Register now to get rid of these ads!

GMC 270 Military engine - weak points?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retromotors, Mar 20, 2010.

1. retromotors

retromotors

Yesterday I picked up a GMC 270 inline 6. It's complete but internal condition is unknown ... haven't got to fiddle with it yet.

A HAMB search brought up some good info on older threads. I now know how to date the engine and where the casting numbers are when I manage to scrape down to them!

It is a military engine, and has a rebuild tag from the Red River Arsenal dated 1951. (see pics).
    The head casting number, 6107412, puts it in the 1939 - 52 category, so I guess it's safe to assume a late '40s production date.

A web search took me to several WWII military vehicle sites, primarily dealing with CCKW variants, (the venerable "deuce and a half"), and also the DUKW amphibious vehicles.

On more than one of these sites, owners are strongly cautioned not to exceed maximum rpms for any length of time, promising dire consequences.
    Max rpms in this case being about 2750 for earlier engines, and a little over 3000 on later ones.

So my question is ... is there something inherently weak about the military engines as opposed to the civilian versions, and if so, what?
    I would assume (ha ... there's that word!), that the rotating assembly and rods would be pretty sturdy, and that any possible weak points would involve the pistons, or possibly the valve train.

Any input would be appreciated .... thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Pose this question over on www.inliners.org .You'll get knowledgeable help.

3. retromotors

retromotors

Well yeah, that's true.
    But I live here! :D

4. krooser

krooser

Pretty cool to see the Red River tag... they are still in biz rebuilding HumVees and the like.

I have a source for several of those old jimmy's... been thinking about building a vintage jalpoy racer and a Jimmy would be pretty cool... I'm sure you'll be able to spin that motor faster than 3K... someone will tell you how,

5. Deuces

Deuces

Nothing weak about military motors!! Those things are built tough just like our armed forces!!! :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  6. retromotors

retromotors

Thanks krooser,
    From what I gather, the 270s & 302s could be made to spin up pretty tight. I'm just wondering what the limiting factor is (if any) on the military version.

BTW, lest anyone think I'm gettin' too far off topic for the HAMB, this engine is slated to go into my '50 Chevy sedan.

7. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

does that say .040 on the mains!?

8. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, I caught some of that loose flywheel action on some earlier threads. Also, if I'm remembering correctly there were 4-bolt and 6-bolt flywheels?

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a friend with a 302 GMC in a 50 Chevy Fastback, and he regularly exceeds those RPM numbers. Stock crank and rods, Flywheel is gone in lieu of a flexplate, so the bolt loosening mentioned above probably wouldn't be relevant. Not sure why the warning, unless it is carryover from what the military decided should be the maximum. It would speak to the fact that back then many government agencies did have some regard for how the taxpayers money should be spent, and repairing engines that were abused was not one of them.

10. retromotors

retromotors

Sure looks like it!
    To be honest, the pic you're looking at is the closest I've come to actually reading the tag.
    Got the engine home after dark yesterday, then sat it next to my 235 Cheby, too close to get a good look at the tag.:confused:
    Just stuck the camera down in there and fired away!

11. gas pumper

gas pumper

Yellow Coach became GMC in 1943. So your engine would be 1943 or earlier. Probably casting codes will tell you.

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,First ,,,i'm sorry i don't have any pics ,,been too long ,,,,
    back in '59-'60 ,,,my buddy Cal Specht & I put a Military 270 in a '39 Chevy 4 door ,,his daily / hi school driver ,,we used a 3 speed GMC truck flywheel/clutch n trans ,,a "Honest Charley" cam n Kit ,,Hooker hedders ,w' three one barrel carbs,,,spun it to the moon ,,
    then ,,in '60, we took a '31 Full Fenderd Modal "A" 5 window coupe & put a Sprint Car 302 Jimmy Six in it ...w' a Wayne 12 port head ,,Howard Five Duece intake w' 5 Stromberg 97's ,,Mallory Dual Point,,Heddman Hedders ,,hooked to a junkyard Cad LaSalle three speed trans w' a homemade floor shifter w' a reverse shift pattern ,,,,,it was a TRUE "Red Lite Bandit" ,,we'd Cruze Des Moines on Fri & Sat nites lookin' for the Rich Kids in their '59-'60-'61 Corvettes ,,with their pretty little blonde "Honeys" sittin' beside em ,,we kicked their butts ,,,many times Cal and I got the "Honeys" too ,,
    We spun that 302 to over 8,000 rpm ,,that 270 to over 6000 rpm ,,
    those good ole Jimmy Six Bangers will out live YOU ,,with the right stuff in em ,,GREAT MOTORS ,,

13. retromotors

retromotors

Looks like I'm in luck there. The 235 Chevy next to the GMC is from a '57 Apache truck. Appears to have the same transmission bolt pattern as the Jimmy (haven't verified that, though), so that would give me an open driveline option.

Maybe the bellhousings even interchange? I need to start pulling parts and measuring.
    I'm kinda stoked about the 270 engine ... always like to be different!:D

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

The bellhousing will interchange,but a 235 flywheel isn't even close to fitting on a GMC.

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's got a GM 700R4 behind it.

16. krooser

krooser

Yep... not unusual in older engines to see rods and mains cut .050 under...

17. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The early engine may have a 4 bolt flywheel. Mine did. I drilled the crank for the 6 bolt pattern and used a Chevy bellhousing and a 12 volt GMC flywheel and starter. Ran up to 21 pounds of boost and mostly 17 lbs. Went 158 mph in the shown car in '78. Was still running in '98 when I sold the car. (GMC went one way, car another) Is still a record holding El Mirage motor. 270 military motors weak? I don't think so.

Attached Files:

18. krooser

krooser

How good are the 228/248 engines? There's a '52 Jimmy nearby that's for sale...

19. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

you should be fine this is a not really for the engine so much as it is to prevent an over speed of the transfer case on the early war trucks with banjo axles. I guess given production demand they had some issues getting the high range to run at 1:1 instead it ran at 1:.690 (note the point) so too many revs made stuff break

20. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

and by the way ALL military engines warn of over revving...it's good not to be too hard on something that can bring you back or push you through the fighting.

21. Kinky6

Kinky6

You could figure a 228 or 248 to be just as sturdy as the 270 or 302, but these engines would cost you even more to rebuild, in terms of parts and machine shop work, than a 235 or 261 Chevy, with no advantage in cubic inches.

The 270 or 302 would be worth your while due to their larger displacement and sturdier construction than the Chevy engines, but if someone offered me a 228, I would try and buy it cheap, then strip it for parts. Some stuff would make good spare parts for a 270 or 302 (sheet metal, push rods, valve train), and the connecting rods could be used to build a stroker version of a 235 or 261. The width would have to be shaved down to match the Chevy rods, but they are much sturdier. This would also require cast or forged pistons for a stroker Chevy, but you would want to replace the cast iron pistons in the larger GMC's, as well.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

22. krooser

krooser

The guys got the whole '52 1/2 ton complete and it ran a few yaers ago... I was just wondering if it had insert bearings and other more modern parts like the bigger ones...

23. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I have a couple of 270's----I like them too.

24. BIG PORT JIMMY 6

BIG PORT JIMMY 6

My 302 will turn 5500 but likes 5000 alot better, it has a fair amount of work in it. Light weight pistons .125 over and some head porting. If I take it back down I would like to try to lighten the crank and rebalance. Mine is a late 56 or 57 civvie block. I also have a 53 military 302 as a spare. Enjoy the Jimmy. Jay

25. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

My 270 has lightweight forged pistons in it and dual Zeniths on a Nicson intake and dual exhaust, porting, oversized valves on a 270 small port head w/ 9.5:1 compression and it runs smooth to 4200 rpm before it starts wheezing for air. I have a 3-carb intake ready to go on it to see if I can coax it to 4800 rpm tops.

8000 rpm = you better have your scatter shield in place!

26. old bone

old bone
    from maine

i have a friend ..a fellow hamb r' who has this motor...so will the 235 flywheel work?...what is a readily available trans. for these motors....sam where are you?..these guys are talking about your engine
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No deal on the 235 flywheel. You need a GMC flywheel

28. krooser

krooser

You have a couple of everything!!!

29. retromotors

retromotors

I'd be interested in hearing the answer to that, too.

Also, I wasn't aware that a 235 bellhousing would accept a T-5. Any particular year bell? How about a '57 truck bell?

Guess I need to go back and read the T-5 and 235 threads again. It's been awhile and those threads almost offer too much info ... almost an overload!:D

30. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I bought a Billet flywheel as required by the SCTA for what I was doing. GMC dosn't have the same wierd rear seal as the Chevy and I really think I remember trying a Chevy wheel and it didn't work at all. Remember we are talking 30+ years ago.