Register now to get rid of these ads!

henry J gasser project racecar

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dragrcr50, Feb 14, 2010.

1. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Cool... My Favorite Car... its looking good....

2. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Not sure what you have in mind for the firewall, and sure as hell don't want you traditionalists to puke because of this photo attached...

But, I like the idea and simplicity of using a mid plate as part of the firewall.

[​IMG]

This is how my J will be built including the double framerail. I'll try to get something in CAD shortly and post up a render of it.

3. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks that gives me an idea

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat. Is that a three-speed LENCO?

Oops. Missed the detail that it was a different car..... sometimes I type before I gather all the facts.

By the way, it's still neat.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

fiberglass doors, fenders, and hood are here in my shop safe and sound, thanks again scott......

6. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Well... Lets see em! :D

7. 51 Hemi J

51 Hemi J

Making sure this comes back from the abyss!

8. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

9. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

well I finally got back on the j, Long story, today was super rainy here and i got both door shells trimmed and hung on the car, and both skins trimmed rough enough to get in the general area they go in. look great, god awful messy ...but im making headway. tomorrow ill start installing the bear claw latches in the door shells and the body piller, then a handle to put up through the doors will have to be made to open through the plexiglass. and some hinge plates made to attach to the inside of the door shells for the hinges to thread into once the two halves are glued together. .. nice to see it with something in the hole for a change...

Attached Files:

10. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

back from the dead.....any new updates?

11. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

man i traded for a chevy two to fill in for me til this thing is done and it is a pos, ive totally redone it and took me away from the j. ill be back on it this sunday full time.... ill post what i get done for sure....

12. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Back on the J today, and I got the inner left door fitted with bearclaw latch, aluminum handle and a stiffner inside the door like on a screen door to keep it in shape. I will glue the skin on next after i do the same thing on the right side,... i hope to be done with the doors by sunday night and start hanging the fenders and hood. stay tuned. man its good to be back on this car after the nova ordeal.

Attached Files:

13. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

saturday i got the passenger door operating with door handle and latche etc in it and just finished glueing the left skin in place, and it is officially a door now, need to cut out the window hole for lexan.... aint fiberglass fun....................

Attached Files:

14. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

both doors done and cut the windows out , on to the fenders and hood this week.

Attached Files:

15. straightaxlenova

straightaxlenova

Very nice work on your build! I've always thought that the Henry Js were pretty bad ass, and yours is going to turn a lot of heads. Good luck, and once again, very nice work.
    Bill

16. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks man, im lovin it. and cant wait to race it.... :cool:

17. oldsman71

oldsman71

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

got the right door trimmed and ready to block , now the fenders and hood...

Attached Files:

19. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

Looks good Sam. Believe me I know what it is like to get the fiberglass parts to work. Most people do not know how much goes in to making it all fit and work. Even the best parts require adjustments. You are on the down hill stretch now.

John

20. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks john, im so far behind , should have used the steel. but ill make it now... should have been racing by now ...hehe

21. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

Cool! Back in the early '60's I knew a guy who had a Henry J. His folks had a dual-quad '55 Caddy. His sister managed to total the Cad, so he yanked the complete drive train out and dropped into the J. He did all the body work with a cutting torch - firewall, wheel wells, etc. This thing was fugly, and wouldn't corner worth a darn. But with slicks on it, it was spooky quick in a straight line. Your J appears to be light-years ahead of that one. Good luck with this project.

22. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

first car i had was such a henry J crude and fast. this one is indeed a lot different than 40 yrs ago.thanks

23. Scottrodsllc

Scottrodsllc
    from ohio

Hey now,its not that bad to work with (fiberglass),lol,we do it everyday,

Looks good sam, glad to see your back on it, wish I was closer to ya we'd give ya a hand on it, we have the doors down to a day now to trim and assemble.and the front may be easier for you to assemble if you bolt the hood to the fenders,then set it in place to make your fender mount brackets,or you can leave it bolted together to make a bad one piece front out of it.

Scott/ScottRodscustom

24. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

thanks scott, I am going to cut the hood to fit around the injectors and then make it all one pc for mounting , fenders with dzus fastners and the hood lift off... hopefully by the end of a long weekend ill be there.. be back with ya soon on the race chassis too............sam

25. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Lookin good, man!...not even gonna ask about the chevyII (maybe)...

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

the chevy two is all like new and for sale , need a race car???

27. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

got the firewall started today 6 pcs will finish tomorrow... here ya go :cool:

Attached Files:

28. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

got the main three panels made primed and punched and flanged, weld em in tomorrow and then make the fillers from jamb to cage ill have a little removeable door on top to pull distributor out from behind the injector.

Attached Files:

29. 4406

from Oklahoma

Lookin good

30. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

memorial day , thanks all you vets of all agers...

finished the firewall today , gettin old took all weekend. here are some pics now the fenders and hood hell yea.............

Attached Files: