Register now to get rid of these ads!

The '32 Grill and the Mona Lisa--What do they have in common??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodster, Mar 21, 2010.

1. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Ever wonder why we all love the '32 grill shell. Why not the 34 or the 30 or??? Why it's so pleasing to the eye and soothing to the soul of every hot rodder. The answer is that we humans are hard-wired to love its form. This is because the grill's form is proportioned to something called the Golden Ratio.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So what is this Golden Ratio, also known as the golden mean or golden section? Throughout history artists and architects have proportioned their works to approximate the golden ratio; especially in the form of the golden rectangle, in which the ratio of the longer side to the shorter is the golden ratio – 1:1.618 – believing this proportion to be aesthetically pleasing. Mathematicians have studied the golden ratio because of its unique and interesting properties. It is still the subject of inquiry in art, architecture, music, botony, biology, astronomy and physics. So far science has documented its existance, but no one has fully penetrated its mysterious aesthetic allure.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

There are lots of cool examples of its appearance in nature and use in art and architecture. Google “Golden Section” and see.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So bottom line Henry Ford's designers used the golden ratio to tap into the primal being of every potential buyer, and it still works today on we hot rodders the world round--so it wasn't just that new V8 and thrifty price that hooked 'em.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. 117harv

117harv

Then why have so many builders shortened them over the years?

Food for thought here though.

3. DrJ

DrJ

The so called "Golden ratio" is the invention of Art pundits.
    People who can't draw a crooked line that looks "right".
    If ya gotta have a formula for it, it becomes static, programmed, mediocre. blah.

4. 67cst

67cst

RODSTER- ill have some of whatever your smoking

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Those people are called Cubists. I prefer traditional Hot Rods and art. :D

6. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

3" or less would keep it within the aesthetic range for the average eye. More than that, and it would begin to loose its universal appeal. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't appeal to some or even many. The question is whether it approaches universal appeal or not. Amazingly the stock shell or insert are both literally right on the 1:1.618 ratio.

7. calvinh

calvinh

So since I prefer the 34 grill to the Duece does that mean something is wrong with me?

8. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

I knew this would draw some good ones but this is the best so far. By the way, it's not what I'm smoking, it's what ole Henry's designers were smoking.

9. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Yeah but it's not life threatenning--two asprin and lots of liquids and you'll be a '32 guy by morning.

10. hemifarris

hemifarris

huh?

11. Well that's pretty cool info, a refreshing thread!

12. thinkfink

thinkfink

Interesting topic.
    ...are you by any chance working in a design agency and write rationales for the pitch?
    ...when you mention Orion is starts sounding a little like the nonsense Pepsi paid millions for....http://gemssty.com/2009/02/10/pepsi-the-rationale-behind-the-new-logo/

but anyhow...the 32 grill is a classic and for sure one of the most aesthetic 30s grilles made.
    Edsel btw. prefered sharp aggressive edges and killed the 32 shell. His preference lead to the 33/34 and the 36/37 lincoln grille...the later is my all time fav. And if you want to makethem fit the golden ratio, there is way to break them down to make them fit. As long as things are symmetrical your chances are high.

13. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

So Michael Angelo couldn't draw a crooked line? He proportioned most of his works including "David" and the "Last Supper" to the golden ratio. Di Vinci used it to proportion his "Mona Lisa," which doesn't have a straight line in it. This is not about lines it's about proportion. The '32 grill's lines arn't straight either.

14. George G

George G

You are putting far too much thought into this. :)

15. Shame your OP doesn't have such pleasing proportions.:rolleyes: It's about 2500 pixels wide but my monitor is only 1440 pixels wide. Don't forget to put some carriage returns (Enter) between your pictures.;)

Photographers often use a similar proportion when they employ the Rule Of Thirds in composing their images. Square images don't tend to have the impact that a rectangular shot does. A subject positioned in the center of the frame can seem kind of cold and static compared to a subject placed slightly off-center. The eye likes to be lead around the picture as opposed to just staring into the center.

16. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Better now?

17. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

I'llhave to think about that for a minute!

18. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

19. rodster

rodster
    Member Emeritus

Look at your avatar.

20. SDhotrod

SDhotrod

Rectangles is purdy.

21. Muttley

Muttley

This guy wants to know if his shirt has the Golden Ratio.

[​IMG]

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

"rodster" Now you've got me curious. Would you please post photos of your car/cars so I can better understand your ideas on design? Sounds as though you have a great eye for the design of your hot rods..... Thanks,Mike
    Here's 2 of mine:click photo once to enlarge...twice for full size

Attached Files:

23. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

Wow nice thread!
    Design Theory is nothing new, we all look for a way to get that "right" look or stance, going a bit scientific is welcomed ;)

If you check the amount of all good topchops you will find many golden-ration ones.

24. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Mona Lisa looks more like a 34 Ford grill than a 32. She has that pointy chin going on, like the 34.

Attached Files:

25. The only problem is your spelling,,:D HRP

26. I wonder if the '55 Chevy grille adheres to the golden mean rule?

Really. I'm serious, as this is another universally loved design. Can someone do the math?

27. freebird101

freebird101

thats interesting

28. Some people are really missing the point with this.

Its not about style, taste, detail or quality.
    Its about the very fundamental proportions of an object and the fact that the most pleasing proportion of any object to the human eye can be calculated with a simple mathematical formula.

Using the Golden Mean rule doesn't make you a bad artist/designer. If anything it makes you better because you understand design far deeper than lines on a page.

Great thread.

29. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I get it...now I'm going back to bed

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  30. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Interesting post rodster! I never thought about the Golden Ratio and hot rods before. I see it all the time in carpentry. A good example is on raised panel doors, especially on kitchen cabinets. Sometimes they're too tall and skinny or short and fat. You just know when it looks right.