Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 chevy 5 window coupe.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No car!!!!!!, Mar 11, 2010.

1. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Hi everyone names scott this is my first hotrod its a 1933 chevy 5 window coupe allll custom I cant even find a deck lid for it I have to custom make one my self for it. But I have a question that I hope that everyone could posibly help me with. It has no roof I was wondering if someone could tell me what car would be the best to cut the roof out of?? Im so stumped on it ive done so much to it and if this and the decklid are the last things that I have to do the body someone help me pleaseee.

Scott

2. OKOLDS smashitup

OKOLDS smashitup
    from OKC

use an old van, they are have enough width and length to cover the top.

3. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Do you meen that it doesn't have a roof (fabric), insert, or the whole roof has been cut off? If it is just the roof insert that you want to fill, try a 55 - 57 Chevy or Pontiac sedan, (not hardtop). A friend of mine has had a 33 Chevy Mercury series coupe since the 60's and used the rear part of a 56 Chevy roof to fill his 33 coupe. The crown is very close and it worked really well.

4. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

It has the roof just missing the insert. I was thinking about buying one of the remanufactured ford ones but i looked at the price and choked and sayed screw it ill custom fab it.:cool:

5. roddinron

roddinron

Personally, I wouldn't weld in a steel panel, I'd redo the insert. It'll set it apart from all those glass cars out there, and I think the insert looks great on them. JMO

6. Bobby Walden's speed shop makes them. They are $475.00 buy it now, on that auction site. I used the roof skin from a '67 Pontiac Catalina on our '32, crown both ways was perfect.

[​IMG]

7. 62 chevy hood. cut it down to fit. has some nice ribs for extra strength.

8. 8flat

8flat

Good luck on the decklid.....I paid $750 for one on eGay...and needs some work.

Jim Sibley sold one to me (just the skin, no inner frame) for cheap, but it must be for a standard, it's slightly smaller than my master. If it fits yours, you can have it for what I paid for it.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

X2. If you're really set on a steel roof panel (do you have any idea how much warpage you're going to get once you start welding one in?), seems a like a walk around a 'U-Pick' yard would net you a ribbed roof from some sort of 80's vintage small van or SUV. WAY better than finding a Tri 5 Chev or Pontiac one. That'd likely get you tarred and feathered today...

Brian

10. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

How about colored plexiglass? could be real cool if you're doing a sixties type build... or maybe an aluminum panel with a bunch of rivets, or a mix of both? some canvas from an army tent? 57 chevy hood with the two bullets? endless possibilities. sounds fun.

11. Jims35

Jims35

Mine is a sedan so I needed a longer roof than you do . I used a top from a 57 ford 4 door sedan it has some grooves in it that breaks up the flatness . I found the hard tops to flat as well as most of the vans I checked . The chevys of that year had a little more crown than the fords did. The 2 door sedans were to short for my sedan but would work for you on a coupe. There are a few pictures of it in my pictures. I think some are of it as I worked on the top .

12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

My 33 chevy five window has a smooth metal insert welded in, I wanted it to be smooth, but the 33 has a two inch crown and that is a lot to do if you aren't used to an english wheel. email me an address if you want to see it. You also have to cut out some of the inner metal structure to hammer weld the welds and then weld the structure back in.

13. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

thanks for the ideas keep them comeing.

Scott

14. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

15. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

16. Here are some 33 5 windows I don't hate. :DMaybe just something to get the wheels turning?

Attached Files:

17. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Those are some awsome pictures thank you.

18. Mine has a Juliani top I did myself, you can do it for about $150.

Attached Files:

19. James427

James427
    BANNED

How about the best of both worlds and use a folding roof?

Attached Files:

20. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Hear are a couple pictures of when it didnt have a chop then after then new 9 inch ford 4 link rearend with weld draglights.:D

Attached Files:

21. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Nice i might go towards that i dont know yet I still have to buy a tig to finish welding all the brackets in.

22. 1929rats

1929rats

NO6 ---- I LOVE your car......F*cking awesome!

23. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Thank you very much. Its a work in progress hope to have it running with the 396 and the th 400 that i have in the garage really soon.

24. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Can anyone tell me what sand blasting material would be best for removeing the 2 coats of paint and rust at a decent price.

25. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Weather permiting I will un cover my car aka earth shaker. And take some new pictures of it cause it it registered as a 1933 chevy 5 window coupe but the doors are longer and it makes it look cooler but cant figure out what there from.

26. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

how long are they?
    they seem to fit fine. I have a 33 5 window and a 33 3 window I can measure and check it out for you

27. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

That would be awsome. Ill check they are 41 inches long.

28. rsg2506

rsg2506

I have 34 chevy that we filled the roof in. I made a couple cardboard templates that measured the arc going from front to back and the from side to side. I then took the templates and walked around the junk yard until I found a roof with a crown that seemd to be close to the templates (Pontiac sunbird I think). Hope that helps...not very high tech or fancy but it came it out really nice.

-Rich

29. eberhama

eberhama

From the pic in your profile, it would appear that someone grafted a 2dr. sedan cowl and doors to 5 window quarters to make a "long door" 5-window. Do you have a dead on side shot of it? would be interesting to see it. I have also seen a early mustang coupe roof skin grafted on backwards(from how it was on the mustang) used with great success.

30. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

I dont have a dead on side pic of it but once I find my camara I will take a picture of it eberhama.

And rsg2506 thanks on the idea I think im gona try that.