Register now to get rid of these ads!

Monthly New Jersey Hotrod Meet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R.Otto, Mar 14, 2010.

1. 57blueboat

57blueboat
    from California

I have a number of friends from Millstone and that town has some great rural driving roads with low traffic. I think that would make a particularly good route for a drive and its a central location.

2. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Have you ever even been north of the Berrys Creek Bridge?? No offense, but you sound clueless...

3. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

ELD, thats not a bad path i drive it alot and it never gets old

4. VanHorton

VanHorton

maaaan ive been saying we need a reliability run up near the delaware water gap and north west jersey for soooo long.... up by High Point there are some Amazing roads...

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

:D

Actually...I'm sure I am clueless...TO A POINT, but, I only know my own experience, and I tend to recount them exactly as I see them, thats all.

No offense taken, at all...and yes, if there are ACTUALLY nice places, with rural routes, and no inner-city crack houses, mixed with the occasional hipster coffee shack, as my experience with north Jersey has always been, I have not seen them yet.

Actually, It might be that I have not put the smart-ass/sarcastic face, needed to imply that while what I say is, perhaps containing of a portion of truth, also, being a bit... well...sarcastic.

Sarcasm needed to make the following point:

I ABSOLUTELY HATE the entire area around the Big Rotten Apple, is basically what I mean, ( and that includes the certainly predominant, in my experience, yuppie-centric attitude around there.)
    I've done a LOT of driving around there, and by and large, the people seem ignorant, and aloof, and the roads are horrendous.
    There are potholes on the way to Hoboken that could swallow a Model A...and the potholes have potholes!

The Oranges, and surrounding area, would not be a pleasant drive if it was in an air-conditioned sleeper-equipped Peterbuilt, with a driver, a full bar, and a trailer in tow to pick up a FREE '32 Ford Roadster.
    It's just an awful area...outside of that, I don't know much about it...except that the western part of the north is much less of a parking lot for NYC, and, probably is very nice.

I would absolutely drive the route shown in the map posted above with glee...
    I just have NO interest in an urban dis-repair run.

This could be cool...avoid the trendy places, and the inner-city, and it would be tits.

6. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

HAMB folk live in all sorts of areas. Respect is due to all. Put the energy in OUR shared interest. I love the back woods, I lived upstate NY for 20 years. RURAL. I just got back from Detroit. Best HAMB folk anywhere! I can see the Empire State Building from my block here in Northern Jersey. Its all GOOD. Its not awful. Its home. So lighten up. This is the HAMB. The HAMB is a priviledge. Slim

7. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I want one in NJ bad. I'm gonna have my coupe on the road in about 2 months now. Just in time for perfect driving weather. tell me where to go I'll be there! but I have to agree with keeping it away from the north Jersey area especially closer to NYC. I live in North Jersey and I wouldn't really want to go closer to NYC than the Wayne/Willowbrook area

8. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

some real nice cruising grounds in the d&r canal area along with eld suggestion. a lot of old truss bridges, some old mills and locks. nice old homes. woods, water and there are parking areas in the d&r park system along the way. id join you guys but im out of "the click" after selling the essex.

9. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Not particularly trying to offend anyone, either, just saying what would appeal to ME. I can only answer for myself, imo...

The question was where, And Mel brought up some bad points about the lanes, I put my opinion about the NYC outlying areas...if it's anywhere anyone doesn't like, well...we don't have to go, right?

My points about the metropolitan archetypes, are only meant to raise what I feel are legitimate concerns about running cross-ways with VERY anti-hot rodding type forces, is all, I mean...who wants to have a crappy time, right?...also an area of concern with this thread, since obviously according to some previous posts, public assembly red tape may also come in to play, as well as noise issues with overcrowded neighborhoods.

The road surfaces, traffic, and their end result on true automobiling spiritual creaminess, I don't think need any defending/reclarification at all...

Sorry to offend, but, I just represent our, often overlooked, section of the state...some of the nicest folks, and prettiest drives, and it's like we don't even exist down here, most cases...Someone said a run to Atco a while back, it is a BEAUTIFUL area, with really nice runs through the pines, and farm fields....crickets chirped, someone frowned............
    And....moving right along....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  10. R.Otto

R.Otto

I say we stick with the edison plan and north jersey guys meet at a specific location and make a run to the meet and south jersey guys do the same. Good with everyone?

11. sonim38

sonim38

...we should visit multiple jap car shows, and smoke them out...take their women...then leave...

12. 40streetrod

40streetrod
    from nj

Edison? I live the next town over from Edison. 2 things your not going to like
    1- Traffic and I don't mean the band
    2- Indians and I don't mean Cowboys and Indians

How about we find a bar with good food and parking and make it a nice back country road trip to get there.

see ELD map, that's the area in CNJ to shoot for and it's only 10 -15 miles down the road from Edison. you can get there off of Rt1 or off of Rt287 and if you head over/past Hillsboro there's a small biker bar with good food and parking and it's a real nice ride too. not many lights, miles of back country roads, even a old steel bridge to drive over.

13. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

u talkin bout hillbilly hall or whatever its called. i was thinkin the same thing. the path eld made is good but its a little short we can make that place a halfway point. get all tanked up n hit the road again [​IMG] im not a fan of edison.

14. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

15. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

meet at that park on Blackwells Mills Rd. whoops on the map it says take millstone river road. but i think canal road would be better.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  16. Good locations:

Anything along Rt 295 Comadore Barry Bridge to Cherry Hill
    this will be good for Delawre, Maryland & Pa guys !

OR

Along Rt 322 area up to A.C Expressway areas also good

17. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

A 25 mile run isn't really going to be long enough. Our Poker Run is 75 miles and we got people requesting a longer route this year. You could easily do 100 miles and only be on the road a couple hours.

18. Spoken like a true piney. You should get out more. Ya'll jealous of us up here with that there new fangled indoor plummin we all got. :rolleyes:
    Seriously, why don't we start with Edison or we'll still be debating this till Labor day. Once we see how it goes, we can always rotate the location every so often so everyone gets a shot at hosting and then we can get to see different areas. :D

19. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

the reason I suggested Edison area initially was its central location, so that no. jersey guys, and so. jersey guys had an equidistant drive to a centralized location, if you go NW jersey the so. jersey guys have a 2 1/2 hour drive, if you go so.jersey, the no. jersey guys have a 2 1/2 hour drive, central area its 1 - 1 1/2 for each, plus its still centralized enough that these (4) major roads feed into it, NJ tpke., GSP, 287, and Route #1, you can always use it as a jumping off point for a "tour" but still think its the most forgiving as a meeting place -

20. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Yeah...you kinda got it...;)
    Hey, you guys even know the word "piney" up there??? I thought that was a secret...

Seriously, though...I DO know that there are rural and pleasant places in north Jersey, just that they really ain't Newark, ya' know what I mean?
    A friend of mine was from Sussex county, it is real nice, but, anything along the outskirts of NYC, and I would just as soon drive out to P.A., or Delaware/Maryland....

Actually, I'm not opposed to going MUCH farther than a true, central meeting point, if it takes me out of the crappy metro-driving...I'd rather tack an hour or two on, to get above the urbanity! ( although I'm sure many folks might not agree...)
    I just think that if the idea is going to be to drive, lets make it worth the drive, too...I'd rather drive twice as long to get to the start, and come home saying "What a cool bunch of places, and scenery I just saw" and with a camera full of pix, and be de-stressed, and mellow, then already pissed off, and with high blood pressure before I even arrive at the start!
    But...again, just my opinion...I'm sure that some folks just love spending two hours to drive 10 miles, bumper to bumper.

21. VanHorton

VanHorton

easy tiger.... i agree with the traffic, but i can think of a million other reasons other than number 2 why not to go to edison... even though its the internet you still need to watch what you say...

22. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I agree 100% John. The reason I suggested Roosevelt Park was because it is on Route 1, and the Turnpike, Parkway and 287 all converge on it for easy access within 1 mile. Not to mention they have adequate facilities to park a whole bunch of cars, and they even have BBQs and benches set up for picnicking. People can show up with coolers, get some delicious BBQ going, get a boom box with some good music, hang out and shoot the breeze. That way we're not cooped up in some bar, paying through the nose for beer and food. And since we'll be outside we can check each other's rides out.

Plays in the Park doesn't start until June, not to mention they run at night. I had figured on this being an afternoon thing. Traffic isn't great around Menlo Mall (which is within walking distance of Roosevelt for reference), but the traffic around it in North Edison and Metuchen is that of standard surface streets. Especially on a weekend you're eliminating the traffic caused by commuters and that generated by schools.

my $.02

23. 47 ford

47 ford

57 Joe

I agree your idea sounds great, lets get this thing rolling !!!!!!

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Sorry Joe, no can do. I sold my "boom box" in 1992... :D

25. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

You were born before 1992?? :D

26. hellcat666

hellcat666

joe please dont bring your boom box idk how many times we can listen to Easy E and Big pun.

27. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Thats not the point BOBBY! lol :D

28. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

R.Otto - location? first date? you started it, make a call!!!

29. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

Agreed

30. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

my vote is the dry lake beds of southern jersey