Register now to get rid of these ads!

'49-'52 Chevrolet engine /trans swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

OK , I posted this thread a couple of weeks ago , and I did search it , but I cant find it , so , I have a 1951 Chevrolet Fleetline(avatar) , and I bought a 1963 Chevrolet Belair for the 283 / pg combo thats in the car , I found a set of motor mounts at www.speedwaymotors.com , part#135-3273 , but I cant see how this mount will work , what I'm asking is , I know there has been countless swaps of this nature by you guys on here , I'm hoping you have some pics of this swap , in depth at the motor mount area , so I can better get a grasp of how to tackle this , did you use something like the front mount setup like the tri-five chevy set up? , or side mount ? , lets see some of your setups , thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. One year of the 49-54s has different mounts than the others. The CE mounts are made for the front-mount holes as on 49-50 anyhow. They just bolt on the side of the block. Unless your '63 is too old to have those type motor mounts? I forget.

Can probably use the rearend from that car under the '51 too, but it seems kind of a shame to hack up a 4dr hardtop that old for parts; when I look for a parts car I pick on 1980s stuff no one cares much about.

3. Check out chassis engineering. They have really well engineered stuff. it's not chassisengineering.com. not sure of the website address. You can always make your own to work with the stock V8 mounts. See if you can find DIRTYT's post on it.

4. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

I'm gonna usea Nova rear end out that I have , its already set up for my car as I took it out of a '52 Chevy that I'm parting out , by the way , whats a CE mount? , is that center engine moount?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Chassis engineering out of Iowa has the mounts for this deal. (CE)

6. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Thanks , but , how do I search him out? , I cant seem to find him

7. badshifter

badshifter

Attached Files:

8. Gene@Gearworksmfg

Gene@Gearworksmfg

9. Hank

Hank
    from Wisconsin

That's what mine look like. I had to notch the frame piece a little to get it to fit the way I wanted. No issues otherwise.

10. ttarver

ttarver
    from austin

I used the Walton fabrication motor mounts and tranny crossmember on mine and everything dropped in without a hitch! Check them out. They have good stuff!

11. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Are those center engine mount , or front engine mount?

12. Those are the CE motor mounts I was talking about.

13. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used the Chassis Engineering mounts also, and placed them exactly where the instructions said to. I welded them in, after breaking off the first drill bit. Fit perfectly, althought moving them forward just a touch would be better. I did'nt like the trans mount, as it's not removable, being a strictly weld in affair. If anyone wants a FREE trans mount for 49-54 Chevrolet, PM me, you pay shipping. I wound up using a Dodge Dart trans cross member, modified to fit, and it worked great for a drop out trans mount. What are you going to do with that 63 Bel Air 4 door? It would make for a good project also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

14. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

well, less the motor , trans , and the steering column , its for sale , I'll cut ya a deal , give me $400.00 for the rest of it , sound fair?

Attached Files:

• 631.jpg
      631.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
    • 632.jpg
      632.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
    • 633.jpg