Register now to get rid of these ads!

BSA Pinewood Derby Car Builds....Slightly OT but it is RACING

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pontiacres Ranch, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Post Office Scale says 5.0 oz Exactly.....better take a bit off the bottom just to be sure.

2. We had one dad who would show up with ornate cars, made into locomotives, etc. Plop it on the scale. 9 ounces! I was doing the weigh in that year. He'd be on the sidelines with the cordless drill making it into swiss cheese.

Bob

3. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

Here is ours it started out as a salt flats Stream-liner but ended up as a C-cab.

Attached Files:

4. bobjob55

bobjob55

WOW !!! they have come a long way since the early 60's when i built them ....

5. that was my council also Pack 288 also made many cars..i have a few laying around still..somewhere.. did my nephews bc/cc finish on his car a few years back

6. pjbjr413

pjbjr413

I remember building pinewood derby cars with my dad, I was lucky enough to win my age group as a Tiger Cub and a Wolf. I'm going to have to talk to my mom, she throws nothing away, so I'm sure she still has mine. The designs are a lot wilder looking than the ones I built so I'm taking notes so that next year when my nephew starts Cub Scouts we can built him a cool first hot rod. Also very good seeing the boys with a major hand in building them, because that's truely what it's all about.

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

I never had the desire to join the Scouts, but I always wanted to build a Pinewood Derby car.

Neat stuff in this thread!

8. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

I came home and took some more off the bottom, hoping the Post Office scale is to the heavy side compared to the Official scale at the race. If not, Im planning to bring the Die Grinder and the Aggressive bit with a Portable Air Tank. If Logan has to Carve out the Bottom some more....Well be able to. Then they can see him workin on his car too...Im helping him, but Im try ing to let him do as much as he can do on it also.

9. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Got the stripes laid out & painted last night. Logan's adding a few speed decals and the number 18. 2 nice coats of pearl clear tonight, and we paint the cockpit. Pics later....Thanks for all the comments everyone. It really keeps him Going on the project. We've enjoyed this hour or so a night working on this.

10. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

More Pics as promised, 2 days worth.....Stripe, Pinstripes, & Decals....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We're at 4.9 oz.....tonight we put on the wheels, glue in the driver, and add the Powdered Graphite. Well be ready to Race in the AM!

11. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

It's Done! Jack Moss & the Barons Racing Team would be Proud! Pics to follow.

12. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Today's Progress....We glued in the Driver, Roll Bar, and Windshield. Added the Wheels, Engines, a removable weight & Lubed the Axles. We're Ready to roll.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow is the BIG RACE! Wish Logan Luck!

13. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

14. Too cool! Me and my son are doing that today as well. :)

15. SHRUM

SHRUM

16. catbox

catbox

our race is next month. boy do i have some new ideas to go on. Max wanted a shark car soit is what i have cut out for him. he has sanded it and will do all of the painting and final assembly.

i need to clean my shop so i can get to work on my car with my new ideas....

17. bigolds

bigolds

Cool thread and great pics of a budding hot rodder.......you are probably racing as I post this Logan.....so I hope the race turned out well for you,either way the car turned out super cool!!!! WAY TA GO !!!!!

18. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I built these for an "adult" event about 20 years ago. The red one was built by the BSA book; the other was for an open class.

Ed, your car looks great!

Attached Files:

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,Great work Logan ,,looks "Super" ,,hope you WIN!! and surely you'll get "Best Appearing Car" ,!!!

20. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Well....The problems with the axle installs kept us fro being the big winners, bur we had ALOT of fun! 1st round we came in 3rd, it was Double Elimination, so we went to the losers bracket. We lasted another 4 rounds there. I reentered my 1976/77 car in the sibling race, but same as 76/77 got my but kicked. Logan did get 1st place for design, and somehow, I got 3rd place for design......Ill get some pics up later. Next year we'll pre drill Pilot holes & install the axles for a test fit for true.Logan and I thank everyone for the cheering on.

21. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

heres a couple cars i did way back when, when i was still in the scouts

Attached Files:

22. sensor

sensor

my son just ran ours today and did great(1st in den and 2nd in pack much to my surprise:eek:)
    [​IMG]

23. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Good Morning, HAMBers...
    Here is another chance to race your cars out here in Eastern New Mexico. We are holding an adult Pinewood Derby at Bender Chevrolet in Clovis. See attached .doc file... All a fundraiser for Scouting here... Thanks, duane (NM Sandrail)

Unable to attach registration form as it exceeds allowed size... But if in Western Texas or Eastern NM and interested, please email and I will send the form with details directly to you. GO SCOUTING!

Duane Koss
    ELG District Camping Chrm.
    Fort Sumner, New Mexico
    Conquistador Council, BSA (Roswell)
    [email protected]

24. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

We need a HAMB derby where we can mail our cars in for a competition.

25. Vintagesupermods

Vintagesupermods

From 1985ish

Attached Files:

26. t-rod

t-rod

My son is currently enamored with '57 Chevies, so for his first ever race he wanted to make his car like his favorite Hot Wheel. I cut it out, he sanded and painted it. He placed third and was voted best design.

Attached Files:

27. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Congrats T-Rod! We won best design too...

Already planning next years car.....Might even build our own 2 lane track.....

Great for parties or practice

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

29. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

Wow! When I was in the scouts....my grandfather always helped me build them. And combining his carpentry skills, plus his automotive expertise....our cars were always the favorite! The first year, we done what was pictured on the box. Then the next year, it was a 1950's indy type car. The third year was a f-1 type car I think. And the last year I was in the derby, he designed an elaborate Daytona Prototype/24 hrs of Daytona car. That was my favorite.

I think I know where they're at. Tomorrow when I get home from school, I'll try and find em'

-Cody