Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help identifying this roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by calvinh, Mar 13, 2010.

1. calvinh

calvinh

I went to see a guy who I hadn't seen in a while today and forgot how much cool stuff he had at his place. He has a 50' Ford that he has been building for about the last 15 years. This roadster caught my eye and I wanted to see if anyone could help identify the year and make. And how hard would is it to find doors, decklid, etc? Would it be worth building?Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

28-29 Ford coupe.

3. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

the cowl looks 28/29 model a but I don't think it is a roadster because of the windshield. Maybe sport coupe ?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  4. calvinh

calvinh

I thought sport coupe also but I thought they had a "B" pillar?

5. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

No B pillar just full height doors

6. 562roadster

562roadster

28-29 sport coupe

7. I would have to say that is a 1929 Model "A" cabriolet. They are pretty rare actual they are model "68-A"

I would quickly and quietly snag that one.

8. calvinh

calvinh

Is the post behind the doors not part of the body on this sport coupe?[​IMG]

9. calvinh

calvinh

Seeing the condition what would you say is a fair price? Keeping on mind this is a friend.

10. Before I jumped on it I would be investigating doors for it. If it has pillar-less doors (rosdater type, but roll up windows) it would be the Cabriolet. But if it has full length doors, it would be a Sport Coupe (model 50-A). Huge difference in prices.

11. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

look like i was mistaken it might be part of the top structure left on but the few sport coupe bodies Ive seen with out the top haven't had that

12. calvinh

calvinh

One way or another I think it's coming home with me tomorrow. The doors and other missing body parts scares me though.

13. I would also look the header panel over very closely. If you see top latches to secure a convertible top, that would be a very very good sign.

14. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

looks like the doors are in it

15. calvinh

calvinh

The doors on the one in the picture have a diferent body line than the quarters. Are they all like that?

16. calvinh

calvinh

There is holes there like there might have been latches.

17. There are some pretty good detail pictures on this website of a 29 cab that was restored:

http://www.strever.com/jag/shop/model-A/1929_Ford_Model_A_Cabriolet.html

You can see that the B pillar is hinged to the body and is actually part of the convertible roof. Also you can see that the door have an "A" pillar only.

Good luck with it, Wish I knew where it was.

18. Finding door for this will be a pricey proposition, but well worth it. Worse case scenario, buy a roadster cowl and doors, build youself a nice little roadster. They shared the same rear quarters.

19. calvinh

calvinh

The header panels look pretty identical. So let's say for the sake of discussion that it is a Cabriolet, what is a fair offer? I will also buy a flathead and other pieces and parts from him also.

20. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

The quarters on roadsters are different, and once again it looks like the doors are laying in it

21. calvinh

calvinh

I almost wonder if it wouldn't be wise to trade or sell it to someone who is interested in it for what it is(if it is) for a coupe which is what I really want.

22. calvinh

calvinh

The doors go to something else.

23. First of does he know what it is? If he thinks it is a sport coupe the market is very soft for them. If he thinks it is a roadster, you know where the market is for them.

I know that I wouldn't be putting much more than 2000 out for it knowing that there are a lot missing hard to find parts.

24. Again,

I would look it over very carefully before I bought assuming it was a Cabriolet. Model A restorers would most likely flock to you, if you were to resell it.

25. calvinh

calvinh

He thought it was a Dodge. So no, he doesn't. I actually stopped to see if he would part with a 49' 4 door and started talking to him about some of the others. He's getting up in age and really doesn't seem interested in messing with any of it anymore. I would like to offer him a price on the whole yard but wouldn't even know where to begin.

26. I am sitting here looking at the pictures again, Something isn't quite right. The rear wheel wells are definitely model A, the A pillar on the cowl is 28-29 model "A". the firewall doesn't seem right. Also look at the windshield angle. The A is more vertical while the ones you posted are leaning back. Also the true "A" cabriolet has a 30-31 type cowl while the pics you posted have the 28-29 type cowl sides. I am confused!!!!!

Looks like the sub-rails are bent and the whole cowl section is leaning back. Hard to tell from pics.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  27. Looking like it is a Sport Coupe because of the cowl sides!

28. calvinh

calvinh

That's what I'm seeing also. Bummer!!! But on that note I won't feel bad about chopping it up a little!

29. titus

titus

you do have a 28/9 ford sports coupe, the cowl is correct for that model and so are the quarters, the door are fairly easy to find, considering that coupe sports coupe and tudor all take the same door for a fact, ive had 2 sports coupes 4 sedans and 2 coupes and about 10 doors too.

sport coupe and coupe quarters are the same, coupe roofs just bolt on to the lip where the wood of a sport coupe bolts, the b pillars are the same on both (looks like yours are gone) and the sport coupe has a little filler panel that attatches to the b pillar and get painted body color.

heres a sports coupe turned roadster ie coupester

JEFF

Attached Files:

30. calvinh

calvinh

Thank you for the help. I've decided to go ahead and get the car along with a later model flathead and some other odds and ends. We came up with a deal that doesn't involve much spend on my part and and he will get some much needed work done around his place. Hopefully I'll be ale to go pick everything up over the next few days. I have never really messed with anything older than 1940 so I'm going to have a bunch of questions as I move forward with this.