Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

2. That's a more realistic price considering the last owner was asking around $400K!

Doing some more work to the "In-Bomber" this week, will post pics soon. Just been busy with everything else lately. I'm working on a little website too to document the car from start to finish.
    -Dean

3. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

A website would be great Dean! Theres few local guys in my area that remember that car and some raced against it at Sioux City and Thunder Valley dragways back in the day. Most of them are not on the net but like hearing about the car being restored! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks!

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/VDl2SnjUkkM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5IUfNoR7LkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5IUfNoR7LkI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Too cool!

Pete
    </EMBED>

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

The Ford/Chevy video brought to mind the day I drove by the Ford dealership in the fall of 1962 and saw a Galaxie 500 4 dr. ht, white with red interior (bench seats) and a 427/425HP with 4 speed. I remember thinking "Who would buy that combination?"

Turned out a guy I knew bought it and it was the family car, wife and three kids. The wife used to shop at A&P where I worked while in high school and I can still remember putting groceries in the trunk.

One Saturday night Charlie Hampp and I were riding around in Charlie's '64 Falcon Sprint and we had a speed contest with the Galaxie. Too bad we drove by a town cop in the process. Charlie would up walking for a good part of the summer.

I recall the Galaxie running in the 13's and had a hard time getting over 100 MPH.

6. super-six

super-six

Was advised to re-post this on the NHRA Junior Stock thread. Anyone remember this A/S Chevelle 396/375 that ran at the Fayetteville, NC dragstrip in the late 60's? It was owned by Bobby Brown and J.W. Taylor of Fayetteville and sponsored by Powers & Swain Chevrolet in Spring Lake. It would match up against a white Dodge hemi from Royal Dodge in Fayetteville and win about 50% of the time. I was stationed at Ft. Bragg and ran my '65 Comet at this strip on occasion. Fun times.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

any photos of Dave Bortmans "Budget Breaker" Chevy?
    or photos of these stockers from 1966-1970: John Blackstock, James Hogan, Newt Thomas, Bruce Wilkinson, Dave Merkle ,Jack Marks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  8. Cool! Any of them remember any stories?? It's always exciting hearing something from someone who was there, no matter how small of a detail.

The website I made is www.inbomber.com ...It's not finished yet, since I'm doing in my non-existant spare time, but it's coming along. I've got notes and photos all over the place, so I thought it would be good to put them all in one place. Patching in some of the last rust spots today in the trunk and inner wheelwells.
    -Dean

9. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Wow Tom, I never knew Ford built such a beast! I thought the Galaxie's engine in the TV commercial was from another car, i.e. hi-po model, for whatever reason they'd want to do that. I see now it was the real Mccoy. That makes it two such cars produced, the one you saw and the one in the commercial. Anymore out there?

I wonder if the Chevy's engine was a 409/425 combo? Can anyone tell?

Regards,

Pete

P.S. Anyone recognize the "professional driver at the wheel of the Galaxie"?

10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Do a search on this thread...it's here (somewhere).

Regards,

Pete

11. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

super-six,
    Great pics. I remember seeing the car run at Kinston, NC a few times. I’ve been told that the car was later owned by David Surles. Do you have larger copies of those pics?
    Thanks,
    Bob Rice

12. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

P.S. Anyone recognize the "professional driver at the wheel of the Galaxie"?

Looked a little like Bob Glidden to me.

13. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

That guy looks too old, Bob would have been only 19 in 1963.

In January 1969 I had to report to my new duty station at Ft. Riley, KS. The first car in the company area to catch my eye was a 1963 1/2 Galaxie 2DR HT that was sporting 427 emblems. I tracked down the owner who was a guy from Indianapolis named John Mattox. John told me that the car was the one that Glidden had driven to an A/S win at Bristol. The original engine was gone and it had a 390 in it.

In the early summer John decided to rebuild the engine and bought a Speed-O-Motive engine kit. One weekend we took a road trip to Kansas City where we visited Dick Harrell's shop. One the way home we stopped at Don's Speed Shop where I spotted a medium riser intake with carbs sitting on the floor with other used parts for sale. The price was $75. John said he wanted the setup, but did not have enough money for the purchase. Fortunately I did and we bought it. We were disappointed that the car did not run as expected then we were reminded that it weighed over 3700 lbs and it was in street trim.

This photo was taken at Manhattan,KS.
    [​IMG]

14. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Looking at the video you can see each of the engines when they do the X-ray through the hood. At 1:02 into the video, the Galaxie engine is shown to be a 406/405 with 3x2 carb set up. The Chevy engine is shown at 1:11 into the video. The engine is a 409/425 with 2x4 carb setup.

Carrying this a little farther, I pulled out my 1963 NHRA rulebook and then my NHRA Classification Guide from the 60-70 era. The shipping weight on the Galaxie 500 4-door sedan with 406/405 engine was 3904 lbs. The Impala 4-door sedan with 409/425 engine was 300 lbs lighter at 3604 lbs. Classifying the cars by 1963 rules put the Chevy in S/S while the Galaxie would fall into A/S. In 1963, cars were spotted off the NHRA National record. The S/S record back then was 12.00 seconds while the A/S record was 12.66 seconds.

In order for this to be a legitimate race, the Chevy would have to spot the Galaxie .66 seconds. Doing it that way the results at the finishline may have been different.

15. RPOVette

RPOVette
    from Bolton, CT

Dean, That is a tremendous web site you've put together. Check it out guys!

16. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

Wheels are chrome steel on front. Rockets on rear

17. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

18. YORK NOSTALGIA

The junior stock count as of today is 14 cars,

DOM

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  19. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Colesy, thanks for posting the 7 parts of the how to build the ultimate jr. stocker series That is the technical stuff Ive been craving!!! any body else have more?

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Had me fooled. :) First impression is Cragar S/S mags on the rear and polished Fenton Gyros up front.

Thanks for clearing things up.

Pete

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Almost a full field by today's standard, Dom. :) Speaking of full fields, during Jr. Stock's heyday, how many cars typically would show up for a WCS points meet, especially here in the Land of NED?

Pete

22. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

23. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Pete,

While I can't remember the car count at points races, I can tell you that I counted 21 cars one Sunday at US 13, twelve of which were National event winners or record holders. Tough crowd!

It would probably be a safe bet that the WCS meets would draw over 60 cars. Here is a shot of the staging lanes at the 1971 Maple Grove meet.

[​IMG]

24. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Terrific shot Tom! Here's (a bit of) the staging lanes @ Cecil County's Spring '71 WCS meet.

Most of the dozen or so well-know stockers shown have been identified on a previous posting of this image, but it's always worth another visit ... watta really great day that was!

[​IMG]

25. Islandworker

Islandworker
    from Illinois

:cool:In honor of page 300 coming up and the only engine I could think of, a 327-300hp Chevrolet in one of it's many configurations.

Attached Files:

26. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

Colesy, thanks again for posting the Jr Stock articles. great job of scanning all that stuff.:cool:

27. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Last night we had the pleasure of getting our old group of racers together for dinner. In attendance were: Alex Jarrell's wife Jeanette, son Dick, daughter Judy, George & Elaine Cureton, Charlie Hampp Sr., Tim Bishop, Bill Eason, my wife and I. It was great to spend a few hours with our old Jr. Stock friends and reminisce about the fun we had over 35 years ago.

Attached Files:

28. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks Tom. First points meet (and drag race) I ever attended was the 1971 WCS race at Raceway Park in May of 1971. That Saturday afternoon I witnessed more variations of 1955, 1956 and 1957 Chevys (most of them Jr. Stock) than I have ever seen at any drag race ever since. I can't recall how many Jr. Stockers were making time trials that Saturday afternoon but it sure was a lot! :)

That 1971 Plymouth Duster looks very familiar. I saw another photo of it recently. Hmmm...now where was that?

Here's a car for you Steve:

[​IMG]
    (photo by John Eichinger)

I'm not sure if it's a Junior Stocker (HR designation on windshield) but it sure could pass for one.

My father used to own a 1957 Pontiac like this except it was a 4-dr. model. It was bright green w/white rocket or whatever it's called. It was stolen from our driveway in May of 1969. I'll never forget that day.

Pete

P.S. Does anyone know what it's officially called?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  29. Wow that's a nice Pontiac. We were just talking about why you didn't see many of them on the strip back then. They couldn't have weighed too much more than a '57 chevy??
    -Dean

30. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

Fine looking group of young people right there! Looks like you had a good time.

did you tell george to come on in and visit?

:cool: