Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of going with a red-oxide...any thoughts/pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyingbohemian, Mar 2, 2010.

1. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

flyingbohemian; Only my opinion, of course, but all of this talk about having a truck that impresses other people is bullshit.
    The bottom line(of course!) is what turns YOU on each day as YOU go out to YOUR work truck to make that drive down to the business.

Red Oxide(lead) primer is not brown. It's red. It tends to stain and not stay uniform, giving that 'rough around the edges' unfinished look that is attractive to all sorts of beer drinkers, the yuppies, old farts, bikers, college students, etc, and generally, the public that simply appreciates the idea that a guy that drives an old truck is somehow a reflection of practicality. Even horny ladies, when they are out and about, you know, the ones that don't whine when they get their hair messed up or don't worry about getting their lilly whites stained; it turns them on.............

When you show up at the bank looking for financing you might consider the options; I would wear jogging duds and ride a bicycle. Sip from a water bottle during the interview. Promote the idea that brewing is a good business, the business plan would go to great lengths to impress that it's right to save the environment, and that beer is biodegradable! The bean counters will eat that up;
    but, I would drive a truck to work that turns ME on.:cool:

2. i like red primer, but the truck looks pretty decent as is with wear and dings

3. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Just another idea... Since your truck is an IH... The early FarmAlls were a grey color, like battle ship grey kind of... just search FarmAll grey..... A flat or semi gloss version of that would be cool..

4. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Couldn't have said it better myself! Cheers!

Attn: Left Turn: Thanks for the advice, I will look into it.

5. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

here it is [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. yngrodder

yngrodder

I put my sedan in R/O so it would be one color it looked good at first but like they said it fades and stains, I will continue having my car in primer while I work on it but It will be painted in the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 57FORD

57FORD

well if you take the badges off and use scotch bright to take some of the gloss out you might be able to get by without priming it. :)

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Red Oxide is my favorite color, but I gotta agree, Keep the paint you have, change the wheels and have a good sign painter do up your doors.

- Joe

9. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

I like Primer as much as the next guy.............but it looks good as it is!

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

"It doesn't have to be perfect. It can be whatever it is."
    From the movie ANGEL EYES.​

Casual hot rods are cool. __________________
    Ryan Cochran (Notes from the road)
    "Skating the same line since 1976..."

11. ngafreeride

ngafreeride
    BANNED
    from Georgia

gloss black with white lettering. or a two tone white/black and red lettering. and factory wheels. just somethin simple and not ratty. my .02

12. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

so whats the decision gonna be bud?

13. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I have to agree with keeping the current paint. Depending on how old & what type paint was used, it may have a nice effect if it's wet sanded with a super-fine grit.

I personally like the old factory solid colors. VW in the mid to late 50's had some beautiful greys, greens, & dark blues that would look perfect on your pickup - if you ever decide to go that route.

Here's a link for vintage paint chips. Be warned, you will spend hours looking thru the catalog:

http://pc.dupont.com/hcl/?locale=en_US

14. BEER, did someone say beer?
    [​IMG]

15. twin city knight

twin city knight

ha, I was going to bring you the two mags that have this car in them.

and i'd say that gm brown that everything that was new in the 70's and 80's came with. I've always liked that suede look from a metallic paint with a semi gloss clear. black steelies and beauty rings and get the back end of your truck down to get rid of the pro street suspension rake.

-pete

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

17. You do know there is already a PIKE BREWING CO. right?

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Primer and paint are pretty much the same price, the work to mask is the same - paint or primer. Paint it if you want a change. Even a so so paint job is better than deciding to run primer.

As for fake patina....G A Y!

19. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

That pic you sent me didnt load up, was it your avatar? As for my decision, I'm pretty sold on the matte root beer brown look w/cream wheels and interior. I am still on the fence about painting our logo though. I need to spend some more time working with sign paint, as an artist I refuse to hire someone else to do it.

also, hitchhiker, I am aware of pike brew, we are PIKEY, its a 2 definition word:
    1: itinerant traveller aka gypsy
    2: fishing lure

I like both definitions. also, were far from seattle, and if the problem ever arises where our 2 beers meet...well its a good problem to have as that means were growing fast and getting good distributers....we cant even get pike here in MN, due to competitors not allowing the distribution nationwide. I have heard that its a great brewery, I'd love to try it sometime.

20. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Right on, swing by the shop this week with the mags if ya get a chance, I'd love to discuss it more. I spoke to Roxy, sounds like shes pretty much ready to get goin on the bench, which means I need to find one ASAP. Any thoughts?

21. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

awesome. home brewed?

22. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

Thanks for the link! I have thought about just sanding down the current paint, but that doesn't solve the issue with all the damn holes drilled in for waaaay too many accessories and badges. There is also a pretty brutal scratch on the front fender that just smiles at me every time I look at my truck. I am gonna bring it back down to the metal, and am scared to see whats underneath. Then thinkin a nice suede brown or root beer brown will look mighty fine on this truck.

thanks everyone for the feedback! this is no longer an issue with re-oxide, but now lookin for advice on beginning this project...i.e: sandpaper, paint suppliers, techniques etc.

23. Payaso

Payaso

Exactly...Do what you like...

My '06 Bonnie had a perfect stock paint job...but it was STOCK. All my buddies thought I was crazy...I stripped'er down...and 4 cans later, and almost 30,000 miles later...still holding up Great, and it'll never get lost in a parking lot of "Gloss Queens"...

[​IMG]

No matter what...Have fun with it!!

24. flyingbohemian

flyingbohemian

I'd be very proud to roll down the street on that bike. It should be an output of someone's personality, and we're not all perfect.

25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

rofl,,

26. Mc Restore 1

Mc Restore 1

Hey fuel pump, would love to have some info on the omni single stage paint you used, do you have paint number?, that is one sweet ride you have there! Thanks for any help

27. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it painted yet?

Budget36 likes this.
  28. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

better red than dead....

29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAMN IT...got sucked into ANOTHER 12 year old thread:mad:

30. Budget36

Budget36

And how many of the old posts did you “like”? ;)
    I turned my phone sideways to check the date, jumped to the last page and waded through. I did have to go back page one though.
    (I prefer the truck how it was)

Hi Jack!

hotrodjack33 likes this.