Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

From garacer on the 4M forum:

Another one of georgia's long time dedicated racers has passed away. J C Little
    from the west ga area was Flagman at Dixie, Rome, West Atlanta Raceway,
    Senoia Raceway, and Coweta Speedway over a career that spanned 30 plus years. He worked for American Performance Parts in Atlanta delivering speed equipment around the metro area for years. A great guy, great flagman, and was fair to everyone. Please remember him and his family and friends in your prayers.

I add this:

J.C. was the flagman at Dixie, Rome and West Atlanta when I was doing their photography. My wife had a table set up at the top of the stands where she sold photos. She noticed my young son standing and moving his arms around and wondered what he was doing and finnaly figured out he wasn't watching the race he was watching J.C. and was flagging just like him. My mother made him a small set of flags and he flagged from the stands as J. C. flagged the race.

Here is a photo for now, I will try to post some more later.

Rest in peace J.C. I'm glad I got to know you.

[​IMG]

2. Falconred

Falconred

1990 All American 400, Nashville, TN

Pole: Jr. Hanley Winner: Gary St Amont (sp)
    [​IMG], [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Falconred, although I'm sorry to hear about J.C. He was one of those who really enjoyed the job as a flagman and worked at it.

4. Falconred

Falconred

Turn one-two at Lakewood Speedway the famed one mile dirt track in Atlanta, GA. This is probably the next to last race ever held there,

[​IMG], [​IMG]

5. Calhoun

Calhoun

Thanks k9racer - that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for on the #52.

Some more from the early eighties:

Buddy Schrock, after driving the Mountain Dew Cavalier
    [​IMG]

Joe Shear
    [​IMG]

An earlier version of Mike Eddy than the one posted a page or so back
    [​IMG]

Bob Sensiba
    [​IMG]

Tom Harrington and Bob Senneker
    [​IMG]

The "Zero Hero", Tom Jones
    [​IMG]

6. k9racer

k9racer

I see you posted some photos of cars with the Ray Baker logos.. He joined the HAMB posted a intro and just a few folks replied to him.. His HAMB name is Ray Baker.. I wish he could add info to this thread..Any pics of Stan Yee owner and builder. stans cars were very well built and neat.. stans car ran in the marty robins show..

7. quagmire

quagmire
    from dallas ga.

Lakewood Speedway ,one of the most dangerous tracks every made . Should have been closed the day after the frist race.

8. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

Here is John Anderson Stan Yee's most successful driver in 1975 at Sandusky Speedway.

[​IMG]

9. butch27

butch27

Where was John Anderson from? I saw him all the time at Flatrock.

10. 15ASedan

15ASedan

11. Calhoun

Calhoun

Here are three from the 1978 Marty Robbins 500.

The Yee 33 leads Don Biederman and Mike Miller. It could be either Danny Byrd or Junior Hanley driving the 33 - Hanley drove in relief for Byrd, taking over after 387 laps. For that matter, Larry Detjens drove in relief for Miller as well. So who knows who is in what car?!?
    [​IMG]

Here is the winning car on cruise control. They won by a lap over the Miller / Detjens car, and Harry Gant was third, four laps behind the flying 33. Can anyone tell by the head tilt if it's Byrd or Hanley at the wheel?
    [​IMG]

The winning crew in victory lane.
    [​IMG]

All photos by Tommy Marchman.

12. ARCA Guy

ARCA Guy

John Anderson was originally from Warren, Michigan. Went to Ohio in late 70's to drive for the Draime Brothers then onto North Carolina where is was eventually killed.

Top photo appears to be the "Byrd Man" with his white helmet. Looks like Hanley in the lower shot. Love the photos, wish there was more!

13. Warbird7

Warbird7

Slinger Nationals late 80's, Slinger is a 36 degree high banked 1/4 mile north of Milwaukee Wisconsin. It's a baby Bristol.

[​IMG]

14. hanley_72

hanley_72

I would say it is Hanley in the second shot. The head tilt and the grey helmet he always had. Byrd is in the first pic with the white helmet and more straight up head.
    Love these pics. Seen the first one before but not the other two.
    The last pic is my fav. Great one to add to my collection.
    THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Any more pics from this race or by Tommy Marchman, would really love to see more.

LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

15. mrtc4w

mrtc4w

Love the old MoPars!! Thanks for sharing!!

Marty

16. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

From the Fairgrounds Motor Speedway in Louisville. Jerry Norris on the outside, Tom Bowsher in the Ford in ARCA action.

[​IMG]

17. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

18. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

Action photo of drivers racing in the final event ever held at Heidelberg Raceway in 1973. The Pittsburgher 250. Drivers include: Tony DiLillo (41), Don Gregory (7), and Ed Howe (60)

Auto racing drivers Tom Colella (40), and Joy Fair (1), make a pit stop during the final race ever,,,,,[​IMG] held at Heidelberg Raceway in Pennsylvania.

[​IMG]

19. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Got a few photos from some friends in Ohio. Here's the start of an ARCA race at Dayton in 1969 - a bunch of factory supported cars. Benny Parsons in the Ford on the pole, Bobby Watson in a Dodge on the outside. Second row is Andy Hampton in a Dodge and Les Snow in a Plymouth. Third row is Iggy Katona in a Dodge and Ramo Stott in a Plymouth.

Oh yeah, that's probably Don Brown driving the pace car.

[​IMG]

21. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Same day - Snow, Hampton, Parsons, and Watson. Not sure why Hampton's arm is out the window, but he may have been responding to the "one more lap" signal. If this was an event with a 100-lap feature, in those days there would have been a trophy dash with the top four qualifiers inverted. These four are inverted from the feature start in the previous photo, so it makes sense.

[​IMG]

22. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Hey Allstar........if you can read this, here is an article on the 1973 Riverside Permatex race. You will recognize some of these names too. I had never heard of this particular driver ( Jack Jeffery) but he came down from the Great Northwest in his Mopar and spanked everyone by a full lap.
    [​IMG]

23. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

This is an article (partial, anyway.......way too many pages to get it all on a page) on the main event (Cup race), same weekend......first win ever for AMC in a Nascar Cup race. If memory serves me, this was also the first win for Penske in Cup, but I might be mistaken.

[​IMG]

24. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

1971 "Motor Trend 500".............Riverside Calif, January 1971

My favorite of all the races at Riverside that I attended, my being well acquainted with the Elder family.

[​IMG]

25. djhend1

djhend1
    from Texas

[​IMG]

One really has to wonder how this happened!

26. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

djhend1, I've heard of a "wad" of cars, but that's different.

27. Crudbro

Crudbro

Looks like a case of "Dogpile on the Rabbitt" to me!:)

28. BudJ63

BudJ63
    from Florida

I took this picture this weekend at the Dade City Fla. First Saturday Downtown Car Show and ironically saw the very first post in this thread. Not a historic photo, but a historic car.

29. vegas_oldtimer

vegas_oldtimer

OK, first shot at uploading some old pix. I took these at Eldora in 1965. Their weekly shows then were Sportsmen, Late Models, and what they called Super Modifieds.

Sportsmen were flathead eights and sixes in mostly pre-war body styles. They never did run what I call Eastern Modifieds - pre war cars with modern V-8's.

Late models were newer cars with V-8's

Supers were cut down bodies or srpint car bodies with cages , roofs. etc.

Somebody tell me how to post pix full size, please.

Enjoy - I literally have thousands of these I can post

Vegas_Oldtimer

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Vegas, as far as I'm concerned, you can keep on doing thumbnails a few at a time. We can click on them to enlarg. Great stuff, thanks.