Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rupp Dart Kart

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Pretty good question, I may ride it a little, then turn it into gagage art. I just had both motors running on it in the shop, sounds cool

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

next is the vw bug zinger clone, I am going to pick up the motor and rear end for it tomorrow

3. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Short Story; summer 1960,,the Sat nite before the Midwest Nat'l's in Tama ,Iowa ,,( i lived in Marshalltown,,20 miles from the track ) ,,i was
    tunin' the kart in my folks' garage ,,up on stands
    w' the motor screamin' ,,my dad came outa the house
    n asked how it was going ,,the very first time he ever took
    an interest in my go kart racin' ,i told him i was just gettin' ready for the race ,,he asked if he could sit in it ,,then asked how fast it went ,,then asked if he could drive it ,,so ,,i showed him where the gas n brake was ,,,and pushed him off ,,those twin 580's fired up ,,and away he went ,,around and around and around the block he went ,,wide open ,,it was after 10;00 pm ,,all the neighbors lites came on ,,and i could hear the sirens gettin' closer ,,i flaged him down ,,got him back in the garage and slammed the door down ,just as the cops came cruzin' by ,,lites a flashin',,the cops never fingered out who it was ,,,lol,,lol,lol,,,

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I know a guy working on building one of these, think he is in the process of trying to find 2 of the correct engines..

very sweet set up
    Donut29..is that the cart you were talking about?
    did you find the wheel you were looking for?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  5. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Here's some of mine- Dart Grand Prix with McCulloch 91A, Bug Wasp with twin McCulloch 101's, Go Kart 1200 with McCulloch Mc-8, and a Hornet Enduro Kart. If anyone is interested, just Google "Vintage Karts" for more info. By the way, its Kart, not Cart-

Attached Files:

6. It was looking good mocked up when I saw it. Picking stuff up from the platers? I'm not sure I have the patience to ever get one of mine nice and shiney like yours.

7. 50shoe

50shoe

looks REAL nice! would look great in the back of a old pick-up or elky.

hope mine comes out 1/2 that nice. I'm finishing the floor pan this weekend hopefully.

8. It's all fun and games until somebody get's hurt...

9. Crafty B

Crafty B

nice work!!!!

10. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice but how are you going to explain to the little woman in your life the giant "hickeys" on the back of your arms from getting sucked into those carbs. :rolleyes:

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Absolutely STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the 1 you saw is done, it is a dune buggy. I am doing the bug next
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

Great job onthe kart. Years ago my son and I built an Azuza. It was a fun father and son project and he rode it for years. Shouldn't have sold it but it took up too much room in the shed.

14. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

CooooooooooooL...................Rich

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

you mean this one?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Seeing those West Bends brings back a few memories. When we built mini bikes as kids, all we could afford were the Clinton A400's (Master Mechaniic Mfg, $29.95) Every one threw a rod.
    After a few years we were able to step up to a West Bend. What a difference!
    Beautiful kart, Mark.

17. Man !! When I asked you that question yesterday I had no idea it would get answered like this !!! >>>>.

18. axe grinder

axe grinder

[​IMG]Yep, That sure brings back some memories alright.
    Nice work, almost too pretty to race!.
    Me and my lil. brother raced back in the 60's.

19. axe grinder

axe grinder

^^^^^^^^^^^ can anyone enlarge the pic.?^^^^^^^^^^^^

20. Duh, Gotcha Mark. I'm just a little slow... just ask anyone who knows me. I'm gonna have to dig out the Hot Rod that has the article on them. Can't remember the Bug very well. Didn't you say you owned the dragster once? If only I could justify it, I'd be right behind you building one of these.

21. Paul B

Paul B

I had a kaballa back in 62 ran twin MC 11 s . didnt have any tracks around here to run on. I would make a couple of passes down the street. Drunk across the street would call the cops on me , but they never caught me . i would get back to my house and put it away before they showed up.:D

22. Will that Rupp be at GSTA?

23. Butch/1

Butch/1
    from Dublin ,Va

Rupp is still in business in Bennetsville S.C.

24. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Here are some of my vintage karts through the last few years...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

25. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

Mark that this is too frikin cool, I was a kid in the twin cities ya always wanted a dart cart at ANDY CHEEDAS, I think that,s how it was spelled that were the fastest ones cool cart!!!!

26. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

holy crap that is killer!! I have the exact frame, so mine must be a Rupp too, that i am working on for my son. Needs a lot of work, and I have an older 3HP tecumseh for it, but those vintage chainsaw motors look awesome... Is there any sources for parts out there on these vintage karts? What are you running for the fuel tank, wheels, and rear axle?

Awesome job!
    Matt

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

28. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Genuine Rupp Dart Kart parts are available from Robron, Inc. Robert Stanton is the owner,he acquired all the original tooling from Rupp when they got out of karting. Contact info is (800) 624-7383, or E Mail [email protected]. By the way,Mickey Rupp is alive and well in Florida, I believe.

29. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Thats so cool, sent a shiver down my spine... really.

30. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You did a great job. That kart is beautiful. Your kart looks a lot like the Fox kart I had as a kid (and still own). I ran a West Bend 610. Still have the dual carb manifolds, Tillotson carbs, fitted seat and the same fuel tank.