Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heidts Rear Coil Over's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DMcGuire, Mar 17, 2010.

1. DMcGuire

DMcGuire

I need to purchase some rear coil over's with springs for a frame thats being built for my model a coupe. Has anyone used the heidts rear coil overs for this (#250)? Is there another option? Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy heidts products because it seems their website is more expensive than others, or does anyone on this forum have some for sale?

2. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Speedway probably has the best prices. Or an Alliance vendor. Theres a lot to choose from besides Heidts (not that theres anything wrong with them), TCI,Aldan,
    Pro shocks, just to name a few.

Unless you like to fiddle with them,stay away from the adjustable shocks as they cost more.

3. DMcGuire

DMcGuire

Thanks for the advice i will check it out.

4. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

What is the car these are going under? That will determine spring rate and such. There is indeed a fair amount of options and price ranges.

5. Topper

Topper

I work for a shock company but won't give the name for free advertising. You need to measure from center of bolt holes with the vehicle at ride height with all the weight on the car. This is where you want the vehicle to be when you are ready to drive down the road. This will determine the stroke of the shock you need. It is best to be in the middle of the stroke of the shock. The angle is better if not more than 20 degrees. If you have moved the gas tank to saddle tanks or to the rear will determine your spring rate. I would think 225 lb. would be plenty. The last thing is determine the bolt size, 5/8 grade 8 is good. Any of the shocks mentioned are good choices. Hope this helps.

6. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I use Aldan, guaranteed for life. I had a set go away, they replaced them no charge.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've been using the shock sold at So-Cal for the last couple of years, switched from Aldans to these and my customers have been sastisfied with the product.

8. DMcGuire

DMcGuire

The car these are going on is a 30 Model A coupe. Im having a guy build the frame and he suggested the Heidts brand and he said he usually uses 250lb. Ive read a little and most coupes are using 200-225 and just wanted to make sure 250 isnt to much.

9. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Bought some TCI units off ebay and got good pricing and decent quality. Using 180# springs on small block fender-less Model A and gas tank up front. Raked over 20 degrees and all is well. You will have to take a chance on some unit and then adapt if it's not right.

10. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

just took off the 250's off due to hard ride & replaced with 200's seems a lot better now
    [​IMG]

11. Fenders

Fenders

You can check out Lindblad Chassis in Massachusetts...
    $105 each
    Lindblad Chassis & Automotive
    2194 Providence Road, Northbridge, MA 01534
    <NOBR>(508) 234-8283</NOBR>&#8206;

250 sounds high, Lindblad has 90 to 500 and I think the standard is about 180 pounds....

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

QA1 is a great value. Make sure you use proper math to select spring rate based on the rear vehicle weight minus the weight of the rear axle, rolling stock and suspension. Guessing will just cost you money and cause frustration.

13. I'm running 150 pounders set at 24 degrees for my highboy, as recommended by the AFCO racing boys. By the way, for what its worth, when I purchased them, the guy I spoke with there said that if I got them and they didnt seem to be right for the car, to give them a call to discuss it further, send them back on my nickle and they would send out another set on their nickle at no charge. Pretty hard to beat that.