Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1948 Buick Streamliner (Norman E. Timbs)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Mar 17, 2010.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I first pulled this from a site called ZEUTCH but then found more info on the supercar.net site. The Streamliner is an incredibly fluid shape that I think is worth viewing. I love the idea of exaggerating a form for an idealized custom shape. When we think if customs we think of that speed boat look of the car coming right out of the water right??? Well this is the water and it flows like blood in my veins making my heart pitter patter.

I really like the Dash on this car also because incorporates the look of a Hot Rod as well as European sports cars into something that is graceful and classy. Such a big car you'd expect more leg room though huh? But 120mph in this thing would be pretty incredible to say the least.

Here Is the Story from the supercars site.

Mechanical engineer Norman E. Timbs created this dramatic streamliner in the 1940s. He designed the project himself which included a custom aluminum body and steel chassis. It took him over two years to finish the streamliner which in many ways was the ultimate American hot rod.

Leading up to the design of this car, Norman E. Timbs had worked as an Indy 500 designer on cars such as the Blue Crown Specials which won Indy several times. Mr Timbs was no doubt influenced by the 1937 Auto Union Typ C Stromlinie and 1937 Mercedes-Benz W25 Avus Stromlinie which ran the 1937 Avus GP. His sensational shape was a very close approximation to these cars which ran the fastest GP race of all time nearing speeds of 248.40 mph (400 kph).

Unlike the Grand Prix German cars, the Mr Timbs' Streamliner was built for the road. It used a 1948 Buick V8 to power the 2200 lbs car to 120 mph. The engine was mounted in a custom chassis that placed it behind the driver. The main chassis is built up from four-inch steel tubes which kick up over the rear axle.

The body is nod to the German GP cars which at the time mimicked aeronautical practice. The smooth shape is long and low with a complete underbelly panel. With the engine occupying the rear of the chassis, the cockpit is pushed forward. In keeping with the aerofoil shape, no doors were are cut out of the body. A large one-piece rear panel opens hydraulically to reveal the entire rear end of the chassis.

Road & Track reported that it took Mr Timbs 2 1/2 years to create the car at a cost of $10,000 USD. The body was created entirely in aluminum by Emil Diedt for $8,000 alone.

At first the Streamliner was only used on the show circuit until Jim Davis of California bought it in 1952. He used it in and around Manhattan Beach, California and let Motor Life photograph it for a feature article.

The car was discovered in the desert pretty much intact in 2002. It was restored by Dave Crouse for the 2010 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

Story by Richard Owen

http://www.supercars.net/cars/4688.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

I'd say they pulled the restoration off.That's a beauty.Thanks J.J.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

i figured as much half way through copying all those images. I guess this will give a chance for people that would never search for Norman E Timbs to check it out. Sorry for the repost sheriff:D.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn. Ryan you can close this if you want since there's already an existing thread.

6. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Thanks for the repost JJ, I missed the first thread... That is a work of art. Not really feeling the air shocks... but you can't have it all :D

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just busting your balls... it's always to see a cool Buick... ;)

and those pics are all in there... :p

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I know I know, nobody cares about this Buick.... hahaha!!!

Funny thing is I think I posted on the other thread. I'm that guy.

9. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

lol I was reading through the other thread and saw you posted on it... I was going to call you on it, but you called yourself! :D

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This brain of mine is like a left over stew. There is just so much shit being stirred into it at once it's hard to keep track!!! What can I say!

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Beautiful restoration, glad to see the rich guys are paying for stuff like this.

12. Rikster

Rikster

Geoff Hacker took these photos of the car at the Amilia Island Concours...

That car is just to beautiful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 73super

73super

I think I'd stay away from a drive-thru car wash in that thing. Also, where do you put the groceries?

14. Rikster

Rikster

A few more this time from Rick D'Louhy (from Geoff Hacker's website)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. rexrogers

rexrogers

Thanks for posting the pictures of the car at the show, I have only seen the car here at the shop. The shots of the car sitting on the grass are too cool. I am grateful to involved with the restoration on this car and preserving some of our automotive history Norman Timbs work as an engineer affected a lot of different aspects of the automotive and racing industry. The original intent for the car was to be mild Restoration and a solid driver, but as the Restoration got under way so did the amount of interest in the car and the car was invited out to FL when it was completed. The car was restored so that it could be driven and used, with the cockpit being so small i wouldn't want to take any cross country tours with it but it dose handle pretty good.

16. Talked to Dave Crouse last night, he'd just gotten home from Amelia. Said it was fabulous experience. Been watching that process in the Custom Auto shop for a few years now, what an amazing project.

Johnnie.

17. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I just saw the article in, I think it was Octane magazine or something close to that and the car is gorgeous. Beautiful restoration. Actually saw it during construction when I was with Fivewindowjohnnie picking up his ride. Great car!

18. Janne

Janne

That's quite weird design. Beautiful photos!

19. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Saw pictures of it in old weathered condition before it was restored, WOW very nice job guys.That car is awesome.It would be a big hit at the KKOA leadsled spactular show in Salina Kansas .

20. creams

creams

thank's for the picts. that thing beautiful.yes it would be great to have it at the leadsled,salina. creams

21. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I just hate it when jerks toss a bunch of random parts together, without any eye for craftsmanship and just take it out on the road in whatever shape they please. We need to fight this trend.....right after the next cup of coffee

what an awesome accomplishment this car is....my first impression is that the hood is too short - till I looked at ALL the pictures...man...that thing just flows.....

dj

22. hatch

hatch
    from house

Amelia island was great.....there was just so much stuff that Ive never ever heard of......incredible cars including this one. It's killer in the flesh, and the restoration was superb!!! I won't miss Amelia next year....that's for sure

23. ipfrev

ipfrev
    from Oregon

It's absolutely amazing to me how they got that "V-8" to run under one valve cover!
    Other than that, it's an awesome example of poetry in motion.