Register now to get rid of these ads!

are people getting dumber about old stuff, or am I just becoming obsolete?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostforawhile, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I know how much everyone likes dumb people threads, yes it's off topic. went to walmart, and the female cashier took an interest in my Mickey Mouse watch, she asked me how old it was and I told her 1970, the first thing that came out of her mouth was "does it work?" second thing was "can you still get batteries for something that old?" :rolleyes: , I told her that the little knob on the side charged the batteries when I turned it enough times:D. She believed me. Is it just me or are people getting more and more dumb about common things we all take for granted? I know kids now who can't read a non digital watch and have never seen a rotary dial phone, or a record. maby i'm just getting obsolete.

2. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

I personally believe that folks are wrong when they say "the meek shall inherit the earth"...

It appears that the STUPID got here 1st !!!

They brought Lawyers too! :eek:

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't blame the youngest generations, its the dumb ass parents that don't understand that they too need to teach their children the basic ways of life a the world.
    There is a line where schools end and the parents have to take up the lead.

Even so, schools are failing miserably in their task of education. That coupled with the above makes for progressively dumber and dumber generations.

Safari-wagon, you have hit the nail on the head!!!

Doc.

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it's not you....

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Ha...Good one...

6. There's an entire generation now who have never picked up an encyclopedia, or lived in a world without cell phones & computers. 1/2 the young people in any situation are texting or blabbing on a cell phone. Remember the days before all that when you had to plan and think ahead? If your friend didn't answer the phone, you had to call back later because there were no answering machines! The H.A.M.B. is the only good thing the internet has for me.

7. It seems to be a common thing these days, I think part of the problem is what Doc said, dumb ass parents. Kids raising kids, young people having children before growing up enough to have experienced life themselves, thus the dumb and dumber generations. Scary ain't it?

8. flyinggoose

flyinggoose

I'm glad chevy57dude recognized the ironic twist this thread was about to take, with everyone lamenting all things new while sitting in front of computer screens and conversing in real time with people all over the world ;). I do agree though that some really good things have been lost. I suppose we all take a little comfort in our cars. They are still a form of escape, just like they were when we were 15 years old. I personally never put anything on my car that can be disabled by an EMP. Even the shaved door handles have a button and cable back-up, no remote, ever!

9. Ob1

Ob1

You put back-up cable releases on your shaved doors in case of EMP?

Um, if your doors are disabled due to an EMP, I think you will have much greater problems than opening your car door.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Where I get my autoparts ,Theres a real good parts guy there ,But He never saw a set of points in his life ,He's 22 .

11. No, people aren't getting dumber. Don't believe me?..just ask a teenager anything..you'll find out in short order, that they know everything!

12. Lild

Lild

I work at a grade school and I believe that our generations have used up all the common sence because there is none in these kids.:eek: Ask a simple common question and they just stare at you like you asked them to save the world.:rolleyes:

13. flyinggoose

flyinggoose

The point is that nothing on my car is electronic (referring mainly to the ignition system), not that any of it is in case of EMP. Thanks for helping me clarify.

By the way, one of the things kids these days have lost may be the ability to understand figurative language. ;)

14. Deuces

Deuces

You don't want to get me started!! :mad: I can go on forever on what is messed up with today's youth.

15. I had a store clerk ask me how frozen OJ concentrate worked,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at least she wanted to know,,

16. I think you mean common "sense".

17. hemi

hemi

I'm in my mid-30's and I can't remember the last time I saw a wind up watch or clock. (your watch is just a little older than I am..) Your watch was probably the first wind up watch she's ever seen, or had to actually think about how it ran...Instead of being baffled, you should have told her it was old and didn't take batteries because it winds up.

I think you're becoming obsolete, to answer the question. It's not that she was dumb, just not familiar with your ancient relics. :)

18. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

How about the pre-industrial revolution generations? No electricity, no indoor plumbing, no mass produced anything, no grocery stores, and most important to us HAMBERs no cars. I don't imagine that stupid/ignorant people survived very well in such a far less forgiving enviornment. Once life started becoming easier, it became easier to become dumber.

19. My wife teaches and we talk about this all the time. People really have become extremely stupid. I recently offered a bumper for sale. Two young kids (18-20)came to buy it and refused to listen to my really simple directions where I live. They know better tho I've lived here 55 years and I know where I am.
    They have GPS. :D
    Two hours later of what should have been a 20 min trip they called and were lost. The GPS lost signal and they were clueless where they wound up for me to direct them. :eek: I'd rather remain a Luddite and carry a map.;)

20. Mid 30's here I usually only buy automatic watches (wind+motion) and I have a 8 year old that can set points.

I'm gonna say your cashier was dumb, unformed and probably in the right career path.

My kids 6 & 8 understand how things work and know about a great deal of items from the past - ask my 6 year old how a steam engine works, or my 8 year old why she is obsessed with vintage typewriters. But that's mostly because I make it a point to teach them everytime they come across a new object, and I ensure there are always new objects to come across.

I'm trying to fix my little piece of the world, as much as I can at least :)

21. chopped

chopped

What do you mean you can't hitch up a team of horses? Are you dumb or what? Times change, dosen't mean the young are dumb.

22. 73super

73super

When I received my late mother inlaw's stereo (with record player) I showed my son who thought it was the coolest thing ever. I then proceeded to play him a Frampton album.. who he now believes is the greatest musician who ever lived. You should have seen his eyes light up when I put the head phones on him, put the needle down to the album and Frampton started wailing... It's not the younger generations fault.. we just need to show them and pass on what's important. Oh and by the way he's also into classic cars, Nike cortez's and all things 50's, 60's and 70's, and wishes he was able to attend Woodstock. Ha!

tears man... tears.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

24. Thumper

Thumper

Nope...you ain't the only one that sees this. Stupid people are breeding !!

25. DMFB

DMFB

Has anyone seen the movie Idiocracy? That pretty well sums it up.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's got electrolites...

27. Here is something you might consider...when ever there is a war, who do they send? The best youth the Country has to offer up. Who gets rejected? Yup, and they get to breed, too. My kids all laughed at me for keeping a rotary dial phone up in the closet...until the electricity went out for a week and the cell phones died...then I had to show them how to use it! I've had the same watch for about 20 years. The kids don't understand why I've never replaced the battery on a self winding watch. SAFARI-WAGON DID hit it right on the head. My kids were fine..until they were old enough to start takeing the School Bus. They they all sunk to the lowest common denominator. What's that famous John Wayne line, "Life is tough, but it's a lot tougher if you're stupid"...

28. SHRUM

SHRUM

"Your in the wrong line Dumbass."

29. I'll Google it and get back to you.............................

30. 54BOMB

54BOMB

A co-worker and I always talk about that movie, its scary how true it is. Oh, and my kid is going know how good punk rock on vinyl sounds, well , as soon as she stops breaking everything she gets her 2 year old hands on :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.