Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dad's rides in the late 40s...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rrbrucea, Mar 8, 2010.

1. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

I promised in my intro that I'd post these when I found them again...

The first is my dad and his first car, a '39 Willys coupe. And fitting it with fender skirts? How many Willys coupes do you see with skirts now? :D Dad said this car was a total dog with it's stock 4 cylinder, but I'd sure love to have it now! It wouldn't be a 4 cylinder any longer!

[​IMG]

Next is dad's '34 Ford convertible coupe... this was green metallic and he LOVED this car. Mom has great memories of it too, cuz she said the heater SUCKED in those cold Iowa winters so there was plenty of excuse for snugglin' up...

[​IMG]

And finally, dad on 2 wheels. He was always fond of Indians, but I honestly don't know what this one is. Can anyone identify it?

[​IMG]

I know these mean more to me than anyone here, but just thought y'all might get a kick out of seeing some "back in the day" rides...

2. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

Nice pics. I love seeing the old cars in their natural environment.

3. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

100% Great. 39 Willys! Killer. Slim

4. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

I know it dosent matter but is your dad sure that Willys was a 39? Its a 37/38 nose but Willys was known for using left over parts on the early next year models. Its hard for me too see that clear in your picture but if I had to guess the car looks more like a 37 to me. Because it looks like there are no drip rails which was a 37 only deal. Its a cool picture and thanks for sharing, I cant get enough of these early Willys pictures.

5. Awesome pix....love that Willys.

Rat

6. 73super

73super

Your Dad was cool. I've seen old pics of my Dad's rides too... They sure were different people back then... ha! Guess it's the same with my kid.. but I want to make sure he's surrounded by cool cars while he's growing up so he catches the bug as well. Great pics!

7. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Ya know, I never heard HIM say what year it was, I was GUESSING, so you could be right and I could be wrong... but I DO recall him saying it was a DOG with the 4 cylinder!:D

8. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

He really was... and I'm glad I finally came around to realizing that when he was still around! :D

FWIW, these cars were only the start of it for him. He owned more cars than I can count over the years...

9. haychrishay

haychrishay

Cool pic's! Where in Iowa is he from?

10. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

He was from the West Bend area originally, moved to Burlington where he met my mom and that's where they stayed. I moved to NC from Iowa in 1986... Used to love to go to Knoxville not far from you and watch the sprint cars run!