Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did my 55 chevy come from?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55Chevy78, Mar 7, 2010.

1. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

Hi guys, this is a huge longshot because I dont have that much info on my car but if I can I would like to track down some history on it. A couple of months ago I bought a 55 chevy 210 from a "wheeler dealer" named Jimmy from Texas. He buys classics and hot rods just to sell and sometimes fix up from what I gather and he bought this car from Arkansa. He didnt seem to know alot about it he had just said it had been a old drag car for many years. It is a full on project so theres nothing I can describe that you would have had done to it besides it has a 59 olds rear end with 4.56 gears w/spool and ANY extra metal on the car had been cut out and pretty crudely in my opinion, it also came with slotted ansens and the backs are 15x10. It has fiberglass flip front but Jimmy put that on and I dont know what it had beforeSo... yes it is a bad description of the car but its all I have so if you are from Arkansa and sold a 55 chevy to a guy named Jimmy from Texas in the last year give or take I would like to know some history and even better yet see some pics of it in its prime. thanks, Jay

Attached Files:

2. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

O yeah! the body seems to be pretty rust free but has alot of body filler but the floors were pretty rotted and had no trunk pan.

3. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I don't know a thing, but it looks like a pretty cool start.

4. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

thankyou, ya I am excited about it

5. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Any chance that Jimmy had pictures of the car from when he bought it, before he started working on it? Or any pics of it while he was working on it? Those pics might be more helpful...just saying.

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I think it came from GM originally...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

R-

7. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

I could check but I'm pretty sure he sent me everything he had.

"I think it came from GM originally...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"

you may be on to something

8. Butch M

Butch M

look's like good one. love them 55's

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

10. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

Thanks guys I appreciate the good feedback

11. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Is the serial number tag still attached to the cowl?

12. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Belive it or not back in the day they made them in a place called Detroit. Rumor is you could go into a "dealer" and order one any way ya wanted it. Wacky

13. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

Still nothing?

14. Tcoupe

Tcoupe

Wow...believe it or not a friend of mine sold that car to a guy in Texas (presumably Jimmy). My friend traded an El Camino for the car...the guy he traded with said he bought the 55 out of Louisiana. I know it has a s-10 front clip, the door and window structure was cut out with a torch and then tacked back in, my buddy started welding in a firewall and floor from a sheet metal kit that was included in the trade. I think the PO before my buddy might know a little about the history of the car...I will try to get you some more info if I can.

BTW...that is exactly how the car looked when my buddy sold it fiberglass clip and all...so it doesn't look like "Jimmy" did anything different to the car....not that it matters though.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  15. oldschoolchopin

oldschoolchopin

Hay man that's my car ! looks just like it did when i sold it to that asshole from Texas a few months ago ,I do know that it came from LA. the guy i got it from had bought it on ebay,it had a straight axle under it with buggy spring and spindle mount wheels ,which is still here local ,sub and all .he subed it with a s-10 frontend and rebuilt the bigblock thats in it,did a bunch of bodywork one it ,bought the dash on ebay,the car had aluminum interior in it when he got it (he still has all of that)the car was pretty much a hull (cut for dragging)gave the Plexiglas windows to the asshole from Texas, all i did to the car was put the motor and tranny in the car and started putting the interior sheet metal in it ,and filled the inside of the car up with all the extra parts i had for it . glad it went to a good home hope this has been helpful,i will check with the guy i got it from i know he has pictures of it from the time he bought it until i got it . Hope Asshole didn't screw ya to bad ,if you hadn't picked up on it i didn't like him and almost didn't let him have the car ! anyway good luck and happy chop-in

16. oldschoolchopin

oldschoolchopin

Hay man that's my car ! looks just like it did when i sold it to that asshole from Texas a few months ago ,I do know that it came from LA. the guy i got it from had bought it on ebay,it had a straight axle under it with buggy spring and spindle mount wheels ,which is still here local ,sub and all .he subed it with a s-10 frontend and rebuilt the bigblock thats in it,did a bunch of bodywork one it ,bought the dash on ebay,the car had aluminum interior in it when he got it (he still has all of that)the car was pretty much a hull (cut for dragging)gave the Plexiglas windows to the asshole from Texas, all i did to the car was put the motor and tranny in the car and started putting the interior sheet metal in it ,and filled the inside of the car up with all the extra parts i had for it . glad it went to a good home hope this has been helpful,i will check with the guy i got it from i know he has pictures of it from the time he bought it until i got it . Hope Asshole didn't screw ya to bad ,if you hadn't picked up on it i didn't like him and almost didn't let him have the car ! anyway good luck and happy chop-in

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Man its a small world .I had a dealing with that "Asshole" from Texas that you sold your 55 to a few years back ,and the same one that this guy bought it from apparently.I saw that 55 on Craigslist in Dallas a short time ago.I was really considering buying it myself until i realised who was selling it after speaking with him on the phone.Great looking 55 ,just gun shy of the guy that was selling it ...

18. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

Thankyou, yep this is the one, from what I gathered how he explained it is that he did all the work and bought the motor for it and put it in! I thought it was a little strange to buy a car do that work then sell it right away.:rolleyes:

Hey thanks glad to hear from you, ya he really didnt have alot of info on it but I figured either way when your buying a car this stripped you kinda know what your paying for and I was happy with the price either way. Some pictures would be great, I just figured a car like this probably has some pretty exciting history and I would just like to know a little bit about its roots.thanks for replying hope to hear back.

19. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

Also can you tell me anything about the motor? All I know is that it has the LS-5 heads because I looked that up off the VIN and all jimmy supposedly knew is that its bored .30 over and has TRW 10:1 forged pistons.

20. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

bump to see if any new info comes up I had a good start.

21. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

I'll send this to the top of the list once more I want old pics. I just love thinking of what this car once was.

22. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

Dang, Why does everybody seem to Know Jimmy? what part of Texas is he in?

23. 55Chevy78

55Chevy78
    from Minnesota

haha he says he buys and sells like crazy but hes from Saginaw