Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need some schooling on the Rolling Bones Hot Rod Chassie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by continentaljohn, Feb 10, 2008.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

It seems like everytime I see one of there cars its perfect :D What a great stance and such clean lines.
    So what's the front end ? spring in back of the crossmember off the Bones ? How about the rear ? Sweep? DEEP C-notch? any pictures?
    I did do a quick search and didn't find too much info also went to the sweb site and still looking for info:D.
    thanks john

2. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It's all TOP secret. If you search through 3wlarrys posts you'll find his chassis pics. Here's one of Dennis Varni's sedan..

[​IMG]

3. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I agree, their cars look & sit right. I am far from an expert on what they do, but the above picture is a good one. These are my casual observations of some of their cars. They do mount the spring crossmember slightly behind the axle, and mount the spring to the bones. Kind of a fake suicide front end, you get the benefit of a lower stance with the spring behind the axle, but the look of a normal spring over the front end setup since the grille & radiator are still over the front axle. And the wheelbase is only lengthened a little bit by doing this, so proportions are still great

And they also pinch the front rails in, and use no front frame horns. The pinching makes it fit the width of the grille shell and looks great without the horns. This would also allow the hood sides to follow the frame rails forward to the grille. Those guys must have a barrel full of 32' front horns:D

Larry's threads have some great pics that should help lots

Dan

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thank You! thats just what I was needing:D anything on the rear??

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

John,

The rear end shots are on their web iste.

If theyve been removed, I have saved them - for the elusive 32 project I want to build ;)'

I can send ém to you.

7. jc555247

jc555247

Reguarding the rear end pics that you saved could you send them to me. on the HAMB here? I forgot my email pass word.

Thanks and how is that global warming working for you guys. Florida USA is having snow and the coldest winter on record.

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Here are some rear end shots, and some further front end pictures

Attached Files:

9. slepe67

slepe67

Just read this thread while searching. Here's some reading material on HOW TO:
    Go buy these magazines, or go to streetrodderweb.com and type in ROLLING BONES

or, as I just discovered, they've been under my nose all along, just never read the damn things!!!!!!!!!!!! (Listed below in no particular order)

January 2009 Street Rodder, p. 170 "Building An Old-Time Hot Rod Frame"
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0901sr_rolling_bones_hot_rod_shop_frame/index.html

February 2009 Street Rodder, p. 182 "Bringin' Up The Rear" (and steering HOW TO in this issue--good stuff for newbs like me)
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0902sr_building_hot_rod_rear_suspension/index.html

March 2009 Street Rodder, p. 116 "It What's Up Front That Counts"
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0903sr_hot_rod_frontend/index.html

April 2010 Street Rodder, p. 144 "Taking Turns"

THE ROADSTER
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/features/0710sr_1932_ford_highboy_roadster/index.html

3W CHOP:
    http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/0712sr_chopping_the_top_on_a_deuce_five_window/index.html

Very good inputs on the rear shock-arm length
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427181&highlight=doane+roadster&page=2

I'm sure there is more out there, but these are great places to start, and I learned a lot just by reading how they did it.

Let's give thanks to Doane Spencer, who ORIGINALLY developed the front end set-up these guys kind of got credit for!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  10. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

As far as I know the earliest frontend set up in this way was Doane Spencer's roadster. There are more than a few pictures here on the HAMB, that is a GREAT car the study. He was way ahead of his time as far as inovation and attention to detail!

Bam.inc likes this.
  11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

A guy named D. Spencer

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

As mentioned earlier, Street Rodder has extensive coverage and photos. Their work is spectacular.

13. slepe67

slepe67

Can't believe I even had to ASK! Yes, the SEARCH function is awesome...:rolleyes:

14. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

What do they use for the long shock arms?

15. slepe67

slepe67

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  16. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Move the front cross member back 1" and the rear 1/2 :D:D:D

17. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I seem to recall they used two regular shock arms welded together.

18. SRM article showed arms welded.

19. slepe67

slepe67

FYI weblinks updated

20. pompadour

pompadour

I heard they run like 10 degrees of caster in the front end...Is that correct or close? Any one?