Register now to get rid of these ads!

finally got my f100 running

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tony31a, Mar 22, 2010.

1. tony31a

tony31a

After buying this truck in 2002 then robbing most of its running gear for other projects I have slowly thrown cheap and/or free parts on it to get it running. After some problems with the $100 460/c6 I was finally able to get it running last weekend and at least drive it in and out ot the shop. Still have a lot of little things to make it road worthy but my plan is to make it my daily driver.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Is that the original door to that pickup? I bet it has some stories to tell being from Sweet Home

3. BEAR

BEAR

cool truck

4. tony31a

tony31a

Yeah its the original doors. I was never sure what the signs on the doors said because the school district spray painted over them when they sold it. We decided to sand them down last weekend after working on the motor and I thought it was pretty cool especially cause the trucks a 55 and the school district is 55. Also explains the school bus yellow

5. Congratulations, it's a good feeling. Man, that's a neat truck, I love the sign on the door! Do you have any pics under the hood? It's nice and low, what front end does it have under it?

6. tony31a

tony31a

It has a Chevelle clip and ten bolt rear,the motor isnt much to look at so I didnt take any pics.

7. davis574ord

davis574ord

pretty cool dude cant wait to get mine goin!

8. skuzzel_butt

skuzzel_butt

nice truck
    could you please take some pics under the hood,
    i have a '55 with a '72 chevelle clip and the previous owner set the motor 6" behind the firewall. i've spent all winter moving the motor out of the cab.

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Looks good!

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

11. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Tony, what's the meaning of this! Sweet Home School called this morning and said Junior isn't in class! Of course I blamed him at first... until he came in crying. Seems he waited at the bus stop for an hour, and the little yeller truck that was supposed to pickup the lad never showed. F is what he gets for the day, teacher says, and it won't be F100. :)

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It looks like a fun truck to me. It's better in a beater.

13. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

Thats way kool man. I live in Sweet Home and I bet that rig has some stories to tell!

14. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

Who did you buy the pickup from?

15. tony31a

tony31a

I will post some pics as soon as I can.
    I dont remember the guys name, I found it in the Auto trader back when people still used them. He only wanted $600 for it so I didnt ask alot of questions I wanted to buy it as quick as possible. I was thinking about contacting the Sweet Home school district though to see if they have any info or pics.

16. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

$600, did he steal it :) I'll see what I can find out about it for you.

17. tony31a

tony31a

That would be cool, thanks alot. I did get the title so I dont think it was stolen.:)

18. Erik B

Erik B

Pretty cool color and signage. Congrats on getting it running. I'm working on my 54 F100 trying to get it paint ready. I'm in NW Portland.

19. Lol, that's exactly why I asked. Well almost, the PO of my truck put the 460 in with a deep front sump Melodon oil pan. To clear the Mustang II cross member he pushed the engine forward till it cleared then worked everything else in around it. He generally made a Mongolian cluster fornication out of the whole thing. It works okay but it looks like crap. I'm going to run it as is this summer and tare it apart over the winter and fix it with a F-250 4X4 rear sump oil pan. If that don't set it back far enough I'll order one from Summet that will.

20. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I finally have the perfect way to describe what the PO did to my 64 F1....
    I'm diggin yours, the yellow, door sign, stance. Lookin' good!

21. tony31a

tony31a

I didnt have any problems with the oil pan clearance (I guess the gm cross member sits lower) the only problems I had were the oil filter/steering box and I need to put a small notch in the fire wall to clear the a/t kick down bracket. It still needs alot of cleaning up and wireing under the hood but I will take some pics anyway.

22. At least some of the BIG vans and trucks with 460's have an adaptor that turns the filter almost 90 degrees. I saw one on an F-350 dually truck just yesterday at a junk yard. That might help with the steering box clearance. Mine ain't no show truck either. In fact, I just got done with a complete re-wire myself. I used a complete harness out of a '77 or '78 F-100. $20 for the harness, $10 for tape and solder and two day's work and it was in. No way would it have been faster or easier with a kit and it looks almost factory with all the original terminals. I did unwrap and rewrap the whole thing so I could move some wires around and check for any burned or broken wires but it was cheap and easy.

23. tony31a

tony31a

So after a long break I finally have something to update. This project kind of stalled out after the 460/ c6 combo turned out to be too far gone I got frustrated and parked the truck, tried to sell it got half the money then ended up buying it back. Which brings me to where I am now, I tore it all back apart took out the 460 and swapped in a good running Chev 350 and have it running again. I've been goin pretty hard at it since I have sold my daily driver and this is on deck to take its place. Should have it going in the next couple of weeks and I'll update with some pics.

24. voodoo1

voodoo1

Cool truck man. One day I'll find another one.

25. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i like the dings, dents, color ect.....i am in the process of building my f100, hope to have it done by spring