Register now to get rid of these ads!

America Pickers T.V. Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcmarz, Mar 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainh8r

rainh8r

Never forget that there are a couple of camera guys, a sound guy, and probably a producer hovering around there with lots of gear to make it work. This isn't like the owners don't know what's going on. About as real as wrestling.

2. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Most of it is staged.

These types of show are all made the same way. A cameraman, producer, and audio guy are expensive, so they don't follow these guys around all week to find one place to shoot.
    A scout goes out and finds a place that would be good to shoot. The property owner has to sign a release to appear on TV. Then the 'Picker guys walk through it to find out what he has. The camera gets in position inside a closed garage. Then the Magic happens; the guys come in and act surprised, like they have never seen the stuff before.

Whatever they pay on camera will be the bargain price, because they probably give the guy full retail in the end --after the tape stops. That is the price of TV my friends.

3. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Hey rinh8r, you work in Hollywood too!

Dude, don't be putting down Wrestling. That stuff is real.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. I'll watch every minute of it. I also watch the pawnstars. Get past the drama crap and it is still something interesting to watch. They're out there finding stuff that we drive by everyday. If they would pay me to go picking, I'd be there in a minute. They sure aren't making much money if they are depending on what they have bought so far. They have run into some hoarders, and also some guys that are much better at bargaining than they are.

5. Deuces

Deuces

Wrestling??? Real????? NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. James427

James427
    BANNED

I laugh at that show too, but I still watch it. I make more on one car then they have all season. Where is my camera crew??

7. I like to watch the show but that guy Mikes laugh and sayings like "Freestylin" or "Window time" make me wanna knee him in the growing. oh and keep in mind they just run and cut clips for the comercial they may be paying $5000 for a whole diffrent car.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  8. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

A lot of the "values" they put on the stuff they find is B.S. If they pay $5000 for that Plymouth, I've got some shit they can buy.

9. Racrdad

Racrdad

Funny thing is most of the time they pay the owners asking price for the item and a bunch of you guys say they are crooks? None of you ever brag about the deals you get at the swap meets do you? Does that make you a crook too? No, not in my opinion. Its freakin TV guys, you think all those people just act so normal when a TV crew shows up at their door with those two guys. Most of it is set up ahead of time, its not all spontaneous like you imagine it is. Its just TV, you know, entertainment. Dont over analize it, either enjoy it for the old stuff you get to check out from the comfort of your recliner or shut the darn thing off and quit your whining.

Just my .02

10. gump

gump

absolutley how much for it my kids want one of them badly!

11. kevintothej

kevintothej
    from Arizona

I watch the show just to see some of the neat things they have on there but do not take the show seriously, it is a tv show. I am wanting to see him buy that Plymouth for $5000 then show him finding out it aint worth crap. HAHA!!

12. Plymouth

Plymouth

I Have a 1940 Plymouth and thats no 1939 Plymouth on the commercial... Its a 1940 Plymouth Coupe... Its a good deal for$1500.00 , Unless its one of those cars that one would call a survivor., Then if its all there and Runs and is bought with the intention of detailing it only $5000.00 is a good price.. But all the Seats Headliner Etc must be cleanable. Hard to say if all cleaned up ,How much $ it would bring in todays market BUT I know there is a renewed interest in a Survivor Cars and Trucks...

13. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

x 2.

14. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

that guy is a ass ..

and how can you make a living off the stuff they pick 20 and 40 dollors here and there hell that wont pay for the gas for driving around and the overhead plus the girl running the phone ???? yea yea ita a tv show ..

15. 1930roadster

1930roadster

16. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

This is nothing new. people who don't know always think there garbage is worth a mint because it's old. E-bay and the rat rod made some prices go up/but that's when people could take equity out of their homes to buy/build cars.
    I bought a 41 plymouth coupe in 1993 for $600 then drove it home. that was just after looking at a model a coupe body and Frame for &5,000!!! in 93 you could buy a restored car for $8,000.
    This show...(if anybody's watching) will probably just unearth some good junk that might otherwise be destroyed. The prices only go up through popularity and economic surplus... Alot of people don't have the excess funds to buy the things they did 10 years ago..

17. mac762

mac762

My Buddy calls them, "American Tweakers." He says when his old lady is visiting her sister, he'd gonna go out, "Picking." I bet he does better than those two lames.
    PS I watch the show, but I suffer from insomnia, I try not to let those two dorks get in the way of me enjoying some junk.

18. plan9

plan9

ok hot shot, lets go to the next LB/pomona swap and compare notes? ;)

ironfly28 - i agree... the retards using home equity to buy a car probably no longer own land. a good deal really lies with the seller.

19. bigbubba

bigbubba

im wondering when they are going to do an episode full of clips of everytime they've been ran off of someones property with a shotgun or had a pistol stuck in there faces after knocking on somebodys door
    FINK[/QUOTE]

I saw a preview the other day where they are on a porch and you see a shotgun barrel come out the door, The next thing they show is both guys running like madmen for thier van .I laughed my butt off cause i had just told the wife if they tried half thier crap around here they would be shot

20. Hot Water 6

Hot Water 6

Introduced to the show last night, and was a little shocked at what some of that stuff was "worth". Of course it's only worth what you can get for it. Have to work late tonight, but knowing the history channel, they'll play the same episode 75 times over the course of a week.

21. Just Jones

Just Jones

According to the Pickers website, it's a 33 Plymouth.

Anyway, I'm going to watch tonight. Might be a little more to the story here. Also, I understand they come across a stash of vintage motorcycles too, so this will be fun stuff.

22. TERPU

TERPU

Two complete Douchebags. That's all I have to say about thaaaat.

Tim

23. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

I dont know..................I kinda liked the show.
    Yea- it's staged but it's a whole lot better that the rest of the crap on TV now.
    At least they aren't screaming at each other.

They do suck at dealing. They pay asking price for everything.

24. 34dodgehemi

34dodgehemi

Yea, These guys have no idea what there doing, they walk past good stuff to buy the crap!! They were set up at Hershey PA this past year, they had a few things for sale. When I asked about one of there items they told me they thought it was sold, then it sat there for the rest of the week??? I think they were fishing to find out what it was worth?

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

itsa hoot.
    Most of the places they go look like good country folks gitten snookerd by them city boys. They wont influence any prices that I can see. We are all "pickers" I got a roterisserie set it and forget it for $5.00 saturday. Lovin them estate sales.

26. cadillac daddyo

cadillac daddyo
    from wichita ks

amen to that

27. T. Scott

T. Scott

Im not a fan of the guys that are on this show, they are complete JACKHOLES!! however, I am a fan of Cars and Parts so ill probly watch threw my fingers and cringe when they speek about anything at all ... Could they find a more rude pair to put on T.V.??

28. stepsideclyde

stepsideclyde

ain't bad, better than nascar smarts, that is for sure, kinda got a thing for the lady at the home base, Danny

tc

29. Deuces

Deuces

I haven't seen this show yet, but reading what you guys have posted... Sounds just like another F.U. er screwed up reality show.. I can't stand any one of them... Just my .02 cents worth.

30. With all television shows you take it with a grain of salt,,it's entertainment.nothing more nothing less.

Some will enjoy it will others,,like a lot of you guys that find fault,,personally,,I laugh a lot,,they remind me of a couple of my friends and at times myself.

As my Granddaddy Addams use to say,,"Television will never be as entertaining as Corn Liquor"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.