Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

Thanks Little Fauss-it would have taken me awhile to ID those in this set! I don`t think I would have gotten any of them right without research.

Do you know what year this would be?

So my guess on that #1 being Pancho was correct. I didn`t think that looked like Larry Dickson in the car.

Thanks Rich! Another great set of Reading USAC Sprinters.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  2. racer5c

racer5c

send me a private message if you want to get ahold of Stapp

3. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Heading to SoCal this weekend to drive vintage cars in a three day meet at the two mile Fontana(Auto Club)Speedway. I'll be wheeling the red, white and blue
    Carl Schulz "Boyle Valve" Miller replica..... Stop by and say "HI!"

Attached Files:

4. Managed to do a little work on my Street Sprint,and my rear tires finally got here and got mounted.....do you think the car looks OK ?

Rabs...I am really glad you decided to carry on,I have no history to draw off here in the UK, and if it wasnt for you and the boys, where would I get the inspiration?

Attached Files:

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

The car is looking great! I really like the hairpin covers. Are the front wheels the "real" brand?

6. ganga

ganga

Does anyone have pictures of the #1 flying frenchman Art Gottier?

He raced at Reading PA fairgrounds until 1958.

7. Offy

Offy

The Zero is Rick Ferkle at Plant Field for the Florida Winternationals in the early 70's as are the shots of "Wiley" Will Cagle in the #28 and Bill Utz in the #56.

8. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

I do remember him racing Midgets at Hatfield many times.

9. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Before my time,and my fathers collection came up empty...Rich

10. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Hey Uncle Billy,Heres a little something old,something new / like father,like son....Rich

Attached Files:

11. Hi,
    Hope this page that's just been created tonight by myself - http://www.oldracingcars.info/biography/roscoe-rann/ - and the photos on it are of interest to some of you - all the photos are from the personal collection of Roscoe Rann, the former sprint/midget driver.

Cheers,
    Richard

12. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Great pics Richard, thanks. Many of those were taken at Lakeside Speedway, Denver Co. I recognize Greer Manning and a few others but they are a little before my time here. Post your link at this site and the guys there should'nt have much trouble with names dates, etc:

http://autoracingmemories.com/

13. Jerracer

Jerracer

Just heard that Hal Minyard (64 CRA champ) and long time sprint and midget driver passed away. I posted this earlier but here it is again. This is '64 at Ascot. Hal is in the 14.
    Minyard-Gavin.jpg

14. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

Hey Rich, Nice shot of our car flying thru the air.Thats the night my daughter was born and you guys never called me about the race.LOL:) Thanks to you all our equipment always looked top notch. Thanks for all the hard work and support over the years.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

WE were kind of busy!!!! Breanna's helmets ready....Rich

16. URY914

URY914

New guy here with a question,

As I'm going thru this thread I see the Ford double overhead cam engine used. Every Ford DOHC I've seen has been in a Ford GT or Indy car. The exhaust on those cars exited the heads on the inside of the engine. I realize you wouldn't be able to do this on a front engine car. So what did they do, flip the heads? Was this done after Ford sold the engine off to Foyt?

Please enlighten me.

By the way I grew up in Tampa and we used to go to the Winternational Sprints at the old State Fair grounds which was not far from my house. From about 1970 until they moved the track in about 1976. I wish I had some pictures from those days. The track had very high walls and the sound of 40 cars in the main was deafening.

Thanks Paul

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

He was the 'Hal' in McHal helmets also.

Attached Files:

18. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.....'URY914! 'If you don't mind, I'd like to chime in and answer your question. I've told the story before but, in 1970 when Al Unser had just won the Golden State 100 at Sacramento in the Johnny Lightning car, I stood on the front straight-away and watched George Bignotti wrap plastic and duct-tape around the injectors on the engine. And George proceeded to tell everyone there standing around that would listen that, "yeah, what we do is just reverse the heads for the turbo-charged engine." (What he didn't exlpain was the turbo motor was also only 159cid.; and the dirt car engine was 255cid.) A lot was interchangeable on those engines. Also, you're a very lucky guy to have witnessed those years at the Tampa Winternationals. You'll notice throughout this site that there are pics from those days as well as on YouTube.com of video from those great days gone bye.

19. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

I see where my old friend and hero Hank Arnold is going to be inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame. A real gentleman. Killed at Manzy in 1967.

20. DRTRACER31

DRTRACER31
    from Irwin, PA

Ross Westover was my grandfather and the Circle 3 Sprint Car was a Trevis chassis and the body molds were made from a wrecked Kurtis. He made the fiberglass body panels himself. I think my uncle still has the tail mold and some body panels. He owned an automotive repair shop in Elkton, Ohio and the car was built in the attic of the shop one part at a time. The first version actually had a chrome cage. My father and I are still active in racing running an e-mod at PPMS near Pittsburgh. If anyone has any information on the Sprint car or the Black Circle 3 Oldsmobile Powered model A Ford modified that he owned I would love to have either of these cars back in our stable. Thanks!!!!!

21. racer5c

racer5c

22. URY914

URY914

Thanks Little Fauss. 255 sure doesn't seem like much. What size were the Chevy's?

23. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Back in the 60s (pre Silver Crown) stock block/pushrods were allowed 335c.i. I believe.

24. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Wasn't there a period of time when stock blocks were limited to something under 320 ci ?

25. Buildy

Buildy

IIRC 305 CU IN in the USAC sprint cars.

There was a combination some engine builders used, a 327 block and 283 crank.I think.

If I am wrong,I`m sure I will be corrected.

26. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sprints and Champ cars had different c.i. I was refering to Champ rules as LF mentioned the Sacto 100 in his response.

27. URY914

URY914

I used to ride my bike down to the fair grounds back gate where the cars were let into the infield. There would be beater pickups with a toppers on them with a single axle trailers with car, tires, tools and the kitchen sink straped to them. These guys would be from Iowa, N. Dakota and parts unknown. On Saturday my dad and brother and I would go to the races. It was a blast. I'm working my way thru this thread and downloading the pictures I come across.

28. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

they also used a block or a crank from a chevy 302,but cant remember which

29. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

HEY, we made #"500" heres a few....Rich

Attached Files:

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

A few more!