Register now to get rid of these ads!

twin i beam worth the time???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yamadafacka, Mar 20, 2010.

1. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

used the search engine, but the answers were kinda up and down. so i need a solid answer, im going to look at a 65 ford truck tomorrow, it has twin i beams. i would like to lower it, but dont know if i should even waste my time with dealing with the camber. SO... are twin i beams really worthless and a waste of time?? what do you think?

2. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I don't mind them, have had many, some stock, some I've lowered, and my current one...a 6" lifted O/T Ford Ranger...Camber is not a big deal to mess with in my opinion.

3. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

What I've heard is "right, they are worthless, a waste of time" - just repeating what I've heard, never owned one myself. I don't remember why, but there has to be a reason that design didn't last long.

4. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Didn't last that long? ... It lasted into the early 90s. 25 years isn't that long?
    It was a great design, much tougher than GMs A arms.
    Its just harder to lower.
    Check on DJM dreambeams they will lower 3 to 4 inches, any more than that and your looking at a front end swap. (just like a chevy)

5. krooser

krooser

The early ones had king pins and there was no factory allowance for camber adjustments....later units used ball joints.

I found a '65 in nice shape that i plan to pick-up soon...I'll drive it with the twin I beam...

6. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

You must live in a vaccum! Ford made them until 1997! That's 33 or so years!!!:eek:

7. Danoflapper

Danoflapper

I was wondering the same thing. I've got the 2wd ball joint twin i-beam. I'd really like to end up lowering it but is it worth the effort? What's the cost factor in an operation like this?

8. Adam McLaughlin

Adam McLaughlin

Not bad, my daily driver is the 5.8 Ranger with the dream beams, and I am very happy with it.

Adam

9. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

I had a 72 f250 that I used the DJM beams....

drove nice. first thing I ever customized on any of my personal cars.

10. I have a '67, basically the same frame and suspension. I put in a pair of DJM 3" dropped I beams a few years ago. They work great, but that's all you get, 3". And they ain't cheap, around $400. Previously, I had cut the coils to lower and bent the I beams to get the caster back. Good for about 2", any more and the I beams will bottom out on the cross member.

Also, it's fairly easy to add disk brakes. The I beams are all the same, as well as the king pin OD, but the disk brake spindles are different. I used '78 spindles and brakes, with the '78 king pin kit, and everything bolted up. This will increase the track width slightly, so plan accordingly with wheel offsets.

11. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

thanks for the quick reply's guys! i looked into the DJM beams, they would cost me about 600. could you cut coils, then pie cut the beams and plate the ever livin hell out of them??

12. How low do you want to go? I had the dream beams on my 65 and it drove well. BUT, that's all you can do.The I beams going across the bottom of chassis crossmember wont let you go any lower.Cutting coils wont do much. Plus the negative camber your gonna get is going to make your ride look ridiculous. Pie cutting them?:eek:Hell No! That is so risky.Plus your steering links are going to be off too.

13. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

GOOD CALL. im only looking to go 3 to 4 lower( if i even get the truck) but spending 600 bucks to acheive that seems a bit rediculous. maybe if i do get it, ill roll it stock for the summer, and clip it in the winter.

14. I wouldn't recommend spending $600 for the DJM kit. Thats the mistake I made a few years back. Know i'm rolling on a 2nd generation Camaro front clip on my truck and love the ride. I totally recommend it if you got the skills to do it your self.

15. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

i can do it. time and money haha

i couldnt belive it when i saw the price on those beams

second gen camaro is 70's right? disk brakes?

16. davis574ord

davis574ord

i have used the djm kit on several ford trucks and i always cut at least one coil off also and they looked great

17. calvinh

calvinh

I had a 64 that I sold a couple of months ago that I clipped. Well worth it.

18. I've had the DJM kit on my truck for about 3 years now, but did not cut any coils or use drop springs. The truck is about as low as it can go and still move around and not bottom out or scrape. Just make sure you follow the instructions. It's easy to mess up here if you aren't familiar with twin I-beam fronts.

19. I am prety sure that fat man makes a MM2 kit for that truck! I know its a fair bit of money but you get disc brakes rack and pinion stering and muck lower ride. Just my 2 cents! Hope it helps!

20. krooser

krooser

Look into a JAG IFS... ez to do on the earlier frames... great ride, cheap and much easier than a clip job.

21. 4 years ago there was no MII kit for that style of frame and I think because of the big ass crossmember.Thats why I did the Camaro clip.On that Overhaulin show,Foose worked on a 65 and modified a MII crossmember and cut off the original one from the frame.I think he might have used a kit for an early 60's frame.With the 1 axle front suspension.

22. 65fordguy

65fordguy

If you want bolt and go... go with the beams... you can get them for 400 if you look around... try ebay.. they sell them new there.

if you want a semi bolt and go... but with fab work... 03- up Crown vic front end...
    They unbolt from the car... cut out cross member on truck... bolt up to the truck.. or weld on.. but bolts in easily... check out this build thread..
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/716058-buildup-06-crown-vic-front-suspension-into-67-f100.html
    their are plenty more, some here.

[​IMG]

Personally, im going to run the DJM beams... I like the vintage feel and look.. and like said here... its time tested.. and strong.

from another forum.. this truck has the DJM beams.
    [​IMG]

23. Didn't last long...hmmm...1965 through 1996. Nope. Not long at all. Just 32 model years. Must've been junk to have been in production that long.

They can be modified, but you need to have someone smart on them to do them right.

24. RichG

RichG

The crown vic conversion 65fordguy mentioned is definitely worth looking at. When my daughter wants her '64 F-100 (straight axle) upgraded that's what will be going into it.

There's nothing wrong with the twin beam suspension, they're just spendy to upgrade and more hassle than they're worth when it comes to customizing. By the time you buy beams, pieces, upgrade your brakes, and add power steering, you'll be into it way more than the clip would cost you... and you won't have the ride the clip will provide-and I also believe that the crown vic clip provides an instant 5" drop!:eek:

P.S. : from my personal experience, if you have a twin beam truck and the damn thing wanders like a drunken hobo, and you've gone through the whole front end, replacing EVERYTHING!... check to make sure your frame is square:rolleyes: (if the clip conversion had been available at that time I'd still have that truck!)

25. choptopdoc

choptopdoc
    from tulsa

The truck in my avitar has the djm beams and 2 coils cut. It didnt get it low enough for me, though it did drive well. I just bought a 61 sw unibody that is gettin the 03 to 07 crown vic front end treatment. You cant beat it. About 300bucks and you get independent suspension, rack and pinion steering, and 12in disks. Its a no brainer for me.

26. I did the Camaro clip and love it! I wish i would of taken pictures of the time I did the front end. Camaro front ends are still available at your local pick a part.So is the Crown Vics.
    The big advantage the 2nd gen clip has over the vic set up is.You dont have to work with the original frame dimensions.I cut (welded some braces to frame from twisting)the Ford frame right behind the front cab mounts. I kept the whole clip intact.The width of the clip was almost identical to the inside width of the Ford frame.I think I shaved off about a 1/2 or so on each side and the sucka slipped right in. Know u can set the ride height(assuming you had everything measured before hand)weld it, box it,and your done.Oh ya, I forgot to mention that I still kept the Ford Inline 6 in it and know i'm in the process of installing a 302 w/C4 trans.

27. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I will mention.. the crownvic upgrade has one downer... thats the wheel choice.. while you can get custom steelies made to fit.. you will have to get a positive offset wheel.. like what comes on modern mustangs.. and crown vics... so do homework on your wheel choice before you buy... this is about as traditional a wheel I've seen on this setup.

[​IMG]

there is a build thread in the link in my sig.. second page in.

28. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I looked into this, it is a popular upgrade for many f100 guys... along with t he volare front clip... both relatively easy to install.. I can get my hands on a volare easier, I havent found a camaro in any of my local yards. However Volare parts are getting few and far between.. I am told that some parts from certain years and models interchange with the more popular torsion bar suspension of the chargers challengers or something.. I forget..

29. Like i said on my first post. How low you want to go? Thats gonna determine level of modifications that has to be done to get the ride height you want.