Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

2. racer5c

racer5c

3. Mel Blanc

Mel Blanc
    from New Jersey

I have a friend that has a few old parts from days gone by.Can anyone tell me what a Hewland transaxle is worth? also a new offenhouser short block with pistons.
    How about a quad cam ford motor?

4. noboD

noboD

After the 70's Indy cars got boring so I'd like to see your pics too. The '60's and '70's cars had style!!

5. Buildy

Buildy

So true,after that all the cars were the same.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Rabs, if you set up a thread on the HAMB I'll be a regular and I'll try to post some of my own.

7. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found these while uploading shots of early Indycar and Nascar from my dad and Uncles collections,from Langhorne, all stuck in a couple of envelopes,Have no clue as to what year it's from.....Rich

Attached Files:

8. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I don't know if it helps .. but Ken Brenn bought the upright in the first picture from John Pfrommer in 1965.

9. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

I'd subscribe to it as well.

10. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

The Super Midget Racing Club's (SMRC) initial season was 1973. I was a Director in both 1973 & 1974. I have no memory or record of Harry Benjamin running either year .. although he may well have run with them in later years.

A Small Block Chevy (SBC) would NOT have fit into the SMRC's rules .. which (put simply) were ... 'any normally aspirated engine that fit within (read inside of) the 18" confines of a standard midget chassis'.

Since a SBC is wider than that, it would not have been allowed.

In 1975 or a later year(s) he may well have run a car with one of those aluminum Buick (or an aluminum Old's) engines that you referred to & someone possibly honestly mistook it for a SBC?

Bobby Albert won the SMRC Championship in 1974, driving his own aluminum Buick V8 powered Kurtis. Those little V8 engines DID run well !!!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

So the VW/Porsche's weren't allowed?:confused:

12. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Rabs32 and Ken Shou,
    I believe the Langhorne photos are 1966. The#4 Leader Card car was all white for only one year.
    Harry bought an Edmunds midget in 1975 after sucessfully driving for Mike Sheehan. He won the opener at the Grove in 1976 and continued to do well. When he blew the Sesco while leading the live telecast Reading USAC show and continued having trouble with it. Sometime in the late 70s, he put a 377ci small block in a "shortened sprint car". He was allowed to compete at the open shows at Flemington and you could be right about the SMRC rules, I will ask Midge.

13. Buildy

Buildy

Looks like the Second Langhorne race in 1966. AJ Foyt withdrew,did not start. Branson was 5th in the #4 dirt car.

The photo of the Brenn #57 is 1968.

Rollie Beale and Bill Puterbaugh drove it in 1968 at Langhorne.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  14. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

What car is AJ driving? I like the paint!

15. Buildy

Buildy

That is his Meskowski Dirt car. In 1967 he had it painted similar but with #14

Dean Jeffries did the paint IIRC.

1968 he went to the Coyote Red( Ford Poppy Red)

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

His 'old faithful' the S/T spl.

Attached Files:

17. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Never saw it that close. I really like the way the blue was faded on that #2.

18. weathrmn

weathrmn

I raced with SMRC from 79-81. I remember Harry Benjamin's midget. He told me he had an old sprint frame, he cut it down to a midget. He used a Sesco Chevy.

Harry ran a grudge race with a sprint car at Flemington, Harry won, never let off.

Harry went thru the 2nd turn fence, knocked it out and him too. Harry wasn't the same after that.

19. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

While mopping up the cellar today,came across some more super 8 home movies including this race,plus early 60's non cage stuff from Reading, allentown, and flemington.All this rain sucks but preventive moves brought out some more treasures, now just got to convert to dvd....Rich

20. Buildy

Buildy

Keep em safe Rich!

Water is a killer.

21. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Been there,Done that back in '84.Learned from that one!, lost some negatives,and all the results and info from the early days, now back to the soggy cellar for another episode of As the Water Rises....Rich

22. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

37 car at Reading '71 IIRC not sure who is in car.

Attached Files:

23. Sprintmik

Sprintmik

Tampa pits '71 Gino Swartout
    Lil 5 pits '71 Hal Wilson, I think Buz Gregory drove this car later in the season.

Attached Files:

24. Buildy

Buildy

Nice stuff-I like that one of Hal Wilson.

25. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Ken in 1980 Bucky Cort put a small block chevy 283 I believe; I know I drove it, then in '81 or '82 Harry put his URC motor in his midget it was fast he won a race or two and I believe that was also the car that he flipped really bad at Flemington and sidelined him for nearly a year upon coming back he had the violent flip that ended his career.

26. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

Ken here is a shot of me in the car at Flemington. Car was built by John Draucker, he was killed before he completed it.

Attached Files:

27. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi sprintmik,
    Could that be Johnny Hubbard in Chariots #37? Also, the Hal Wilson car looks like a Weinberger Homes car. Look forward to seeing more photos!

28. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Kinda looks like a Sprint Car tail on a midget/

29. Buildy

Buildy

Wynn`s,

At one of the 1971 reading races, Gary B got into the #37 after the cammer broke.

I can`t remember who was driving the #37, wasn`t Hubbard that day I don`t think,but when Gary B got in it the car started flat moving.
    Then it overheated or blew up, and the game was over.

That`s what I remember of it although Ron Kramer told me he had a different take on it.
    I was about 12-13 at the time so who knows?

Why does the name Gordy Lee keep popping into my head? Probably no reason-LOL

30. Buildy

Buildy

Spike it sure looks like a sprint tail to me too, and with that big V-8 it probably sucked down fuel like no tomorrow.
    I`ve heard of stretched Midgets,of course, but never Shortened sprint cars before seeing this one.