invite my dad to go with me and we always find something cool to drag home.

Find another junkyard that will let your kid in. It'll be worth it.

15. I was 14 when i pulled my first rear end out of a doner car in the junkyard. Now the new owner won't even let an adult walk the yard with a tape measure. Fuck em. Little did he know the amount of lost business he pissed away. The day I wanted to look at Some brake pedals in a late model I also needed a couple hundred dollars in parts for Carlas daily and was ready to to pick up a rebuilder truck. Oh well, thats 15K or more he will never see from me.

16. Baja Bandido

Baja Bandido

LA and OC junkyards require those entering to be at least 15 years old. My boy is still counting the days until his June birthday when he'll turn 15.

Chris

17. its a sad fact that when someone gets hurt these days, they try to blame someone else and sue their ass.
    i come from an era when you were taught to accept responsibility for your actions.
    unfortanatly in this twisted pc world we live in, to many people cant accept blame or be responsible for their actions. as a buisness owner, i have to think for other people some times as not everyone is as "on to it" as they think they are.
    we dont sue people in my country thankfully. (yet!)

18. HeatherMarie

HeatherMarie
    from USA

I think part of it is common scene, or lack thereof.

A junk yard is not a place for young kids, unless they grew up in a family that trained them about such. Now, my kid sister (age 6) let loose would be disaster, but my kid 10-year old brother routinely helps with projects and knows what not to do.

Age limits wouldn't be needed if people used common scene...But since they don't, we all get punished.

19. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Sounds like his business is worth more to him than your happiness, can't say I blame him, too many people are sue happy.

20. my uncle owned a yard we kids all grew up working that yard, 8 years old we pulled wire cut it for the burn pile. and work your way up to part puller, it was fun pulling seats and finding the money that all cars back then seam to have. but we were familey and the yard can be a very bad place for little ones, I take Marcus with me to our local but I know the owner and watch him very close, but most yards are 18 and 2 dollars to walk around. I took him to all american in portland and mike let me take him in as I have known them 40 years and Marcus loved it. but still I do understand the need to have at least a 10 year cut off.

21. krooser

krooser

My brother took me to a yard when I was about five... I "borrowed" every shift knob I found on those old 30's cars... got caught by the owner when we paid for what my brother bought. I had to go back and replace every know I removed... my brother was never allowed back in the yard!!

22. 5window

5window

Maybe so, but a lawsuit by your "idiot twin" who busted stuff up, hurt himself and sued will cost that owner way more in legal fees, lost time and increased liability insurance than profit on selling you parts will make him. Sadly, experience has taught him that he has to dumb the opportunity down to the least possible chance of a problem. He doesn't know you're a big spender any more than he knows you won'tl sue him if your hangnail gets hung up measuring those pedals. Perhaps if you'd left the attitude at home,talked to the guy for a bit and explained all the stuff you were after the rules might have changed. On the other hand, maybe not. Maybe there's only one set of rules. In that case, you have to give the guy credit for being consistent, even if it is problematic.