Register now to get rid of these ads!

slammed delivery van

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramaro, Mar 21, 2010.

1. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Damn that was perfect for this thread.

I like the van, but the broken leaf springs look is a little funky... a little too funky that is...

2. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Yup,the X-Sonic was screwed up by as minitrucker,back in '59:rolleyes:

3. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Oh,and to the original poster,by the condition of the tires,the fact that it's parked on the street and the plates are current,I would say the rear has been bagged,and maybe the front also.

4. ramaro

ramaro

I guess you either love it or hate it. Or maybe its just my generation. this is what it reminded me of

Attached Files:

5. retromotors

retromotors

No idea what the X-Sonic is. I did both a web and HAMB search, no hits except for some kinda game.

6. retromotors

retromotors

I'd say that's the correct answer.

7. KK Hickey Designs

KK Hickey Designs

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Funny,I'm only 30 and I know more car history than most "car guys"..

The X-Sonic was the first "Custom" to utilize adjustable hydraulic suspension in 1959. It was owned by Ron Aguirre from San Bernardino,,CA and was a well known car in the show circuit. He added the hydraulic setup to avoid being pulled over by cops while cruising to a show for ride height violations. The car could go from full ride height to a ground scraping stance in the flick of a switch or two. Funny thing is,air ride has been around since the late 30's,and utilized mainstream in the US since 1957,and it's still barely accepted,and can be considered traditional for late early 60's customs and up(Actually,you can track modifications of stock air ride systems back to 1958,but hydraulics were more accessible and easier to install and understand in the 60's,so you saw more "lifted" rides than you did "bagged" rides)

9. retromotors

retromotors

OK, followed the link and now I've got a grip on the X-Sonic. I think I sorta remember it. (I was busy with other stuff at the time).

But I don't really get the point of hooligan's post. Is it that this show car had hydraulics (or whatever) in 1959?

I don't really give a rat's ass about hydraulics one way or the other. Not my cup of meat but I can see where it would be a good thing for some folks.

My comment was directed at the "laying frame" bullshit. I'm not all that hung up on "tradition", but having your car sittin' on the ground damn sure ain't traditional!
    Sure, cars were lowered some ... but they didn't look broken!

10. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

That plane keeps flying over your head,doesn't it? Look in Rikster's photos,and look at how many '60s show cars are sitting on the ground. That's what laying frame is. It's as traditional as apple pie. People have been doing it since the 60's

11. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

Really? why say anything?

12. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, I guess you're right.
    And it will continue to do so.
    Peace.

13. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

The van is a Divco Dividend model stepvan. They were never as popular as the snubnose models. I've seen very few of them. They just plain ugly...

14. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I would rather have the one in 2manytoys avatar just like it sits than that other thing.........

15. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Progress is slow (but so am I) but it now runs and I need to finish the bodywork. Unfortunatly I went back to work and now dont have much time but I'm trying to change that.

Attached Files:

16. monsterflake

monsterflake

i'll sell you this one cheap...

[​IMG]

17. fifTsix

fifTsix
    from TEXAS

Hey dumb ass, WTF is that supposed to mean?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  18. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------------------
    Wow! If you mean "ugly" compared to a
    regular Divco, then a Divco 'Dividend' must
    be godawful crazy ugly!!!:eek::eek::eek:
    LOL! :D :D

Mart3406
    ===========================

19. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Snubnose... yes, they are.. uh.. unique. :D

Dividend... only the face a mother could love. :eek:

20. Can we please just let this thread die down beyond existence!?!?!? Where it belongs...

21. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

That Meadow Gold truck is going to be a real cruiser for sure. Love those front ends. What year is it?

22. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

That truck is a '59. My other 2 are '65s. Now here's a thought. If I were to lower the other ones, put spinners on them, scuff up the paint or paint them blitz black, to make them look more 'traditional' would they be more accepted here? :eek: Oh Ouch!

Oh, and the wheels on the '59 will be painted steelies with cap and rings. I need to set a new goal to finish that thing, ya know, get my butt in gear!

23. greasemonkey060

greasemonkey060

I'm pretty sure it needs a flat black makeover with red wheels and whitewalls.

24. Ob1

Ob1

Do you wander the forum looking for topics to classify as "uncool" to bolster your own self image?

25. Ob1

Ob1

You might say so, after reading that "newbie" tag I'm wearing.
    After looking at a page full of your recent posts, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

26. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Knock it off ladies.

Anyways,I've seen some pretty neat done up Divco's at shows. Would be cool to turn on in to a custom lunch truck or ice cream truck to take to car shows.

27. ramaro

ramaro

Sorry, I guess I need to take this more seriously:confused:. That Divco is cool man, are those built on a ford or chevy truck platform?

28. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

OK I'll stop the trash talk... but sometimes its is kinda fun, gives me a good laugh. Gonna make this into an ice cream truck for car, air shows and other events. I already have a large coldplate freezer for the back. If I ever get this done stop by and say Hi and I'll give y'all a free ice cream.

29. 117harv

117harv

And she is having a hard time.

30. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

The Divcos are unique that it is a special frame built by Divco (Detroit Industrial Vehicle COmpany). The frame has a deep drop in the drivers area then picks up again right behind the seat. They used Ford, Nash, Chevy, Continental, Chrysler and maybe a few other manufacturers 4 or 6 cyl. engines mated to a massive 4 speed manual trans. On my sit/stand drive model there is one pedal that is the clutch and brake combination. Pushing the pedal the clutch disengages then about half way down the brake is applied. Very cool setup.