Register now to get rid of these ads!

The '32 Grill and the Mona Lisa--What do they have in common??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodster, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Model A shells kick ass.

2. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Kevin,
    Sorry, that I have still confused you. One last try, then I wouold suggest that you do further research to understand this equation since this was really about a much simpler aspect of this concept as it applies to the form and proportion of the '32 grill. Here goes: Of course any one looking at the picture and the illustration below of the shell would see that a square would fit over them better than a rectangle as you correctly observed. But the ratio in this case describes the gradient rate of the sprial, which unwinds at exactly 1:1.618 This also applies exactly to the placement of seeds within the center of a sunflower, which you also won't be able to drop a rectangle over. If I have still confused you (and if your interested) I would suggest further independent research because I'm obviously not qualified and i'm wasting Ryan's data feed. Here's the formula and a few more pics.
    [​IMG]

Your right it's obvious that a square fits over this shell better than a rectangle, but again, that's not the point.

[​IMG]

See those sprils at the center of the flower? All placed by nature at the aesthetically pleasing ratio of 1:1.618

[​IMG]
    Now, Let's get back to the beautifully bitchen grill: Believe it or not it all follows the same formula. It's math, and it wasn't lost on Henry's designer.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Hey, leave my method of doing everything out of this!

4. Yeah, thanks, that helps. :D It's just that anything more than about 800 pixels wide will break the frames and leads to having to scroll from side to side to see everything. If you're not sure of the picture size, in Internet Explorer right click the picture and then click Properties and you'll see the pixel dimensions.

Course if you need to post something bigger than that you can host it offsite and put a link to it in the thread.

5. Far out Rodster- good stuff, and an astute observation. Mona & the deuce- thassit!

Man, that sunflower is beautiful..

6. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

haha I don't know if you were even serious or not when you posted this but I think it's hilarious!

7. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Comparing the 34 grille to Pelosi???? Thats it dude! Lets take it outside!

8. Tank

Tank

Art. They are both art. An unchopped deuce shell is magic when used properly. As in on nothing built after 1932, but thats another discussion.... The Deuce Grille Shell, The Mona Lisa of the Hot Rod world, I like that! I think theres something too this Golden Ratio thing....

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Ha ha funny shit right there.

10. 61TBird

61TBird

I wasn't the only one to think that....:D
    Donald Duck in Mathmagic Land

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oT_Bxgah9zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oT_Bxgah9zc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Golly gee, I thought I just had to be traditional, now I have to be in a "golden position". I hope they miss.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For Gods sake. Why can't they just be hot rods?

13. wizzard23

wizzard23

Remind me to stay away from liquids and asprin!!!!!!!!

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

How about you keep doing the research... and I'll keep building hot rods?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sick sick SICK photo! Love it, Kevin.

16. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Wow! That is kick ass! I've got one with a blown flathead topped with the set of four 48's you see above left. Can't wait to see your end result.

17. 117harv

117harv

The grille has to be lower than the cowl...so it looks right!

18. Are you talking Monalisa's Golden Ratio proportions...before or after?? :)

Before= Stock/Original

After= Souped up/Modified

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  19. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

So glad you enjoyed it--and got it. It is 1.00 part fun and .62 parts serious, but, wow, some of these keyboard warriors took it 1.62 seriously! Time to stop before someone breaks a finger.

20. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

My neighbor RIP gave me a OG 32 shell. Fuck u all, thats why im gonna use it on my roadster...

21. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  22. Ya, Pelosi does look like a 34 grill, they don't look good on anything

23. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, you've "got one" as in you have that one? I instantly recognized those carburetors and my hat is off to you for being the owner/caretaker of one of my favorite hot rods of all time. So I think you really know what I'm saying here. That roadster is great and a Deuce grille shell would look terrible on it no matter what the ratio is. (you really should read that link in my last post though - it's interesting stuff)

24. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Resemblence is definitely there!

[​IMG][​IMG]

25. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

I'll have a look! And you're right about the Desoto grill. Point given!
    After reading the link You're probably right about the damm shell too! Darn it!

26. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

This is a fascinating observation Rodster and I thank you for posting it. You are of course correct. As a stock market trader I use this series of numbers all the time (in the Fibonacci retracement of a stock price after a large run) so this thread is bringing how I get money for cars and why I love my 32 so much together. Cool.

In fact it's also given me an idea of using this formula to calculate the amount of chop I'll be giving it.

I've not tested it yet but I'm going to photochop my car until it fits perfectly into the pattern and see how it looks. I'm guessing it's going to look right on the money! Not sure where to start drawing though. I think I might start by making the 5th window look correct and see what sort of a chop that gives me. I wonder if I can get all the openings and everything on the car to fit the sequence. Both side windows, windscreen, door to window ratio overall height to door ratio. It could be applied to everything...as long as it looks right which it should do.

Coolest thread since the 5 window picture thread I reckon. [​IMG]

27. Muttley

Muttley

Will you clowns please stop quoting the Pelosi post please?!?!? I'm about ready to puke. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

And all this time, I thought that the '32 Ford grille was liked by hot rodders back in the day simply because it was based on the '32 Lincoln grille. Stupid me. :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

29. TERPU

TERPU

YEP!

As for the rest of this depth derived discussion it's all in the eye of the viewer. '32 shells while pretty cannot hold a candle to the pure beauty of the '33 for both the complexity, natural curves, and even the spacing of the bars within the curve. Sorry it's squares versus compound beauty. For me its as though your putting a cereal box next to a beautiful naked woman. But that's just my view. Like all art, it's what "you" love not what everybody else thinks.

No reason to clog up beauty with the scientific, it's not that hard really. If you dig it, you dig it! Yes there is formula and equation involved but I'll leave that to guys who want to think too much.

30. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Edsel designed the '32 Lincoln KB, and the shell of the KB is just a larger version of the '32 Ford grill. Edsel was also in charge of the design of the '32 Ford. Thus the similarity. Are you saying that he did not like the product of his own design?

Edsel did also design the '33 Ford, so he did in effect kill the '32 style grill shell. However, it would seem that was just progression of design fashion.