Register now to get rid of these ads!

a new look with old style? or just cheesy.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

lol apparently im good at picking hot topics? Never guessed it would take some of the side notes its taken..

Kevin has started working on the truck.. the bed is on now, (if ya'd come to a hamb breakfast once in a year!! or two! ) Kevin is supposed to be sometime getting the truck in for body and paint.. just have to see how far we get before the school year is up.. more than likely I will have a shiny paint job of some sort.. solid or metallic ?? dunno yet. Im thinkin a light silver blue and white (silver blue poly- for the old timers) or factory arcadian blue and white is an option im exploring. I would consider the topic here a backup plan.. something I can do easily. however, I want to do this technique on something... this truck or something else I do in the near future.

[​IMG]

As soon as kevin gets it in again, im going to drop it 3.5 inches in the nose and about 2 or so whatever it takes to make it right in the rear.

2. 65fordguy

65fordguy

One I saw here on the hamb somewhere...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. There is no accounting for taste. Don't waste your breath trying to convince someone that something they regard as crap is really nice. And vice versa.

Not trying to convince anyone of anything, but fake patina reminds me of fake or 'crafty' faux antiques, or more fairly decorative items, made of molded resin crap in China, finished with the same antiquing techniques. Remember the ceramics class craze of the '70s? Hausfraus would get together every Wednesday for a hen party. They'd buy these white, raw, molded 'ye olde' ceramic boots, plaques, crocks, vases. Hausfraus would sit around a table and cluck and sand and scrape smooth the mold ridges and then glaze their items using techniques to make them allegedly look aged. They'd leave their tchotchkes at the ceramic shop to get baked in the kiln and then picked them up the next Wednesday. Oh, the way their finished works caught the light, and stirred memories of the old oaken bucket that really was made of oak. Sigh. It was a way for ignorant rubes to decorate their homes. It made them happy. It got them out of the house. It was self-expression. Thirty or forty years later the crap would appear on an estate sale table, and then go into the dumpster unsold. No one told Ethel it was crap, because they liked Ethel, and didn't want to hurt her feelings. After all, it was just a cheesy old crock. It wasn't as though she lavished her talents and taste on something as expensive or significant as her car. Wait, what?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I got my 66 F250 apart for paint and I am considering aging it with primer showing through like it was when I bought it,it had more then primer showing as it had a bunch of surface rust too which I did not like. If it just had primer showing I would of cleared it and been done since its going to be a truck that gets worked hauling crap to the dump and scrap yard I really dont want it to look nice but did not want the rust getting worse,I am afraid if I put nice paint on it I wont use it like I intended and will keep the temporary beater truck and have another to buy license and insurance for. It will most likely just get a 20 foot paint job and spray in bedliner.

5. like the truck as is or paint it-your decision.

6. gump

gump

x2 i could not have said it better

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Pure cheese. Fake Patina is just that fake. A stupid trend that I hope goes away quickly.

8. If only everyone on here was as insightful as you appear to be...:)

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

I like fake big Tits

10. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Actually,I'm just a self opinionated 45 year old social misfit,born 30 years too late with an unnatural obsession for all things '50's/early '60's,hung up on shiny paint.But thanks anyway.
    Paul

11. mac762

mac762

You probably couldn't Mr.Foose. I thought you liked shiney paint? :D You need a hug?

12. People do fake patina so they can paint something right and seal it up and then make it look old, because the old, rough looking stuff generally gets more attention than the shiny fancy stuff. Well, the smarter ones do, the dumb ones just open something up so it will rot for real. But I have no issue with fake done to look good but not ruin the vehicle. Your car, do what you want.

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey Mac762, you can't deny you came across pretty strong when you "laid down the law" on what a shop truck is, and whether fake patina is acceptable. Don't be surprised when you find out you rubbed a few folks the wrong way. Why don't you post a couple pics of YOUR hot rod(s) and show us all the "right" way to do things. Or go away.... :D

14. mac762

mac762

Mac, I guess I shouldn't give my opinion when the original poster asked for it? I'm not gonna go away all butt hurt, I like the HAMB. I do appoligize for whoring up this post. I don't take back anything I said about that lame stuff.
    I might post up my 81 even though it's off topic as far as the year, it's been in red primer for 2 or more years now. It still looks good actually. Greasy fingerprints show up bad after something like a transmission swap, dishsoap seems to get them off pretty well.
    Could you post them for me if I emailed them to you? I'm at work and can't post pics here, but I can email them. I'm not ashamed of my cars.
    Josh.

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Let's not get into a pissin match.. Opinions taken and noted. Post some pics of ur ride man! Doesn't matter if it's 1942 or 1982 as long as it's cool to you! And your proud of it

16. Patina, pat-i-na, "a fine greenish crust on bronze or copper, formed by oxidation", at least that's what Webster's calls it.
    Maybe patina isn't the right word..huh?

Fad, fad, "a style, etc. that interests many people for a short time;passing fashion"

So people who don't like it, you should be fine, it won't be around that long anyway..unless, of course it is real, then it is merely old, weather-beaten, rusty, neglected, faded, worn out metal. Bottom line-do what you want to your car, and try to understand these passing "fads"..they are just that, "passing fads".

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Let's not see the late model shit... late 60's at the latest, anything after that really does not belong here.

No one wants to see that crap here. Isn't there a mulletmobile.com or some such shit?

18. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Lol I was tryin to be nice.

19. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Blaze your own trail, riding on any band wagon is for sheeople.

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

But this is the Traditional Bandwagon... :eek:

21. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FORDGUY...well i like that old P/U, and i realy like the buick headlight's. but personaly i like a good paintjob! to each his own...POP.

22. mac762

mac762

23. I hate paint. It should be rusty. Every panel, every nut, every bolt. With rust holes and rodent crap in the seats.

I'm in the do what you like crowd, and if you don't like it STUP THE HELL UP and keep on walking. Don't insult other people's stuff, they probably worked hard on it (or spent a big chunk of $$$) to get it there. Lay off, relax and enjoy the moment.

24. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

Lmao whats a stup ??????

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Either you are being sarcastic or are in the wrong place. :rolleyes:

26. 117harv

117harv

re-animator makes a typo, and thats all you can come up with for your post....117harv lmao.

27. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

This thread took a wrong turn somewhere..... :confused:

For the record, whether I like the OP truck or not, I can certainly appreciate the work that went into building it.

28. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

It isn't the right word for "a fine greenish crust on bronze or copper, formed by oxidation".

The right word for that is "Verdigris".

Patina is a general term that can mean this effect, but it also describes other aging effects and their appearance.

29. mac762

mac762

The right word for that is "Verdigris".[/QUOTE]

We have a river running through town, the Verdigris River, I've always been told it's an Indian Name for "Green River". Boy this thread has gone way off track.....
    I do like the original truck in this thread. I guess paint is easy to change........

30. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

We have a river running through town, the Verdigris River, I've always been told it's an Indian Name for "Green River". Boy this thread has gone way off track.....
    I do like the original truck in this thread. I guess paint is easy to change........[/QUOTE]

Yup...Indian name...from the French and Greek tribes of Europe! :D

It's actually a very common issue with the brasswork of seafaring ships.
    Poison too...almost like the subject of this thread! :)