Register now to get rid of these ads!

car title problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskooloutlaw, Mar 4, 2010.

1. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I bought my '41 Ford with a bill of sale but I came up with a title but it is unsigned and the previous owner is long gone, the title has motor number on it not the vin. Any ideas on how to re register the car?

2. i'm sure if you look REAL hard you will find the previous owner , just have him sign it

3. Lalos53Ford

Lalos53Ford

Yep. The previous owner is still around. Just make sure he uses the same color ink...

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

I know I would be able to find hime were it my car

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

He's probly standing in your kitchen next to the ink pen jar.;)

6. I had the same problem at my DMV several years ago. I needed a form signed by the previous owner. I told the clerk that I didn't know how to contact him and she looked me it the eye and said, "I'm sure I saw him out in the parking lot, sitting in your car." I sez, "Oh yeah, him. I'll be right back." All DMV clerks are not jerks.

7. I bought my 64 GMC from a neighbor who was moving and had never registered or transferred title on the truck. I thought no problem (I got a Bill of Sale). Wrong, after putting 300 dollars into the truck to get it running I found out I couldn’t transfer the title or register it. The DMV told me to contact the last titled owner by registered mail and verify he didn’t still have an interest in the truck. I stood to loose what I paid for the truck and what I invested to get it running. :mad:

So, I sent the most official (read legal) looking letter I could write and tried to make it sound as if that owner may have liability issues regarding the truck. He never responded and DMV proceeded to title & register the truck to me. :rolleyes:

8. r8odecay

r8odecay

My brother here in OKC had very similar situation, he paid one of the 'title companies' to title 42 it for storage, about 150 bucks and 3 weeks, got a fresh new title in his name in the mail.

9. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

I'm right here.....where do you need me to sign at

10. skidsteer

skidsteer

Lessee, I got a pen here somewhere .............

11. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Yeah I had the same experience a while ago. No signature on the title so I went on a long and arduous quest to find the titled owner. I searched far and wide around the house and finally I ran into him at a local Dollar Store coincidentally right next to where they sold the pens ;)

12. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Does the Oklahome titles have a place on the front that the owner is supposed to sign as soon as they receive the title? Most people dont do that which means anyone can sign the owners name on the front and on the back to transfer the title. As long as the signatures match up all is well. I bought a 63 Riviera from a widow lady a while back and she didn't know where to find the title and didn't want to look for it. After I got the car home I found the unsigned title in the glove box. You know the rest of the story.

13. I usually find them if I hold the title up to the window and look closely.

14. junkjunky

junkjunky

If that is the engine # on the paper you'll probably need to barrow an engine block,flat bastard,& a stamping set from the owner when he signs for you !

15. flamed34

flamed34

This happened to my mother once when going to register a car...they needed my father to sign a form, but indicated that he was "probably sitting out in the car...just go get him to sign it" - wink wink.

So she went out...signed it...came back in...got the same clerk who promptly said, "he didn't sign this...you did...you need to bring it back when he signs it". I'm sure the DMV clerks had a good laugh during break over that one....

16. markjenks

markjenks

Just ask a friend of your to "tunnel from the other side" the old guy into the room and have him sign it for you.

Come on, really?! You need to ask? It's not like the DMV has a history of everyones signature to cross reference and verify.

Just have someone else sign it using a different pen as you.

17. Patalta

Patalta

If you go to the hamb-o-dex I Partout Chevys
    will do your title! Do a search under DMV

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

If the title is by motor, and the motor isn't with the car, nobody's signature is gunna help.

I just went thru this, but my county clerk was helpful, and issued a new title to the body serial number.

Anybody need a 49 GMC title?

Rich

19. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

Thanks guys, he is still by them ink pens but he won't go to get it notarized and these Oklahoma state hotels don't look like a good vacation destination. I don't mind a few bucks to keep it legit.

20. Be careful about the number on the motor. Ford did not put numbers on motors but instead put them on the transmission and the top of the left frame rail. Talking about the number on the motor might raise someone's suspicions and lead to a closer look.

Charlie Stephens

21. I have always been able to locate the previous owner.

22. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

We have 2 DMV offices located within aprox 15 miles. I have found it helps to go to 1 office with whatever paperwork I have, They will tell you what all you need, statemet of facts, odometer readings singed by seller, ect. ect. Then pick up the forms you need, fill them out, have the seller sign in the right places, (sometimes you have to take her out to dinner afterwards) then head off to the other office with all your papers in order,
    avoids any chance of getting the same clerk.

23. I had an old notary that is dead now but he worked magic for all of us locals, once he told me to use a different color ink pen, it always throws them off. It worked in my case.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the motor numbers. The previous owner had "motor change" noted right on the Texas title of my 48 Chev pickup when I bought it.

"Well after" you get the title in your name you might want to investigate getting that noted on the title if indeed the number isn't anyplace on the vehicle. I'd damned well want to know that there were no numbers anywhere on that car that were not the same as the ones on the title though. If the number is on the frame and it matches the title I'd say you are squared away.

25. rustyhood

rustyhood

All I can say in this situation is....I bought a 55 chevy pick up 2 years ago. The guy gave me a bill of sale. The Ky DMV gave me a name and address off the vin. I sent a letter with my phone number and got a call from the widow. She got me a new title and I sent her $200.00 for her trouble and to go out and enjoy herself. Sold the truck on evillbay for $2200.00 Me and my wife enjoyed ourselves!

26. brad chevy

brad chevy

Just sign the thing,make sure in the right place and put a realistic purchase price on it,all the dmv wants is your money.