Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. cruzr

cruzr

Scott.................All your hard work is paying off,I remember the first time you showed me the car, the road to the end is in sight now! Cant wait to see it roll in to Anti-Donut breakfast !!!

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Are we priming and painting now??????????

3. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Ummm no we are waiting on sister his to get off her can and do her thing.:rolleyes: Whoops.:eek:

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, so there's still time to make a good rotisserie setup for the chassis using the spring mounts as attachment points. Virgil has been Googled.

5. -Brent-

-Brent-

Dude, the finish prep is awesome! I love how everything has soft rounded edges. Excellent job. What are you going to do when it's all over and done?

6. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

i wish i had your skills and mostly your motivation. one day lol. keep it up man, your doing a fantastic job! this kind of stuff is what makes us young guys want to keep at it.

7. N8B

N8B

Looking perfect Scott.
    For what its worth I hate that mill scale and take it off of everything I prep with a flap disk or 80 grit.

8. NM3

NM3

Great post - keep the picture coming

9. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Looking good Scooter.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Remember the priming is a trial run for painting, figure out how you'll handle parts when they are wet. Have a place to hang or store every part before you have a gun full of primer. Eye bolts in every leaf of the springs allow you to have sonething to hold on to then hang up on a rack somewere.

11. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Just spend a great weekend at the good guys spring nat in Scottsdale az. lots of HAMB cars

12. 73RR

73RR

huh ??

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not yet, but ready to go! Just need to get paint and primer materials. Then I'll be good to go! Just waiting to buy it all at once so I can lay the black on the suspension parts right after. Still working on the final paint code, but I don't need that for a bit.

Not sure how I'm going to set up the frame for painting yet. I'll figure something out. Going to be a PITA no matter what I do.

Sis! When you come down next, bring me a WP Pulley for that 389 so I can get your alt bracket fingered out...

And YES!! Please check that stuff out for me!! I would appreciate it!!

Thanks man! What will I do?? Start another car, OF COURSE! :D:D The '53 Pontiac is sitting out in the lot ready for some attention!

Thank you very much for the nice words! I'm not getting any younger building this thing, that's for sure! HA! :rolleyes::eek:

Yes! Very true Bob! Have been thinking a lot about how to hang this stuff lately. Yet another PITA.

Thanks again for the words everyone! I'm getting more anxious by the DAY! While I'm waiting on paint supplies I'm working on anything and everything I can. Moved back to the grille shell this weekend. I'll post some more pictures in a bit.

14. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Scott, looking great... Keep it going!!

15. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright, few quick pictures of the small, yet time consuming progress...

Spent a great deal of time peaking my grille shell this weekend. The Vintique shell is a REALLY good quality reproduction and looks really damn close to the stock '32 shell I have sitting in the shop right now, however... Just something about the stop of it that looks too plain. It really needed a peak. So it got one.

I guess I could have just welded something on there or cheated and built it up with filler, but what would I have learned from that. I hammered it in. :D

Here's what I started with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I transfered this line to the back and made a little forming dolly.

[​IMG]

And a peaking tool...

[​IMG]

Hammer time...

[​IMG]

The initial peak is TERRIBLE, but it's a start and the height that I want. The rest of the metal around it will have to be stretched to catch up to the height of the peak. I don't want a really vivid rib, jus a slight change in direction. I like suble lines here, staying with the less is more theory.

[​IMG]

After a lot of stretching work with the dollys, I get myself to this point...

[​IMG]

Still needs a TON more work to be perfect, but a couple more hours of some plannishing and working and it should be a lot better. Again, just going for that subtle change in direction.

Figured I might as well get this ready to go for priming. I can start making the grille insert soon as well. The grille insert will be from scratch. I don't have it in me to pay big bucks for an insert that would still have to be modified to fit and still not have the look that I need.

That's it for now. Wish I had more to share. Soon!! :cool:

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

WOW dude, keep going it's looking great!!!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

17. SteadyT

SteadyT

You're the man. This is great tech bud.

18. Very, very cool.

19. Dude, yer killin' me....this is awesome! You have the vision and the talent to make it happen my friend.

20. -Brent-

-Brent-

Huge improvement on the shell. That'll be one of thsoe things most people miss in passing your car. But knowing it's there, I see how much better it looks.

21. Buy some new gloves......When ya coming by?

22. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

Is it time for new gloves yet?
    I think the HAMB Pre '64 rule only really applies to cars and parts.

Great peak BTW. Great technique.

Jeff

23. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Flat out inspiration...

24. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Very cool. Your fearlessness should inspire all of us.

25. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

To quote Jeff Spicolli,"Whoa! Gnarly!!":D

26. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I thought the same about the gloves... Is that masking tape over the thumb? Dude! $8 bucks at the welding supply for a pair... It really is amazing! I get a new idea every time I read one of your posts. I can wait to see it with the color laid down... then on the the Pontiac, right??
    GREAT JOB!

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BWAHAHAHA!! :D Yes! I need GLOVES... AGAIN!!! I go through more gloves than I ever thought possible. I've tried almost every kind on the market and keep going back to a brand I have to order and I keep forgetting to order them. I've learned one thing though... Masking tape works WONDERS in a pinch and where I never thought possible! After I posted that I KNEW someone would call me out on that. :eek::eek:

The TrueFit are my favorite BY FAR!!

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/truefit/1490/

They are the only ones that stand up for me and remain flexible enough to pick up screws and wear for 14 hours straight. Problem is the mesh on the top gets murdered as soon as a hot sparks gets ahold of it. That's where the tape ends up. Every other glove brand I've tried is either too stiff, fits me weird, comes un-stitched after a week, or just melts as soon as I pick up a hot part. They're also really cheap! Just can't find them on the shelf, for some reason. Always have to order them. If anyone has a suggestion of similar quality, flexibility, etc. that might have something other than a mesh top, that would be awesome. Let me know! Just seems like every pair I get without the mesh is just not flexible enough and my fingers get really tired and cramp while holding a grinder.

Their MIG and TIG gloves rule also!

http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/mig/
    http://jtillman.com/products/gloves/tig/

Seriously guys! Thanks! I'm finishing the chop on the grille as well this weekend. I will do a tech on how I did the whole shubang, with the chop and everything, when I'm done. This has been one hell of a learning experience! Never DREAMED it would take so long to put a simple line in a piece of sheet metal! :eek::eek: Hopefully the next time I do something like this it will go much faster! JEESH!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  28. Man i love the lil change you made to that 32 shell keep up the great work !!!

29. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Scott - Just looked thru this thread again and reflected on the paint color. Haven't gotten up w/ Hans yet about the color, but I realized that the blue you seek may be the same as the 1966 Porsche 911S (European model) I had in Germany when I was in the service. Unfortunately, I rolled that sucker before I rotated back Stateside. A good paint store might be able to find that code for you, I only remember it as a blue close to what you're seeking. vic

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm being really TERRIBLE about this paint. Because I've been staring at it for so long I'm making myself crazy. HA! Actually, I'm sort of reverting back to the color of that '63 Volvo that I mentioned earlier. I started looking at lot of Aetna Blue german cars and found them to be quite a bit lighter than they first appeared. I just want more of an all-business feel to the car and I was afraid the lighter blue-gray was almost a little too... well... not evil enough? :D

Long ways away from final paint anyway. Had to stop thinking about it so much. Would be sent to the looney bin before ever getting it on the road if I kept thinking about it. :rolleyes: