Register now to get rid of these ads!

First DRIVE-IN Movie ever watched...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early '60s, saw To Kill a Mockingbird at the "Blue Sky" drive-in here in Michigan. Us 5 kids in our pajamas in the back of Dad's 1959 Chevy station-wagon. With all the seats folded down, that Chevy had a LOT of room!

2. historynw

historynw

Can't remember the movie because we went so often. My neighbor used to steal his parents Ford County Squire wagon, some pillows, a mattress, bottle of Boone's Farm and Lambrusco and it was off to the movies. We were lucky because there a bunch in the area. I can still smell that greasey food bar with its shrimp boats, hamburgers & fries being cooked up. I think we saw Soylent Green, lot of b-movies & sci-fi stuff. We still have 3 left in the county. They was a movement to re-open one old one for crusie nights but it fell through. Always great fun, I just don't remember much about the movies...was too busy.:rolleyes: You can get also 3 people in the trunk of a 73 Fury.

3. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

Maybe not the first but the one liked the best 1969 James Bond- On Her Majesty s Secert Service.. The best part when skiers fell into the snowblowers.
    1964 Galaxie Station Wagon,Fairview Drive in, Boise Id
    [​IMG] <!--google_ad_section_end--><!-- google_ad_section_start -->

4. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>>,My senior year in Hi-School ,,1961,,after the Prom ,,the locals didn't want us Seniors going out n drinkin' ,,SO ,,Midnite,,they arranged to have a free movie for us all,,,"A Summer Place",,only lasted a couple hours ,,so 3;00 am we all went to a keger beer party at a local camp ground with a small lake ,,we were there 'till the sun came up ,,
    BUT ,,the theme song for the movie ,,"A Summer Place" still rings in my head and brings back sum wonderfull memories ,,and a tear or two ,,"Linda Lou" where are you ???? Lol,,Lol,,Lol,,

5. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

Batman returns, in a 92 grand prix, well thats the first one I remember

6. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

JAWS... I think I was 9, wouldn't go swimming at the beach for months.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

8. 63dan63

63dan63

Planet of the Apes at the 75 drive In in Sioux City, Iowa. I remember it like yesterday. My Dad pulled the 1964 Chevelle wagon up to the speaker post and drove over the concrete base. The damn thing tipped over and did some significant damage to the drivers door.

9. borntoolate

borntoolate

Not my first drive in movie, but the first totally cool drive in movie experience. I took my son in the 66 Fairlane last fall to the local drive in to see back-to-back Smokey and the Bandit and American Grafitti. How cool was that? http://www.franklindrive-in.com/

10. forty1

forty1

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  11. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I dont remember MY first drive inn movie. I did put on a Great little shindig last summer. I think my boys would have to say.... American Graffitti... We had a drive inn in my back yard ,very cool.

12. 33Tudor

33Tudor

Shit, The Bronco is now a swap meet!:(

13. devilleish

devilleish

Up In Smoke, I believe. All I truly remember was being small enough to fit behind the seats in my parents' '69 Fiat 850 Spyder, their only car till 1979. can't remember the name of the drive-in, haven't seen it in over 20 years, and it was gone by the time I went back the first time in '94. Just remember it was on Torrance Boulevard in Redondo.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. EEZI

EEZI

The first one I remember might be Robert Mitchum's Thunder Road about 1958. My dad loved that one and we went a couple times. We had 5 Drive-Ins within 30 minutes of home in the 60's and went all the time. Cheaper than theaters, and you got to see two movies. Load up the car with food and pillows. My dad used to take us wandering around the aisles at intermission, check out cars and people. And as a kid, being allowed to try to stay awake until well after midnight, fall asleep in the car and not wake up until the next morning in bed.,,,great memories.

Man, I feel sorry for you younger guys that have never been. Find one and go.
    ANY movie at the DI in any car is a memorable time. Mad mad mad mad World and Graffiti are perfect for the drive in.

15. Lucky Twin Drive-in, Burnsville Mn. (Now a transit hub)

My Dad was their head projectionist, and good freind of the owner back in the sixties, early seventies (and with a 60's Olds station wagon, the Drive-in was our bedroom every other week-end).
    As with others, as kids it was more for the thrill of the playground (situated next to the snack bar, between the two screens, if you swung high enough on the swings you could watch scenes on the other screen).

The most memorable movie I saw there was "Blazing Saddles" when it first came out...
    I had a car, but was only fifteen (a few months shy of a legal D/L), so my buddy and I talked my older brother and his friend into going on a "chick" run to the movies, via use of my '64 Fairlane I was building.

While the movie was hilarious, the funniest part was when the campfire "beans and gas" scene was playing... my buddy and I started laughing and pounding/kicking on the back of the front seat...(little did I realize that being a Minnesota car, salt had taken its toll on the floor boards).

Long story short, in an effort to get back at us "backseat monkeys", my brother and his friend decided to simultaniously lean backwards on the front seat (trying to grab our feet)... without warning the rusted floorboard gave way and the front seat suddenly became a reclinable bench seat...,
    and if anyone's ever had a "Mr Bigshot" older brother, you know you gotta get your licks in when you can. While my brother and his friend were basically laying in our laps, my buddy and I immediately emptied our popcorn pails on their heads :D.

Then before the beat down erupted I yelled (though it was hard to be serious with burping and farting coming thru the speaker) I was going to go tell our dad he was trying to wreck my car.
    We lived to see another day... but my dad had me on popcorn clean-up and floor repair duty early the next morning.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  16. narlee

narlee

1960, Sink the Bismark. We had one local drive in but didn't go very often. One of the few times we went we saw a UFO. It was actually seen across western Wa. and part of Oregon and they weren't actually sure about it. It was kind of like a meteor but traveled fairly horizontally.

17. lewislynn

lewislynn

I really don't remember the first one but I do remember "The Graduate" was the first movie I saw at a Drive-In after returning from Viet Nam.

18. Smokey and the Bandit......and a few years later......Friday the 13th (the first one)
    Late 70's and I was pretty young.
    The theatre was shutdown shortly after that and was finally torn down in the mid 80s or so....pretty ironic that they put an auto emissions testing joint in its place

19. lewislynn

lewislynn

It's interesting, sad actually, how many went as a family outing without their parents having to worry about the content of the movie. When these days it wouldn't likely be possible.

20. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Double feature back in 61. Physco and 101 Dalmations. Hell of a combo.

21. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

Anyone in the New England area interested in a cool Drive In Hot Rod Show, the date is Sept 11. Rodz And Reelz At The Rustic. The Rustic Drive In, Rt146 In North Smithfield Rhode Island. (401) 769 7601. Gates open at 4pm. Cost is $20 a car load. We'll have live bands, pin ups, full bar, great food, and of course some great oldies on the big screen. Last year we played American Graffiti and Smokey And The Bandit. It was a blast!! We also host a Poker Run And Pig Roast on June 27. It's a traditional Poker Run, aprox. 75 miles, follwed by a Pig Roast served up by Wes' Rib House. 38 Dike Street, Providence RI, 02909. We start at 10am at The East Providence Yacht Club, 9 Pier Road, East Providence RI 01914. Last but not least we have our infamous East Coast Illegal Mini Bike Race. You'll have to go to The Rhode Aces Car Club face book page for details on the date and location, or follow the thread here on the HAMB. Looking foward to another great season!

Geoff
    Rhode Aces C.C.

22. hotrod1933

hotrod1933

One that sticks is ENDLESS SUMMER at the Wellfleet drive-in

23. Magnificent 7 at the Drive In in Goleta, Ca.. We climbed over the fence and sat down in the back row and turned up the speakers. It had to be in the early 60's.

The first time in a car was to watch G.I. Blues, that was at Goleta also.

24. As a 5-year-old in '53 saw "It came from outer space" with parents at the drive-in and couldn't get to sleep that night.
    [​IMG]

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Crap, I'm really old.

Attached Files:

26. I remember going to see "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" in the folks blue '59 Buick Le Sabre, Not sure if that was the first but I sure do remember it well, I got scared when the car crashed and burned in the beginning. Wow! What great FX they had in the day. :p

27. jimmyv

jimmyv

Took my kids to a drive in 5 or 6 years ago so they could see what it was like. I was a bit disappointed. No tinny sounding speakers to hang on the window. You tuned your radio to a certain station to hear the movie. We saw Monsters Inc so that is the "last" movie I saw at the drive in.

28. bct

bct

Big Red 1...oroville, washington....when you could cross the border with a nod...

29. 51delivery

51delivery

I remember going to see Jungle Book and Swiss Family Robinson. Probably in a 1968 Fury III 2 door hardtop. Lat movie was Fast Times at Ridgmont High in college.

30. I saw the sequel/mashup called 101 Psycho Dalmations...in that one Cruella DeVille wears a hockey mask with spots on it...still haunts me