Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverado85

Silverado85

Thanks JJ Gee,

Going to be in Huntington Beach late about 5PM on a Friday. May be too far to get to Burbank with traffic. Downey looks closer.

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

You should know that wednesday is the big nite then there's saturday nite that is not as big. So if you can do both see Downey & Burbank you owe it to yourself.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

The Cad guys come out on Friday so ck that out. The real nites are Weds & Sat. 5-10pm Cars come n go so there is always a new view. Jim wanted me to put this out there as well. Fish Taco Weds Special $3.99 under the canopy only so come on out and chow down :).
    BTW, Ck out the new R&K, The Broiler's in there as well, Thanx Kent! and in R&C Aprils issue a cool custom was built as a tribute to the Broiler, Thanx Rob F. Very Cool to see the Broiler in the mags!

Jim wanted me post the Broiler's Cruise Nites Do's-n-Don'ts so here they are:

Do come grab a bite under the canopy,but Don't take up more than 45 min of the spot so the hops can grab another customer. :).
    Do bring your cruiser and chat with yer pals, Don't crank the tunes,Don't burn rubber,Don't squeal a siren,Don'trev an engine with open-un muffled exhaust,Don't drink achohol, Don'tfight,Don't steal a tray or damage any property andDon't park in the aisle=double park, The fire dept can fine us and the police could cite ya..

Our neighbors have been rather patient with us,but we don't want them to get ticked and bring the whole thing down. The authorities have been pretty cool with us and have let this deal go down w/o a hitch. Bob's Toluca Lake has posted some sign at their place as well so the "lawn chair campers" who get there at 2-3pm won't drive their lunch business away.

Thanx
    Jim & CK

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got my pictures uploaded! Last sunday we had some friends in town so we headed to the broiler to show them what's up and then we came out again on Wednesday. GREAT turn out and some laughs for sure!

STILL seeing people just park in the car hop, pop every orifice on their car that will open, and then go hang out elsewhere and don't get anything. I'm going to be super sad when I finally get my car out to the Broiler and can't even order a milkshake because the car hop service is gone.

Each spot under the canopy is a table for a waiter/waitress. They make they're hard-earned money off of those spaces, and yet people still don't seem to care about anything but showing off their car and not giving someone else a chance to park, eat, and experience the canopy. Park, eat, show your car, then move so somone else can park and eat.

Okay... pictures! Sorry for the rant... Need more coffee. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More coming... Hold on.

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our fearless leader...

[​IMG]

You see... It's a Jeep T5 transmission and yes, that's a real closed drive-line you see there. No, it does not run on JD...

Always a crowd around Crazydaddyo's RPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Bad Bob is never without a story to tell... And he came out to show off the new wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took this when were were out there on Sunday...

[​IMG]

9. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

How come you ain't got big piles of snow and people wearing heavy coats ?
    I say it's all photo shopped.

10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Scoot, thanks for the killer photos. I can only imagine how rad it must be to hang out at a real car-hop burger joint. You guys and gals are lucky, some day I hope to make it down to enjoy a burger and a shake with you all.

11. I hope to see some of you fine folks weds night. I have a funeral to attend the the day time, but unless we toast my pal TOO MUCH, I'll be there.

12. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Great shots..what a wonderful place...just a real treasure for everyone to enjoy and for us guys who were at the Bob's in Pasadena, Glendale and Van Nuys in the 60's, a place to do it all again...I never thought I'd see the day.
    Kevin is a powerhouse of good deeds...

What has changed though is in the 60's these were places to eat only. The whole car scene was a by-product of the place, not a car show that happened to sell food. There were security guards. You parked, you ate and you left. Period.
    What was never allowed was backing your car in, opening the hood, and back then you ONLY got out of your car to go the the restroom. No BSing with your friends and leaving your car under the canopy...no way.
    It was in no way a relaxed place. it was "us" verses "them" all the time. No wonder it died off.

I gotta get down there, but things haven't worked out yet. But when I do, I'm parking in the parking lot and going inside so I won't take up a car hop spot. The last time I was there was October and it wasn't open yet...but I must eat inside to see the tile-work and all the details. Gorgeous.

So, like you guys, I'll be leaving a BIG tip for the employees and will hopefully be again shaking the hand of Kevin, Jim and Lindsey. All wonderful folks who have given all of us a huge gift. Oh, and the City of Downey, too and the folks at City Hall that made this happen...not what you'd expect from a City these days...so they are to be commended, too.

13. John Denich

John Denich

I went to lunch there on Sat with Roger O'dell his Wife Marie, Larry Watson and John, before going over to Junior Conway's, Larry was telling us about the first time he drove his T-Bird in the lot of Harveys! and a bunch of other stories!!!!! This place is chocked full of history!

14. Hey Denich, those Fiestas look killer on your Chev.

15. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

those are some good pictures i come out in a few my truck n some of the cars in my club

16. Adriene

Adriene

Great pix! Really enjoyed looking at those! Kevin and I have been talking about a 52nd anniversary cruise in honor of the very 1st day the Broiler opened back on April 17th, 1958. The 17th falls on a Saturday...what do you guys think?

17. i say what the canopy needs is STRICT ENFORCEMENT!!!! on clog nites

designate a park 'n' hang over in the rear of the parking lot or across from the canopy.

put up NO LOITERING signs under the canopy. get those other signs up to EYE LEVEL!!!!

i know, i know... there is thin line. you dont wanna piss off patrons who are giving you what you want ... old cars, but when they clog the canopy and waitresses are complaining that they aren't making any cabbage, and that nobody wants to work outside anymore.... you get the picture.

maybe a $10 per half hour fee to park if your are not or are done eating.... half to the house half to the car hop...

of course this is all during "peak hours" but you guys see where i'm coming from....

how about this...
    we should have some window signs for OUR cars.... you put them in the windshield when you're EATING under the canopy ... because HAMB guys respect the canopy right>>>

the sign could say, i move my car when i'm done eating, you should too...

i know, i know....

18. John Denich

John Denich

yes to all of the above!!!!

19. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If the back row parking was reserved for special interest, pre 1970 cars, It would make it easier to get guys to move out of the canopy.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I like it. There's a lot of ways that can work. Example: If you really need to be under the car port, do as the rules say 45min. to eat and go to the back. Leave the block wall clear for the regular customers, thats good for buisness and they can see the cars before or after dining.(might bring in more regulars) After all, all we need is a cool place to hang, we don't need to have our cake and eat it to.

21. freaking packed tonight.

first thing i saw as we rolled in was a bunch of lawn chairs, open hoods and double parked hearses.

lots of nice cars and it was PACKED inside.

if this is any indication, summer is gonna be NUTZ!!! (Z spelling for chili phil)

22. five1cadiman

five1cadiman
    from downey ca

Last night was great !!!!!!!!!!!!

23. 64sled

64sled

Every week seems to be getting better and better, This summers going to be insane :)

24. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Tried to post this b4, Don't know what's up with the Broilers PC???? :).
    Aninversary Cruise for Harvey's Broiler 52th B-day, Whadya Think???
    Are you game??? April 17th, also C'Deuced's b-day, (I won't say how young she is ;) if so, I know that I'll be in hot water :).

Thanx 4 coming out last week everyone, Very nice cruise nite! Next Weds Cruiser Special is going to be the "Cyclone Steak Sandwich and Fries". I know, but Jim christened it that name because I order them all of the time. They run $7.99 and are freakin tastety! This a car hop deal only so, ya can only order it from one of the hops.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

April 17th i'll be there. I'm just going to ditch the baby shower. Its ok i'm use to being in hot water all the time anyways.

26. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Last Weds was great.

When me and the guys go we always try to park along the wall so as not to take up the canopy space. Last weds we parked in the back lot which was fine for me... but that place really needs some lights.

We also always make a point to go in and have dinner. Nothing supports a place like spending your money there. Good thing is that weds night seem to fill up the restaurant so at least people are dropping some cash.

Suggestion/Idea....

How about a satellite stand in the rear lot where people can place orders and have the food brought back to that stand. I'm thinking that it would get people to want to park in the back lot and hang and eat back there without clogging to car port areas. That way if you want to come out on Weds and hang near thier car with a couple of lawn chairs... they can do it in the back lot and not have to go to far to get a burger and sodas. Does this make sense?

I love the place and me and the guys will continue to support and rspect the rules!

27. four of us from the s.f.v. went out on wed. it was a great turn out. the only bumber was that by the time we were done eating everyone was gone. any way of ordering food outside like we do at the burbank BOB's?

28. HOLY CRAP!!!!!

CAN WE ORDER FOOD OUTSIDE???? (!!!!)

are you freaking kidding me??

even the HAMB guys either aren't aware of car hop service or can't get served because of power parking late models....

problem???

i think so.

29. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Yes, you can order food outside. Yes, you have to get there by 4:00 to get a spot under the canopy. Yes, power parkers hog the hop service parking. Yes those people are robbing the restaurant and the girls that serve those spots from a decent income.

If you want to eat in your car, you can park in the back row by the wall and the girls will be happy to serve you out there. You will have to get their attention to do it though. they will not find you out there.

30. Is the problem with moving in and out of the canopy spaces one of manners or of cultural differences? It won't be that easy to explain, methinks. i think someone needs to kick a TimeOut doll around to scare those 'Chainers...(wink)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.