Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No car!!!!!!, Mar 14, 2010.

1. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

I have a 1933 chevy 5 window coupe and I have a superbell 4inch drop front axle and I have rack and pinion and I need to find and I need a stearing column can someone tell me what used ones would be the best?

Tilt or none tilt dosent matter but it dose have to be a floor shit.

2. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

How about a '40 Ford truck column? Or build one, there's at least one good post in the tech-o-matic on the subject.

-Dave

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First this...

[​IMG]

(floor shit)

Second:

Why are you using a rack and pinion type steering with a dropped axle?

Third:

Steering column you want... Limeworks Speed Shop

http://limeworkspeedshop.com/

[​IMG]

5. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I missed that. This is more of a steering-box kinda site. Ford F100 might be good for your Chevy.

-Dave

6. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Its not power its just a rack and pinion no power stearing. And scooter id rather have a floor shift then a column shift looks cooler.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree floor shift is the way to go. Floor SHIT is kind of stinky... ;):D

As for the rack & pinion... Power steering or not, why are you using a rack & pinion type steering with a dropped axle instead of using a steering box mounted on the frame with drag link? Are you calling a steering box "rack & pinion"???

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rack and pinion

[​IMG]

Steering box with pitman arm

[​IMG]

9. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Ya probly calling the rong thing this cars been driveing me nuts.
    I got it from ididit.

10. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Floor shit,.....good one scooter....

11. deuceman32

deuceman32

Might we be talking about a Unisteer set up?

12. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Could it be this style ? This is a rack and pinion replacement for the vega style steering.

Attached Files:

13. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

exactly what i have polished brand new. Im only 17 and this is my first hotrod please excuse me for forget some things.

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Early corvairs are small and have turn signal lever ,Not ugly at all like the late model gm ones.

15. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

cool makes sence just looked at a picture of one that will look awsome.

16. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Hard thing for me is going to be trying to find one that someone isnt going to charge me a arm and a leg.

17. Andy

Andy

Buy some 1 1/2" tubing(muffler pipe or fence post) and some hardware store wheelbarrow bearings 1 3/8x3/4. Use a shaft that will match whatever wheel you will use(Early Ford=tapered and key, late ford splined,late GM splined).Put a tie rod clamp on the bottom an a spacer at the top if needed. Done for $10 + shaft. You will still need a joint welded on the bottom and shaft and joint at the box.

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Awesome!!! Good for you man!! Get in there and do it!

Some great suggestions for columns here. The thing that's going to become an issue with all this is the fact that you will have to run a u-joints and a steering shaft from the steering column to the rack & pinion you have. It's going to get messy quick, and these components are somewhat expensive when all is said and done. You haven't mentioned what you're planning to do for an engine, but it may physically not work without a whole mess of steering shafts to get around the engine. This is one of the reasons this is not a typical setup.

Using a steering box and the typical steering arrangement used for cross-steer or steering driven by a simple drag link and tie rod (like the Model A Ford used) you will have a lot more room to work and it's a simple setup.

Any particular reason you chose the rack & pinion arrangement? Let's see some pictures of the project! Sounds like you're going to be a busy man! :cool:

19. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

All that you said makes sence I have a 396 big block chevy thats going in and its gona be a tight fit. I will take some pictures in a little when I find my camra. I chose rack and pinion cause acording to my dad we dont need power stearing cause the car only weights 1300 pounds its gona be a go-cart with a big block.

20. HotRod33

HotRod33

It is cool that you are building a hotrod... but how did you come up with it is only going to weigh 1300 pounds....

21. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

I have a budy that has one of the 4 scale set up. And we put the car on it with the tranny and the motor and it only weight 1026 pounds so its gona be in the 1300 to 2000 range.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree you don't need power steering for these little cars.

Is this what you're trying to accomplish?

[​IMG]

This type of steering isn't generally preferred for a straight axle car, but obviously it's been done. You need to be VERY careful about how you set this up or you're going to have some geometry problems that could lead to some bad stuff. Using a conventional steering box with drag link or cross-steering is generally preferred with a straight axle setup for a reason.

Notice that the front suspension in the picture above is a 4-link setup.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  23. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Yup thats it I have a superbell 4in drop front axle with the four bar setup and the rack and pinino will be setup like that.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay. Well... You're going to need a couple u-joints and a steering shaft to connect the steering column to that rack & pinion arrangement. Use high quality steering components for this. Certainaly not the place to cut corners.

Check Flaming River:
    http://www.flamingriver.com/

and Borgeson:
    http://www.borgeson.com/

Speedway probably also sells both brands:
    http://www.speedwaymotors.com/

Expect that you will probably have to make custom headers for this in order to clear all this stuff. maybe even have to slightly notch your frame.

Good luck with your build! Learn all you can while you're doing this. Great opportunity for someone your age.

25. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Ya thank you for all that information im gona right it all down and go to the sites and study how much its gona cost once I find the stearing wheel. I no that flameing river makes one of the best stearing columns out there.
    On the custom headers thats the fun part about it im not looking for my car to be the same as someones or something that someone has allready maid its completly custom. Well when im done I hope.

26. You will be lucky to get under 2000 pounds when done. 2300-2800 is more like it.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

How are you mounting the axle in your Chevy? Back in the 60s I had a friend that used a Ford axle and spring assembly in a 34 Chevy sedan to get rid of the ugly Master Knee action front suspension. I've never seen it done since then. It worked great and as far as I know it is still around.

28. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Ya it could be a good thing or It could be a bad thing. We are going to have to do some work on the back end for traction. My dad thinks that im gona spend alot of time doing burnouts all the time which could cost me lots of money in tires. :(

29. pitman

pitman

Some alternatives:
    I was given a VW rabbit rack and pinion, and a column w/the key lock cylinder.
    The only trick, was to find a sliding column joint, and carefully set the whole thing up.
    The Chevy Cavalier mid-nineties had one that worked fine. If you're having the big block, this does take the steering box out of the picture, which is helpful.
    I did mount the steering directly to the axle, (entering the dark zone! of non-trad!)
    Hence the need for the slip joint. As to over-all weight, you might be up around 2400 lbs, big blocks and trannies and rear's strong enough to take them add poundage.

30. No car!!!!!!

No car!!!!!!
    from Sumner,wa

Never even looked at vw the stearing column is a good lenght. My dad told me to shoot for getting a tilt column because if you put a non tilt column in its there for good or you gona be messing with the stearing to change the position of it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010